The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2011, 12:56 AM   #1
gunslinger

56" rear springs 1970 4x4

Wondering if anyone has upgraded to 56" rear leaf springs on a 1967-1972 C20 pickup. I would like to do a 6" lift using the ORD shackle flip. They offer it in a 4" lift according to the web site. I cant find 56" EZ ride springs with two inches of additional lift built in. Tuff Country list 4" and 6" from what I have found. If anyone has done it, what did you use as far as flip length, springs, shackle length? What other areas need to be addressed as far as axle centering, geometry? Not to be disrespectfull, but I called ORD and a female answered the phone who might not have fully understood my questions although she was very nice. Any help would be appreciated. Looking for flexability and load carrying capacity similar to what Dirty Larry did to his rig.
gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:28 AM   #2
lukefalls

Re: 56" rear springs 1970 4x4

I've done it. I actually used stock 56" springs from a junk yard with a 2" block. The used an Off Road Design shackle flip. To have a usable shackle angle, I used the left bracket on the R side and the right bracket on the L side.

Its very flexible. You'll want a good quality shock with correct valving. Call Bilstein tech support and they'll help you get the right ones. As far as load carrying goes, with flexibility come sag with load. If you want to carry a load, keep the overload springs. You'll lose some flex though.

lukefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
drunkbus

Here's what I did for 6" in the rear of my Blazer. I have a 4" ORD shackle flip, stock 56" rear springs out of an early 80's 3/4 ton chevy truck, 1" zero rate to recenter the rearend and get a little more lift, and a 5" shackle from DIY4X to get a better shackle angle. Like mentioned above you also mount the shackle flip brackets on the opposite sides when using 56" springs.
Attached Images

drunkbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
gunslinger

Thanks for the help fellas.
gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote