The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2003, 06:14 PM   #1
chiphayes

vin tag help

i recently finished resto on a 72 sb,fleetside ive had for almost 20 years,and you know the boxes of parts you have during this.well one of my boxes had my vin tag from the door jamb in it.and i have looked for 2 years now and im not going to find it ,i know i can go to a junk yard and buy a title and take that vin tag and put on it,but ive had this truck for a long time, and didnt know if there was someone that could make one.i would like my original title to match the vin on the truck.
chiphayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 09:51 PM   #2
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

I don't think you can make one, I guess your only option is to get one from another truck but I am not too sure about the junkyard option, they might record the vins as salvage vehicles and that may cause a problem when you go to register it. An option would be to buy a cheap truck and take the tag off of it. The tags are held on with special rivets if you want to make everything look legal, you can buy the rivets but they are expensive.
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 10:20 PM   #3
Bowed

DO YOU NEED IT

I would not worry about the vin plate if the truck has the original frame , because the frame on a 1972 should have the full vin number on the top left frame rail under the cab ( usually behind the front cab mount ) and has a " PARTIAL " of the VIN on the top of the left rail near the power steering gear box . From what I know of what is required if the title matches those FRAME numbers , it is legal to register and transfer . Law enforcement like D. O. T. and registry inspectors focus on the frame for the final determination on the right numbers for a truck .
Bowed is offline   Reply With Quote