The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
sinnersahuayo
Account Suspended

PCV problems

I got tried of smelling burning oil coming from my headers. it has one of those open chrome cover that let the flume out to the open. when you de-accelerate oil comes out of the value cover fliter( that chrome crap). so i bought spectre pcv valve breather 4284 and hooked it up with vaccum on my Carb the one in the middle of edelbrock 1406. So now the oil is coming out of the dip stick and all over the middle and lower part of the exhust. it was not release the presure in the engine. Could anybody help me.
what i have on my engine. edelbrock carb 1406, edelbrock intake a high rise the height is bigger then the air gap that for sure.
sinnersahuayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
Shorty Cox

Re: PCV problems

It is possible you have cylinder "blow by" on one or more of you pistons.

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:21 PM   #3
sinnersahuayo
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post
It is possible you have cylinder "blow by" on one or more of you pistons.

Shorty
when i take off the pcv it run fine. there is almost little to know smoke coming out of the valve covers.

Last edited by sinnersahuayo; 09-12-2011 at 06:27 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-12-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

You asked, What is "Blow By":
If your rings are worn on an older engine, or if they have not yet seated on a new engine, some of the compression leaks passed the rings and pressurizes the crankcase. This pressure relieves itself by breathing out through the "breathers" on the valve covers.
If you replace the breathers on the valve covers with a pcv system, and the pcv system can't keep up with the pressure in your crankcase, then the pressure relieves itself by blowing out wherever is the weakest link. Which means things like valve cover gaskets, fuel pump gaskets, etc.

I learned this many years ago the hard way on a "newly" rebuilt SBC. It ran fine until the first time I rev'd the motor really good, which was after about 300 miles. It blew the gaskets out of the Holley manual fuel pump, blowing oil all over the headers..... I installed a breather in (1) valve cover and added a pcv valve. That fixed the problem in my case.

If the blow by is severe, and is due to badly worn rings, your only real option is to rebuild the motor.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by lakeroadster; 09-12-2011 at 06:36 PM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
sinnersahuayo
Account Suspended

thanks. more bad news.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:00 PM   #6
sinnersahuayo
Account Suspended

blow-by. is there a way to be a 100 % sure that is a blow-by. i dont want to start hunting for a shop or new engine. while it at the machine shop. any test i come do at home. for blow by
Old 09-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
fleetsidelarry
Senior Car Nut

a properly installed PCV valve system should evacuate the crankcase and relieve pressure. if it started blowing out out the dipstick it isn't doing this. with the engine running, is there suction on the PCV valve? it sounds like it's on backwards.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:11 PM   #8
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

A vacuum gauge would tell you if theres blow by as well as a compression test would they not?

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:22 PM   #9
sinnersahuayo
Account Suspended

i bought this style of pvc (spectre pcv valve breather 4284)
the vacuum gauge i saw the one for boost. is that alright to use. first am going to start with oem pcv if that does not work. going to buy the vacuum gauge and if still bad i am going to find a new engine. next question on the engine. what year would be a good chose.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:58 PM   #10
fleetsidelarry
Senior Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnersahuayo View Post
i bought this style of pvc (spectre pcv valve breather 4284)
the vacuum gauge i saw the one for boost. is that alright to use. first am going to start with oem pcv if that does not work. going to buy the vacuum gauge and if still bad i am going to find a new engine. next question on the engine. what year would be a good chose.
sinner, it's not clear to me what you have. Are you saying that you don't yet have the PCV valve installed?

I'm not familiar with the spectre part you're refering to, but if it's what I think it is (just a breather with a tube coming out the side) you need a PCV valve (OEM is fine) installed (usually in the valve cover but not necessarily) so that the low pressure generated at the carb can "suck" fumes thru the valve. in the other valve cover (again, usually), you need a "breather" like what you mentioned you had already.

pictures of your set-up would help.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:21 PM   #11
PGSigns

The part you have should work installed in a valve cover with the shield for a pcv valve and a standard valve cover on the other side with a breather cap in it. Some folks just run a valve cover with no breather. Test the port on the carb and make sure it is pulling good vacuum.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote