The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2011, 11:30 PM   #1
dtkarst

Pain-in-the-a$$ (Painless) Wiring Harnesses

I recently purchased a Painless wiring harness for my 66 C10. I looked all over to see what kind I could get, prices, durability, quality, etc etc, but I have used painless products before on a chevelle and impala and it was very simple to use and well painless. I knew this harness wasnt as complete as the chevelle and impala harnesses as far as connecters and whatnot but this harness was ridiculous. I ordered it from Painless because when i called they were to be the closest to factory as i can get color coded and best they came. Well when I got the harness it was a box of wires and a fuse block which i assumed it would be. When I got started into it i began to realize the colors of this new harness did not match color wise at all, didnt have reverse light wires, did not mention that they eliminated the horn relay. Then when you call Painless whoa re only open 8-5 when most people are working, they have service people who have never even began to think about putting a harness into a truck. Everything is wired according to their book and references with a shop manual. I have the harness in as correct as i can but everytime i try to start it i blow a ignition fuse and wiper fuse and also have to have the key held to keep it running. I disconnected the coil and the wipers and they still blew out. I have ran countless tests on the wires, Ballast resister, coil, everywhere. I have also pulled all the fuses but the ignition to test it and it blew out. The only thing I can think of is the fuse block but they refuse to believe that and stand behind it. I have gone through 28 30 amp fuses with this truck...I also spent 450.00 on a harness that is the same as a 150.00 universal kit. So if anyone is looking for a harness to take your truck to factory, avoid this one
dtkarst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:22 AM   #2
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

Re: Pain-in-the-a$$ (Painless) Wiring Harnesses

It sounds (on first guess) to me as though you either have 2 wires pinched against the body or the terminals for them on the fuse block itself are shorted to ground.
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
dtkarst

Well that was my first thought. So ibegan to feel every wire from the fuse block to where they were connect, checked the connections on the block of fuses and basically everything i can think of. Im stumped
Old 09-14-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
fixit-p

Since you are blowing 2 fuses, troubleshoot those 2 circuits first before moving on.

The wiper circuit disconnect the wires at the wiper switch and see if the short goes away (the wiper switch is grounded to the cab and controls the wipers on the negative side of the circuit, if you connected the wiper power wire at the switch instead of at the wiper motor it would cause a short circuit).

The ignition circuit you'll have to provide more information asto what it powers or trouble shoot all circuits on that fuse.

Quote:
Originally posted by:Abraham Lincoln "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine."
fixit-p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
shortbed70

Sounds like about the same fun I'm going through. I bought the cheaper 18 circuit harness and it is pretty well matched color wise but location wise kinda confussed me. Sounds like something in your column is messed up and maybe grounding out. Isn't wiring fun... Good luck man.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
treveiger

Man that's scary, keep us informed on what you find out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
dtkarst

Well it turns out that they eliminated the wire that runs from the coil to the R terminal on the starter solenoid. And also found out a wire leading from the back of the ignition terminal on the fuse block to my ballast resistor was bad somehow. It was a little pink wire that showed grounded out when we tested it after we cut it out of the fuse block. So we ran a new wire through to the resistor and eliminated the wire to the R terminal and coil and it runs like a top. If they would have told me that when I called 15 times it would have been easier, and they also eliminated the horn relay so its really nothing like the original way.