The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
stegal

Ebay?

Hi
Has anyone bought a truck from ebay and had it shipped? Have you bought it just from the pictures without seeing it in person? Also what does it take to import a truck to Canada. I live in Canada and the chioce of trucks is pretty slim. Thanks to the cold, wet salty winters. I am rebuilding a 1972 long box 350 automatic and trying to find a parts truck. The bottom of my box is rusted out and I need to find another one. I figure it is cheaper to buy a whole truck than buy new parts. Where do you buy your new parts from? I need some interior pieces.
Thanks.
stegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
71swb4x4

Re: Ebay?

Please don't buy it by pictures only. Post on this board where it is located and see if a local board member can go look at it for you.
I almost bought a truck in California but had a board member look at it first and it saved me a ton of time and money.
I looked at a local truck for a board member too.
Get someone who knows these trucks to put their eyes on it for you.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
dcasalena

I bought mine off ebay based on pictures and a lengthy phone call with very specific questions. But the seller wasn't completely honest in his answers and I ended up with some surprises when the truck arrived. Bought from Alabama and shipped to Massachusetts.
Definitely look at the truck in person or have someone who knows these trucks take a look for you.
dcasalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
stegal

Red face Re: Ebay?

Thanks for the advice. I was wondering if some of it is too good to be true. I bought a parts truck with out spending much time looking at it and it looks like I wasted my money and I don't want to do that again. Your input is appreciated.
stegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:42 AM   #5
70chevytruck

Bought a great looking truck on ebay and lost my $%#.

Never...Ever....buy a truck/car without independent inspection.

My 2 Cents.....experience is expensive.

70chevytruck
70chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
chewychevy67

i must have got lucky. I bought a 67 on ebay from the chicago area just on pics and a phone call. this was for a project but the seller was honest. as i tore the truck down everything he told me about the truck was what i saw. ttruck wasn't perfect but was everything the seller claimed to be. I don't know if i would do it again without seeing it in person. lots of $$$ and time on the line to mess with a junker left in your driveway if you dont get what you want.
chewychevy67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
1968SWBBigBlock

Bought one off of ebay - I drove 5 hours to pick it up =- far from his discription
I got all of my deposit back and cashed the check at his bank before I left town.
Lunati 60204 cam, Micro Trol lifters,
Ported Edelbrock Performer Rpm manifold armor coated, Pertronix Triple Strike Ignition
Holley 770 Street Avenger carb,Headers armor coated
Built by Watson Ruppel Performance in Sarahsville Ohio.
Hardshift Tranny Built Turbo 350,TSI 10" 3000 stall
12 Bolt Eaton Posi 4.10 Richmond Gears moser axles
18.5" x 31" Hoosier Pro Street Radials
ET Classic 5 Wheels - polished
Power Steering, Power Brakes,Disc Brakes,Tach & Gauge Dash, Tilt,Factory Air (gone)
Custom Paint & Body Work

Special thanks to my wife, my son and my money tree
1968SWBBigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #8
RossRinSD

How many times have we shot some emails back and forth with a guy, or maybe a couple of phone calls, and then showed up to look at some pile junk?

What happened to all of the honest sellers out there?
RossRinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:54 AM   #9
bw4sale

Bought two trucks on Ebay. The first one worked out great because I practically stole it. The second, my current project, was not as good of an experience. Lot's more rust and problems than the PO let on. I decided not to ever buy a truck on Ebay again without looking at it first. However, that doesn't mean I haven't been tempted a few times.

-'68 Stepside Project
-'98 Z71 Daily Driver
-Enough extra parts to build another truck and a half
bw4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #10
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

well I'm in Calif And i own about 9 of these trucks from 1964--72 and my 3 big things i look for is

1# is cancer any where.Places i don't want it to be in is the floor bards 2# on the roof any where and 3# None in the window pillars.Now rockers well there common and the back of the cab where dirt collects.But easy Fixes.

NB# 2 is A bent frame front or back that's about all i can say about NB# 2

NB#3 I don't want some one elses project. Things people do to these trucks what they take out and what they put in.Now engines are easy to take out as long as they did not alter the frame and the fire wall.Now i know there are some of you that Like a clean fire wall and do not drive your truck but on nice sunny days.

Now there are a lot of us that Like the factory equipment on these trucks Like the Heater box or the AC box.

There are so many want to be customizer's that build a one off truck.and get way over there head then decide that they have over 10,000 in the truck and want 9000 for something they think is cool.

Now i get into a lot of trouble on this site for posting what i feel about some people idea's of what they add to these works of art.

I do understand they you have the right to make it anyway you want it But sence i'm in the scrap and salvage business.I see so many of these once amazing trucks get all cut up and destroyed.and then just left alone to rot do to the lack of skill to finish it.

It reminds me of the 1980's mini trucks with the tilt beds all chrome front ends.Do any of you ever see them on the road or at the car shows anymore

NO

there a one hit wonder.

These trucks are like the 1967--1973 Camaro's there all gone out of peoples back yards into classic bone yards or are junked or rusted out

these trucks will be gone in less then 5 years they only made 8 million of them and half of then have become parts and a 1/4 of them have been scraped Be kind to these trucks they are a work of art nothing will be like these trucks agine
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote