The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2011, 10:31 PM   #1
jserrato714

63 suburban newbie build first day

Hey forum,Whats up..Its good to be back on here checking out the progress on members rides. I decided to pick up this 63 suburban last night. I got it for a great price..Absolutely no cancer just service rust and a ad quarter..It came with a engine and tranny off a 89 suburban that was just bolted on but not hook up..the previous owner decided to cut some of the frame too, hell I dont know. Any Ideas please let me know. I decided to start tear down and I got pretty far... Its pretty much a roller now..I am media lasting tomorrow morning. After tear down I started feeling very overwhelmed ..Thinking I bit more than I can chew. I have never tried bodywork so that quarter is scary looking far from what I am used to fixing...also I have wired up 70's 350 but never an 89...It has so many wires. The old owner I guess bolted it on the 63 suburban frame and then decided to sell.. Can I strip all that 89 suburban crap and go old school..Not sure if all 350 blocks are the same... Here are some pics of how it came in and how it sits now.. I will load pics as I go throughout the days.. Feel free to comment and if ya can lead me in the right path as I am a total newb when it comes to classic vehicles. Thanks and God bless
Attached Images

Last edited by jserrato714; 09-08-2011 at 10:41 PM.
jserrato714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:34 PM   #2
jserrato714

Re: 63 suburban newbie build first day

Trying to load more pics
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2011, 10:39 PM   #3
jserrato714

Here are some more..check out the cut on the frame..Look at the quarter panel boys...There was so much rat droppings I could swim on them....
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2011, 11:35 PM   #4
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Nice burb !!

The frame is no big deal ... just weld in some new steel, grind and sand and your good !!

You pulling the body ??

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:24 AM   #5
jserrato714

Yeah the welding should be easy...Just dont know Y they would cut it...Also after the new metal is in I will have to re drill the holes for the perches.. Um body is staying on I think... I am blasting as much as I can the way it sits.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:59 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The frame was likely cut to be able to use the '73 and up motor mounts. The frame has to be trimmed to be able to do that.

If the '89 engine still has the TBI, that can be wired up and function just fine, but that depends on how you are with wiring. Converting an older vehicle over to TBI has been done many, many times, and is relatively simple as far as EFI goes. You can buy a stand alone harness, for fairly reasonable. You just need the ECM and connect a few wires. The TBI is kind of nice, once you get then setup, and are really easy to work on once you understand how they work.

Of course you can always remove all the TBI components and convert it over to a carb. You will just need to be sure to get an intake manifold fror a '86-'95 small block.

Looks like that 'burb originally had the 'Custom' trim, and I think I see a bent piece of it inside. Whatever you do, don't toss those pieces. Even if you don't want to reinstall it, someone here would likely be glad to buy it from you. That bent piece can probably be salvaged. Those pieces are not reproduced, and aren't very easy to find these days.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:22 AM   #7
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Not that it matters but the seat material is not original to the truck. The master cylinder is 64+. There's the steel reinforcement band around the passenger side door glass, it was option-able in 63 does your other door have it as well? Paint code 533, Glenwood Green two tone?
Going to be a nice truck once you finish.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1

Last edited by aerotruk63; 09-09-2011 at 07:30 AM.
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:57 AM   #8
Street Sweeper

Nice to see another 'burb guy on here. Looks like you've got a great truck to start with. I've got some of the same challenges with my quarter panels. not sure if maybe just a complete fleetside patch isn't the best way to go. Looking forward to the build.
Street Sweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:42 AM   #9
jserrato714

Thanks to all that replied. Yeah ok the seats I have original seats in the back yard...I probably will sell those and do something custom on there. Yeah the quarter panel seems over whelming this being my first major dent/body work. I wonder if I can work with a fleetside quarter. That would be easier I think, just cut and then spot weld...Any ideas boys...Also that passenger door is not og to the truck..Reason I know is cuz it dont have the holes for the upper trim pieces like the drivers side. Any ideas as to what doors fit the burban and if the doors are interchangeable from short , long, sub, panel etc..I did some research I think 60-63 are the same and 64-66 are the same not sure..Anybody?

Thanks Captain Fab for the info. Not sure on what to do...I was told that the engine ran strong when it was pulled out of the donor...I mean if it works why replace right? So All that good stuff like eldelbrock manifolds,valve covers fit on my 89 engine just like on my old 73 350 block? Tbi sounds good but I want it old school so ill stick to what I kinda know..You mention that they cut the frame to fit the 73 and up mounts? By mounts you mean the rubber mounts that bolt to the block or the perches? not sure on the perches Either im pretty sure they are not stock...I kind of figured that out fairly easy.. They look way bigger and longer the bottom bolt holes dont line up to the old holes on the crossmember..The motor was being held in place by the 2 holes on either side of the frame rails where the frame was cut...I am confused....why go through all of this just to put 73 and up mounts...im thinking that the blocks are different right....I know this is a must for big block installs but not sure for sbc's. I am going to run a stamp check on that block..the thing looks huge...It dont look like a 350 to me lol.They are bigger they seem than the original..also the holes you see on the frame are not the originals.After I weld new metal I am going to have to drill new ones like before. Not sure how hard that will be... If I keep that block what perches will I need? The originals (63)? And as far as mounts...I read 63-72? Thanks

Last edited by jserrato714; 09-09-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:52 AM   #10
aerotruk63

The doors interchange 60-63 C10-C80. The C40-C80 doors will more than likely have the steel trim around the glass as well as the 60-61 C10-30. It just means different door glass seal that's about it I think.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #11
gostranger
65 suburban vortec 5.3 bagged

Posted via Mobile Device
gostranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #12
gostranger

Welcome great suburban at least it isnt rotted these suburbans are gaining popularity dont get discouraged take your time and ask alot of questions we here on the forum will keep you going!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2011, 03:03 PM   #13
dthela

get a stock of bandaids, valium and a good line of credit! lololo looks like a pretty solid truck though. good luck!
dthela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:43 AM   #14
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

That '89 350, is not any different in physical size than a '73 350 or a '63 283, they are all small blocks. Small blocks in cubic inch size ranged from 262-400....all the same basic size on the out side, and will basically all install in the same space.

As for the motor mounts, I just assumed from what I saw of the frame that the PO installed the '89 motor mounts. Which consists of the upper, (also known as the clamshell), the actual rubber motor mount, and the frame bracket, that the motor mount bolts to. The reason the frame brackets did not bolt up like they should is likely because they were from a C10. The correct motor mount frame brackets to use on the older trucks are the ones from a C20 or C30. I actually prefer to use these motor mounts in a performance application. They will not come apart and let the engine move around. It sounds as though you want to go back to the original style motor mounts. If you don't have the original style frame brackets, let me know, I have a few sets. Yes the motor mounts themselves were used from '63-'72 in the trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jserrato714 View Post
Thanks to all that replied. Yeah ok the seats I have original seats in the back yard...I probably will sell those and do something custom on there. Yeah the quarter panel seems over whelming this being my first major dent/body work. I wonder if I can work with a fleetside quarter. That would be easier I think, just cut and then spot weld...Any ideas boys...Also that passenger door is not og to the truck..Reason I know is cuz it dont have the holes for the upper trim pieces like the drivers side. Any ideas as to what doors fit the burban and if the doors are interchangeable from short , long, sub, panel etc..I did some research I think 60-63 are the same and 64-66 are the same not sure..Anybody?

Thanks Captain Fab for the info. Not sure on what to do...I was told that the engine ran strong when it was pulled out of the donor...I mean if it works why replace right? So All that good stuff like eldelbrock manifolds,valve covers fit on my 89 engine just like on my old 73 350 block? Tbi sounds good but I want it old school so ill stick to what I kinda know..You mention that they cut the frame to fit the 73 and up mounts? By mounts you mean the rubber mounts that bolt to the block or the perches? not sure on the perches Either im pretty sure they are not stock...I kind of figured that out fairly easy.. They look way bigger and longer the bottom bolt holes dont line up to the old holes on the crossmember..The motor was being held in place by the 2 holes on either side of the frame rails where the frame was cut...I am confused....why go through all of this just to put 73 and up mounts...im thinking that the blocks are different right....I know this is a must for big block installs but not sure for sbc's. I am going to run a stamp check on that block..the thing looks huge...It dont look like a 350 to me lol.They are bigger they seem than the original..also the holes you see on the frame are not the originals.After I weld new metal I am going to have to drill new ones like before. Not sure how hard that will be... If I keep that block what perches will I need? The originals (63)? And as far as mounts...I read 63-72? Thanks
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:12 AM   #15
jserrato714

Thanks cap!! I guess ill worry about the motor when i get that far..thx for the great info bro .. I will take it step x step and see what happens...i just media blasted her..not alot of bondo i was surprised.pretty straight body...with the exception of that quarter..ima start body work tomorrow.. first time ive done it so will see how straight i can get her. Ima go to harbor freight and pick up a slide hammer kit with the welder for the slide pulling pins..hoping to get it close to og so that i use less bondo..hoping to hammer the whole outside in a few days then i will spray iy down with primer..any suggestions im all ears.. thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-10-2011, 10:40 AM   #16
Chevy Fleetside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
The frame was likely cut to be able to use the '73 and up motor mounts. The frame has to be trimmed to be able to do that.

But look at the professional job they did...
I am sure you will make it pretty again... I have an 89 year model Big Block in my truck. You have to run an electrical fuel pump because they started to cast the blocks without a fuel pump hole. I say get a good one and not one of the crappy $50 ones they sell at chain stores.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #17
jserrato714

Here are some pics boys of the subby media blasted and naked of its protection..Just my luck its sprinkling here in so cal un fnnn believable!!!!Im going to cover it with a tart and start bodywork now....Here is a pic of the driver side tail light....looks like a lot to chew I think..But I gotta take it step by step...It can look worse thank what it does now right?lol...

For Captain Fab or anyone with my previous block and mount concerns I took a pic of the motor mount and perch..Any ideas as to what year perch it is.. Thanks to all for the support, It is you that motivate me to keep on pushing forward, That and my wallet is empty so I go to do the work myself jajaa
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #18
Chevy Fleetside

That would be the 73 to 87 perches... That is why the frame is cut like that. Maybe you can clean up the cut better. I opted for these mounts instead. And if you look close, you can see I trimmed the frame also..
Attached Images

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #19
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

^^^^^^^^^^^^ those are also what I used for my LS swap. Good luck with your build, you got a nice start there and this board will help you so much.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:03 PM   #20
gostranger

Wow you are making fast progress looking good!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-10-2011, 12:56 PM   #21
jserrato714

Thanks boys.. Yeah Was about to start and the **** hit the fan..There is a thunder storm in my back yard dammm lol. Wow...that aint going to stop me on my way to harbor freight to pics up some bondo and the tools for the quarter repair.. Where did you get your tubular perches bro and how much?
Old 09-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #22
gostranger

I have seen them at speedway motors fairly cheap!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-11-2011, 03:54 PM   #23
jserrato714

Hey peeps here is some progress pics of the bodywork..What do you guys think about that quarter panel? Far of from what I started with lol.
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #24
aerotruk63

Doesn't even look like the same panel, you must be happy with your work!

Old 09-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #25
gostranger

Awesome job did you use the unispotter?lookin great you are making progress fast!
Posted via Mobile Device