The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2011, 11:57 AM   #1
Firebirdjones

Front Sway Bar.....

I picked up one of these....

I'm going to adapt it to my 72 blazer. This is off of a 73 and up. After holding it under the blazer I can see the straight portion of the bar isn't close to reaching both sides of the frame. So it's obviously not going to work as is.

I assume I'm going to have to make a bracket of sorts for the frame mount bushings to attach to. I'm sure this has been done before.

I'd like to hear ideas and see pictures if possible of those that have done this. Did you use this style of factory bar or something else?
The fact that this is much narrower than my frame on the straight portion may pose a problem. I can't imagine the 73 and up blazers having a more narrow frame, so I must be missing something here. Which side does the bent portion of the bar face,,,driver side/passenger side? Holding it up there it appears it would fit either way as there is no obstruction to necessitate such a bend in the bar.
Someone fill me in please. Thanks.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
hotrodhomi

Re: Front Sway Bar.....

I'm not sure what that bar is from, but your local pickNpull should be full of the correct style bar. I thought the bar on my blazer was from a square body, but now I'm not so sure.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
Firebirdjones

This bar is supposed to be from a square body, 73 and up. But I didn't actually see the truck it came off of.

I was going to hit the local pick-a-part and grab some spring plates, which should all be similar up through the 80's I would think.
I'm not sure if they would have something old enough for me to look at though as far as the bar is concerned.

If you have any pics of what you did or how you did it please share. I'd like to gather all the information I can for a good plan of attack.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
Firebirdjones

Hey Hotrodhomi, are you talking about a front bar for the truck you have in the picture? That looks like a 2wd. If so yours would probably be easy to adapt just about any bar you wanted.

I guess I should have been more clear, sorry. Mine is a 4x4, which is why the ends of my bar are made differently to mount sidways on a leaf spring plate.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #5
Firebirdjones

Let me set this bar up under the truck and snap another pic to give everyone a better idea of what I'm dealing with....give me a few minutes.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:44 PM   #6
Firebirdjones

I hope this pic helps explain.

As you can see, the straight portion of the bar isn't nearly as wide as the frame, so attaching the frame mounts poses a problem. In this pic I have the bend portion on the driver side, but why it's there I have no idea as it doesn't appear to be necessary for anything.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #7
hotrodhomi

yes, I was talking about 2wd. 4x4 might as well be Chinese algebra, I have no idea.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #8
1949gmc

Check out KrazyRay's parts thread. He was selling the whole shebang and has a few pictures posted in his thread. Looks like you'll need the front crossmember outta that square body.
1949gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:56 PM   #9
BobbyK

Location: Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,Mi.

On my 71 Blazer I made some mounts using that same bar.

I made a post about it here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=139879

BobbyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #10
Firebirdjones

Hmmm interesting. Judging by all the pics from the original and the pics of the home made brackets (thanks 1949GMC and Bobby)

It appear to me that if I did locate a factory cross member, that I'd probably have to remove the original to fit the sway bar cross member in there. If that's the case I'm not so sure I'm willing to do that as I have brake lines running along the current cross member, I'd have to re-run brakes lines and who knows what else.

KrazyRay looks like he hasn't been on that thread in a couple months. I'll see if I can locate a cross member locally. If I can find a truck with a cross member, it should also have the spring mounts I need.

Thanks for the links guys, it's giving me a direction to go now.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #11
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyK View Post
On my 71 Blazer I made some mounts using that same bar.

I made a post about it here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=139879

That's interesting. I may just go this route, I fabbed everything else up on this truck with an LS swap, why not some sway bar mounts

Couple questions....

Is there any reason why you decided to bolt these mounts on rather than just weld them to the cross member?
I was thinking welding the square tube directly to the cross member without all the flanges sticking out might make for a cleaner look or make it look more like a part of the truck??

Also, you did this several years ago. How is it doing now? Any issues? I was wondering if that factory cross member would be strong enough to take abuse over a long period of time??

In any event, I can't even begin to fab anything until I find the spring plates, as that is going to dictate where the sway bar wants to be.
Thanks for anymore insite you can provide.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #12
47thriftmaster

Good questions, I wonder how it's been holding up as well. Plan on putting a sway bar in my 72' blazer, once I get to that point. Figure the handling would improve dramatically. Let us know how it's going.
47thriftmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #13
Firebirdjones

I'm doing it as my next project, just have to find the spring plates. I'll try pick-a-part this week.

More than likely at that point I'll probably make my own mounts.

I'd like to hear from Bobby on my questions though, when he gets time, I'm curious.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:12 PM   #14
BobbyK

The factory cross member ripped itself apart after only a few months......

Just kidding, it's still holding up great after almost 7 years, no issue's.

I bolted it in so that if something went wrong,like I found out I designed it wrong and had to redo it, or move it or something like that, that bolts are easier to remove than welds.

I'm happy with it,makes the Blazer easier to drive(handling wise).

Old 09-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #15
BobbyK

Here is the link to ALL the pic's I took while making the sway bar mounts.

http://public.fotki.com/blazbk/blaze...ation_of_fron/

Old 09-11-2011, 11:16 PM   #16
Firebirdjones

Thanks again guys. I'll keep a link to this thread and update my progress.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #17
jeremywrags

Looking at the pic below, it looks like you have yours mocked up backwards?

I have mine like mounted like BobbyK with the curve on the passenger side...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
I hope this pic helps explain.

As you can see, the straight portion of the bar isn't nearly as wide as the frame, so attaching the frame mounts poses a problem. In this pic I have the bend portion on the driver side, but why it's there I have no idea as it doesn't appear to be necessary for anything.

jeremywrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #18
Firebirdjones

You are right Jeremy, the bend goes on the passenger side. I wasn't sure myself until I saw a picture of Bobby's.

I've got the 2"x4" square tube steel to make some front brackets. I still can't find the leaf spring plates though. I haven't given up yet.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:13 PM   #19
jeremywrags

Make you a deal... Make 2 sets of brackets send me one and I will send you a set of spring plates?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-15-2011, 12:32 PM   #20
Firebirdjones

Where are you located?

I could make a set of brackets for you easily enough, as long as you have the ability to trim if need be, as each blazer may be slightly different.
Also do you have the ability to weld? I was thinking of welding mine to the cross member for a more finished look (stronger??) rather than making plates to bolt them on. I could do it either way however.

Now the biggest problem is the fact that I can't make the brackets without the spring plates. The spring plates will dictate where the sway bar sits exactly, so I need that bolted on to take measurements and make the brackets.

If you want to sell a set of spring plates I'm more than willing to buy if the price doesn't kill me , then when I get this done I'll make an extra set of brackets and just ship them to you no charge.

Will that work?
Old 09-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #21
jeremywrags

I'm going to the Bone yard tomorrow, last time I was there they had two 4x's so if they have not already been stripped i'll grab em for you.

We'll talk about the brackets after you finish. At the moment I am lacking a crossmember all together. I had to cut mine out to fix a frame crack and am undecided as to weather to weld it back together and go stock XMember with custom Sway bar mount or go custom for the whole XMember...

Here's a pic of where I am at right now. Considering just keeping the 2x4 & rope

[IMG]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/attachment.php?
attachmentid=801077&stc=1&d=1316106955[/IMG]
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2011, 04:34 PM   #22
Firebirdjones

Just give me a shout on the spring plates. That's the only thing holding me up at the moment. So far the places I've checked around here came up empty. There is another place a little further up the road, I just haven't had time to run up there yet.
Once I can position the bar with the plates, I can make an extra set of brackets no sweat.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #23
71RestoRod

Here's another detailed how-to photo essay.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/191615442tocPHU

I ran these mounts for about five years with the ORD quick disconnects. Over the last two years, I've had the disconnects pulled out and the bar linked directly to the spring plates which (in addition to the anti-sway) stiffens up the steering. I have really soft Alcan springs in the front and they tend to wrap. The bar doesn't cure but does help to minimize the axle wrap considerably. Over 25,000 miles and no sign whatsoever of stress cracks. It's been a long time, but as I recall I only had to drill two 3/8" holes in the cross member.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:04 PM   #24
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71RestoRod View Post
Here's another detailed how-to photo essay.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/191615442tocPHU

I ran these mounts for about five years with the ORD quick disconnects. Over the last two years, I've had the disconnects pulled out and the bar linked directly to the spring plates which (in addition to the anti-sway) stiffens up the steering. I have really soft Alcan springs in the front and they tend to wrap. The bar doesn't cure but does help to minimize the axle wrap considerably. Over 25,000 miles and no sign whatsoever of stress cracks. It's been a long time, but as I recall I only had to drill two 3/8" holes in the cross member.

Please tell me more about the ORD quick disconnects. I've been wanting to incorporate that into my front bar too, just didn't know someone made them.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:14 PM   #25
71RestoRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
Please tell me more about the ORD quick disconnects. I've been wanting to incorporate that into my front bar too, just didn't know someone made them.
http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/swaybarkit.htm