The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Disassemble Auto Locking Hubs?

WTF? This has got to be the best kept secret in the history of the internet.

I'll admit...I have no idea how to disassemble a 4wd front end. How in the hell do you break down the auto locking hub assembly? Got loose hub nuts and I need to tighten it all up but I have no idea how to get to them.

How the hell do you get these things apart?
JCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
psuedopimp

Re: Disassemble Auto Locking Hubs?

okay i will break part of the secret... on the outer housing..there is a lock ring that you will need to use like a scratch awl or a small flat screw driver to get out. then there is a snap ring somewhere along the spindle o believe this is before the spindle nut and the next step. you also have the spindle nut that you will need the large socket with four cogs on it to remove. after reading this it still makes no sense. sorry. it has been awhile since i messed with them. just try to remove all the grease and you should find everything.
psuedopimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

psuedopimp, is correct. After removing the 5 bolt outer cap, there will be a snap-ring that holds most of the guts in place. It will look like two wires laying in a groove that is "cut-out" of some of the splines. Squeeze those "wires" together and the whole unit will slide right out. I forgot yesterday when I wrote this, there is supposed to be a little sheetmetal cover over the slot, covering the wires. They are not always there though.

After that, there should be a smaller snap-ring on the axle stub itself. This keeps the axle pulled up tight to the back of the spindle, which maintains the "seal" of the rubber seal.

At that point, you are into the actual spindle nuts. Be aware though that this is not as simple as a 2 wheel drive type spindle with a castle nut and a cotter pin. It is a "nut pack" containing 2 nuts and a locking washer.
In general, these do not "loosen" on their own, so be prepared to find more damage than you expect. A simple "tightening" is not likely to work....

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that this is on the passenger's side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.

Last edited by LONGHAIR; 09-11-2011 at 09:22 AM.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Got it. Thanks. Pretty easy once you know what it is that needs to be done.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
Altec
Getcha Pull

Good time for manual hubs... I hate locking hubs...
'96 Integra
Altec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #6
83GMCK2500

x2 on what Altec said...pitch those awful auto hubs in the scrap pile and get a set of quality manually locking hubs. Why GM EVER designed something that unlocks in REVERSE is beyond me.

1983 GMC High Sierra 2500, 4x4, RC/LB, 400 S.B., SM-465, NP-208, Corporate 10 bolt & 9.5" 14 bolt
1996 GMC Sierra SLE 3500 DRW, 4x4, EC/LB, Vortec 454, NV-4500, BW-4401, AAM 925 & AAM 1050
1997 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 4x4, Z71/F44, EC/SB, Vortec 350

My Introduction with my '83s History
New Daily, the '96
83GMCK2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
hatzie

This should help.
Attached Images

hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #8
InsouciantSoul

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, however I am having difficulties taking off my auto hubs. I've read the descriptions here, looked at the diagram, and watched this video

However when it gets to pushing the two "wires" together, I just can't get the piece out. Can somebody be more descriptive? Do you push both wires into the middle and then pull? Push them in or pull the wires out? I tried everything for am hour, and although the piece has give, it just won't come..
Posted via Mobile Device
InsouciantSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:27 AM   #9
JCampbell
Account Suspended

I used needle-nosed pliers. Grab each tang, squeeze, and pull. It takes a little finagling, but it'll come loose.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:33 AM   #10
InsouciantSoul

Hmm.. maybe mine is just being stubborn somehow. I had gripped them with pliers, screwed a few of the tork bits in and yanked on them with vice grips at the same time. still no budge. I've been having problems with my hubs, and there has been some grinding noises, so maybe it's jammed up back there? I don't think so however, because it still (without touching the wires) has about a cm of give in and out.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:50 AM   #11
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

some may have two rings
outer within 1/2 inch of outside edge
inner try wiggling the two "tangs" into the middle of the groove
it's a tight fit pulling it out,may feel suction as it releases
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #12
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

That video is very misleading and downright wrong in more than a few places.
First of all, he didn't need to remove that first snap-ring holding that coil spring assembly. It comes off with the rest of the hub.
Second, it can help to jack up the axle to take the pressure off of the wheel. This also allows you to rotate the wheel, getting the "wires" up where you can see them better. Squeeze them together and jiggle the entire assembly out.
If you are installing manual hubs, you will need to remove the next snap-ring and the nylon washer behind it to make space for the hub. Discard the washer but keep the snap-ring. This will get re-installed, holding the inner part of the manual hub, along with the new large ring that should come with the kit.

Lastly, the part that they show about removing the lock-washer is incomplete and misleading. You do not have to remove it as part of this hub install. Plus they don't actually show how they got it out....or that it has to go back in correctly. That lock ring is part of a 3 piece assembly that holds the wheel bearing adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #13
hatzie

From Section 3C of the 1982 GMC Service Manual... The NP208 training manual has a section on the auto hubs as well... The blowup in my prior post is from that booklet.

Removal of Hub Lock Assembly
See Fig. 3C-4K
1. Remove the five screws ( # 1A ) which retain the cover ( # 3 ) to the outer clutch housing ( # 10).
2. Remove the cover, seal ( # 4 ) , seal bridge (# 11 ) , and bearing components ( # 5 , 6, 7, 8).
3. Use needle-nose pliers to compress the wire retaining ring ( # 9 ) , and pull the remaining components from the wheel.

Parts 29-31 retain the wheel bearings and shouldn't need to be removed for hub swaps if the grease isn't contaminated with water or mud.
Attached Images

1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.

Last edited by hatzie; 07-20-2013 at 05:07 PM.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #14
InsouciantSoul

Just want to say thanks for the help, when you squeeze it right, with a bit of force, she pops right out! The new hubs look great. One question however - how tight to tighten the spindle nut before the bearing? Should i jack the truck and just make sure the tire has the slightest give in terms of shakiness?