The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2011, 11:13 PM   #1
DD1

Question about transmission for a 350 SB

Hi,

I have a 1971 Chevy C10, which when I got it someone had put in a 305 with a 3 speed automatic transmission.

I got my hands on a Chevy 350 engine, which came out of an 83 3/4 ton pickup, (a K20 I believe), and am considering switching over to a 5 speed transmission instead of using the 3 speed auto.

I was hoping someone would be able to tell me what type of standard transmission would be the right one to use, and of any issues I should expect by doing this.

Also, what are your thoughts in general about making the switch to a 5 speed?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Darien
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:24 PM   #2
Autoblueprint

Exclamation Re: Question about transmission for a 350 SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD1 View Post
Hi,

I have a 1971 Chevy C10, which when I got it someone had put in a 305 with a 3 speed automatic transmission.

I got my hands on a Chevy 350 engine, which came out of an 83 3/4 ton pickup, (a K20 I believe), and am considering switching over to a 5 speed transmission instead of using the 3 speed auto.

I was hoping someone would be able to tell me what type of standard transmission would be the right one to use, and of any issues I should expect by doing this.

Also, what are your thoughts in general about making the switch to a 5 speed?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Darien
Not just a trans swap...you have to change pedals...if you are going from an auto to a manual...of course it can be done if you don't mind all the labor and expense involved with that swap...I'd keep the auto trans and build it up or go to a 700R4...but I'd stick with the auto.

Check out what I did with mine:

http://www.autoblueprint.com/1971_pa...PageThree.html
Old 09-04-2011, 11:49 PM   #3
DD1

Re: Question about transmission for a 350 SB

Thanks, John. the truck was originally a standard, however they switched it to an automatic transmission with a 305 engine from an 85 Camaro. So it already has the clutch pedal. My current plan is to switch to a 350 engine i got from an 83 Chevy truck and hook it up to the auto transmission. I was reading up on it since my post and it seems like there is a lot more hassle to worry about by making the conversion, so I might be better off sticking with the automatic transmission.

I looked at your site, and yeah, I have never seen an under-body so clean before. Wow! your images reminded me of something - the frame of my car has this canister attached to it that I am assuming is some sort of fuel filter. Do you know what it is? I have attached a photo.

Thanks for your help and sharing your thoughts and your site.
Attached Images

DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:49 AM   #4
Autoblueprint

Post Re: Question about transmission for a 350 SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD1 View Post
the frame of my car has this canister attached to it that I am assuming is some sort of fuel filter. Do you know what it is? I have attached a photo.
Yes, I believe you are correct, that canister holds a large paper type fuel filter inside...there should be a 7/16" bolt at the top that holds the canister to the fuel inlet/outlet block...clamp off the fuel lines going into the block and unscrew the bolt to replace the filter. Probably be a good idea to replace the lines going to it too when you replace the filter element.