The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2011, 02:00 PM   #1
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Truck Not Centered

Im the second owner of this truck, my late great uncle was the first. It was hit at least two times when he owned it. I just notice this a few weeks ago. My front wheels stick out more on one side the other and there not centered.

The back are the same, yet one is close to the bedside and the other is centered. Does this mean my frame is bent just enough to cause this?
I see no frame damage, but before I spend anymore money on this truck I need to know if its worth it.
Attached Images

VDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Re: Truck Not Centered

The rear Wheels
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
Micks72

I would have to say yes it last is tweaked. If you follow behind it it would probably look like a dog running.
Posted via Mobile Device
Micks72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
67C10BUB

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that your frame is bent. Perhaps the cab was put on not quite centered on the body mounts (or pushed over in the accidents) and then the bad and front were put on to match (offset as well). Try taking some measurements from body to frame. If the measurements are off, then it probably just needs to be shifted over. If they are the same, then I would take some diagonal measurements of the frame to see if it is square.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
SCOTI

Is the alignment fresh? Adjustments there can make a difference as well.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micks72 View Post
I would have to say yes it last is tweaked. If you follow behind it it would probably look like a dog running.
Posted via Mobile Device
I've been behind it, it rolls straight. LOL
Old 08-25-2011, 05:02 PM   #7
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10BUB View Post
Perhaps the cab was put on not quite centered on the body mounts (or pushed over in the accidents) and then the bad and front were put on to match (offset as well). Try taking some measurements from body to frame. If the measurements are off, then it probably just needs to be shifted over. If they are the same, then I would take some diagonal measurements of the frame to see if it is square.
Does anyone know what numbers im looking for? You can see how the wheels stick out. Other than the front suspension, its still the same 40 year old mounts and rubber all over the truck.

SCOTI
Im due for an alignment and I can see adjusting the caster, toe, etc etc. But you cant adjust upper and lower control arm out or in, so I guess im lost on how an alignment would help the whole truck.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:43 PM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDOG View Post
Does anyone know what numbers im looking for? You can see how the wheels stick out. Other than the front suspension, its still the same 40 year old mounts and rubber all over the truck.

SCOTI
Im due for an alignment and I can see adjusting the caster, toe, etc etc. But you cant adjust upper and lower control arm out or in, so I guess im lost on how an alignment would help the whole truck.
As you adjust the caster, it effects where the C/L of the spindle winds up (within limited reason). If the caster is way off D-side vs. P-side, it could have an impact. I don't know if it would be as noticeable as in the pics, but it's something to consider when trying to dial things in.

The body placement on the chassis is a common issue on older vehicles. Small to moderate collisions over the years can easily shift the body toward one side or if the impact was to a rear corner it could 'diamond' things (one corner forward, the other back).

If the truck was known to have been in minor collisions, it's a good idea to have the chassis validated as being square so you're not wasting time/money chasing a ghost. Make sure the alignment is good (needs to be done anyway, right?). If things are still 'off', start measuring reference points on the body to the chassis & compare side to side (take as many diagonal measurements as possible).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 08-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #9
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
The body placement on the chassis is a common issue on older vehicles. Small to moderate collisions over the years can easily shift the body toward one side or if the impact was to a rear corner it could 'diamond' things (one corner forward, the other back).
Thanks Scoti:

The driver side was know to be hit especially when parked. In fact the driver side of the bed had Bondo from the tail light to the front of the bed behind the cab. And from the top crease all the way down. So the whole bedside was bondo. Driver side front fender and driver door, also bondo, just not as much. I've pulled 1 to 2 inch chunks of bondo off.

So your theroy of the body shift could be correct. I will get everything align and measured.

Thanks again.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:43 PM   #10
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDOG View Post
Thanks Scoti:

The driver side was know to be hit especially when parked. In fact the driver side of the bed had Bondo from the tail light to the front of the bed behind the cab. And from the top crease all the way down. So the whole bedside was bondo. Driver side front fender and driver door, also bondo, just not as much. I've pulled 1 to 2 inch chunks of bondo off.

So your theroy of the body shift could be correct. I will get everything align and measured.

Thanks again.
An impact requiring that much filler could also have affected the chassis (the 'diamond' issue I mentioned earlier). It would be worth it to get the frame checked for square.

I had one done in 09. The inspection plus the pull/straightening was $300.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG