The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Pics please of successful "textured" rattle can paint jobs??

I was cutting my gauge holes with my hole saw into my nice aluminum panel when the blade caught and walked across the face of the panel. I'm not too bummed out because the panel was almost too nice for a race car look. Almost looked like a piece of stainless. I'm looking to paint some kind of a texture over the dash to give a little contrast to the inside of the car. I have used spray in bedliner in different areas and really like the look. It has it's place though and my dash is not one of them.

I really like the look of "hammertone" paint but don't know if it successfully comes out of a can. I have seen some jobs where the texture is not even at all and it tends to collect is certain areas. I'm not sure if that's because someone tried to paint at a 90* as apposed to flat on the ground or what. I also realize that common sense isn't too common.

I'm not limited to the hammertone and would love to see different products in use. If you could post a pic, the brand/manufacturer and your technique, that would be awesome!!!
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
Shaky
Six in a row makes it go...

Re: Pics please of successful "textured" rattle can paint jobs??

I don't have any pics, but I used Harley-Davidson's black wrinkle finish in a spray can to paint part of a V-twin engine and it came out good and wore well.
“The height of sophistication is simplicity." - Clare Boothe Luce
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I just did this job last wek. The glove box door and ashtray were chromed. I masked off the edges and shot them with the Eastwood wrinkle black and am quite pleased with the outcome. The paint goes on like normal and wrinkles after up to 12 hours.
Attached Images

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

I got impatient and went down and bought some at the local parts house. I will be testing it on other metal and have two different brands. We will see.

BTW Greg......that looks damn good. If mine turns out like that in the color I picked, I'll be VERY happy!
Old 08-28-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I got impatient and went down and bought some at the local parts house. I will be testing it on other metal and have two different brands. We will see.

BTW Greg......that looks damn good. If mine turns out like that in the color I picked, I'll be VERY happy!
Thanks, considering my amateur status with things like this I am very happy with the result. I do have to say though the can of Eastwood paint was 20.00 which isn't cheap but then again, you get what you pay for....

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

Old 08-28-2011, 05:33 PM   #6

looks good Greg!
Old 08-28-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

I'll post mine when I'd done and we'll see if it looks like my dog drug his *#$ across it!
Old 08-29-2011, 06:03 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

I used Duplicolor spray on bedliner. Not a close-up picture,but it matches the dash. Imatched te grey on the glovebox to the dash,too.:
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:04 PM   #9
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I used Krylon wrinkle finish on the various dash panels seen in this photo, although I’ve used other brands with equal results. The secret to success I’ve discovered is to heat up the metal ahead of time, and keep it warm during and after the spraying. Years ago I preheated and baked the part in an oven. This produced consistent results, but also made the oven stink.

So for about the last 20 years I’ve used heat lamps. I have two permanently mounted over the bench where I paint small parts. I place the part about 20 inches from the lamps and heat it up for about 10-15 minutes. I then spray the part directly under the lamps. This allows almost total control of the wrinkling. If I want thin texture I use 2-3 coats. If I want heavy texture I might use 5 or 6 heavy flow coats. Painting under heat lamps prevents runs, and completes the wrinkle effect within minutes rather than hours, and is consistently uniform across the entire surface.

markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:03 AM   #10
cdowns

i've used wrinkle paint on alot of different projects,krylon,rustoleum and a few other brands . and have had best results when curing to do it under a heat lamp for faster more texture finish

eastwood is so very overpriced for all thier products, why pay a premimum price and shipping for a product that is available at your local hardware store or autoparts store
eastwood only manufactures catalogues every thing else is just made for them and rebranded
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:42 AM   #11
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
i've used wrinkle paint on alot of different projects,krylon,rustoleum and a few other brands . and have had best results when curing to do it under a heat lamp for faster more texture finish

eastwood is so very overpriced for all thier products, why pay a premimum price and shipping for a product that is available at your local hardware store or autoparts store
eastwood only manufactures catalogues every thing else is just made for them and rebranded
Sounds like you have problem with the Eastwood Company and are using this forum to vent !!

Old 09-01-2011, 10:02 AM   #12
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
This is true and also true for MANY products on the market today. Sometimes in can work in our favor though. You can get some good Summit/Jegs brand items that are higher quality that what you pay for and just as good as the name stuff. It can work both ways so you just have to pay attention.