The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2011, 12:02 AM   #1
spunkNAdunky13

Brand new here. Love this forum. Would like to know your thoughts on a local find.

71 C10 Cheyenne 350 V8 Auto. Odometer reads aprox. 84k. Pretty sure it's original paint. Straight body as far as I can tell. Some rust bubbles here and there. Worst of the rust is in the fender wells. Doesn't seem to be anything major. Int is also in good shape. Not sure of any mechanical problems. Has the built in toolbox on the right side and also a wooden bed under the plastic bedliner. He's asking $5,000 and I'm definitely no expert just wondering if it's a good price for it. Any help would be very much appreciated. This would be my daily driver and something I could work on myself. Thanks.
Attached Images

spunkNAdunky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:05 AM   #2
spunkNAdunky13

Re: Brand new here. Love this forum. Would like to know your thoughts on a local find

last pic I have.
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2011, 12:34 AM   #3
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Re: Brand new here. Love this forum. Would like to know your thoughts on a local find

This doesn't look like bad truck and and I only have one concern. It looks to me like you are dealing with a small independant used car dealer and I am not knocking any car dealers ( as I made my living at dealerships for 25 years ) I just think for 5000.00 (and you being a little patient ) you could get a lot more truck for your 5000. or the same caliber of truck for a lot less. Have you looked in the For Sale section on this board, there are usually a lot of great deals there and you'd more than likely be dealing with a fellow board member and enthusiast, instead of someone trying to make a profit.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:46 AM   #4
sanford66

It's a decent looking truck. Make sure you look the body over carefully, i see some rust popping thru on the firewall above the blower motor box, its probly in the same spot on the driver side as well. It appears that its been sitting for a while also. Again i would do a careful inspection. $5,000.00 seems on the high end to me, i would think $3,500.00- $4,000.00 would be about right. I'm not sure on prices in your neck of the woods though. All that said it looks like it would make a great daily driver with plenty of little things to upgrade as you enjoy it. Joseph
1954 Delray 2-door sedan [rat rod project]
sanford66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:59 AM   #5
vectorit
What?

Welcome to the board!
Personally I think your find is a bit over priced, the paint looks like an old cheap spray that is fading. Plus why does only one side have a fender emblem? Could be that it fell off, but if there are no holes it would mean that the fender was replaced. Which then begs the question, why was the fender replaced and was it in a wreck?

5k typically brings a much nicer looking rig in this style from what I have seen.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:14 AM   #6
Jerry Jones
Happy Camper

It looks nice and straight, but I bought mine for 5K and it was much cleaner than that! And that is here in Kalifornia... home of the over priced everything. Good luck.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:21 AM   #7
spunkNAdunky13

awesome! thanks for the replies.

already gone... i havn't yet but I will be sure to do that.

sanford66... yes there is a small hole from the rust there and I know it has been there for at least 2 years also the inspection sticker is from 07.

vectorit.. well the holes for the emblem are actually there on the right fender. I guess the resizing just made them not visible. i don't know if it fell off or what happened to it..
Old 09-14-2011, 03:46 AM   #8
crisco

A good price is a price someone is willing to pay. I would have bought it.
crisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:56 AM   #9
long69

way over priced..........25oo is more like it and thats if there something there that i cant see.
long69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:42 AM   #10
MikeyMan

I like it!
But, I would be concerned about the mechanical condition. If it's been sitting and not inspected for a couple years, have it checked out by a qualified mechanic. Watch out for rust in the gas tank, master cylinder and brake system, and the radiator/cooling system.
Is there a working lock cylinder and matching key for that underside tool box? They can be difficult to replace. How about a pic of the SPID label in the glove box?
Make sure you have it checked out by a trusted mechanic [U]before[U] you make an offer.
I'd go 5K if it passed all mechanical issues. Figure you'll spend at least 1K on basics like tires, brakes, and tune-up. You could low-ball an offer and work from there.
It's a good looking truck and a nice place to start. Good Luck!!!
MikeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:17 AM   #11
hugger6933

Looks to me that there is rust hiding underneath the bedliner. Look again at the pic from behind the left side. I am not one to talk much about another mans pricing but unless it is a have to have truck, I'd pass if it were me. Of course it is easy for me to say that, as I have a couple of those trucks at the shop right now.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:26 AM   #12
OJ1988
Just a car guy

Good looking truck, but about $2000-2500 would be max, imo.
1970 C20 tow rig
OJ1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:25 PM   #13
spunkNAdunky13

thanks for all the feedback. i found a 72 Cheyenne I'm going to go with thats actually from the same dealer. i would love to have some help from you guys identifying whats probably original and whats not. sorry the pics aren't the greatest but its in a pretty tight space right now so i couldn't really take my own. but please take a look and let me know what you think. this baby will probably be mine the first of next week. thanks.
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2011, 11:26 PM   #14
spunkNAdunky13

here the last interior pic..
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2011, 12:21 AM   #15
laplander

What kind of money is he asking on the secondone? The market is down for just about every vehicle, our trucks included. If you can hold off and peruse thru our classifieds, I think you might be able to buy a vehicle that's a better value, and know more about it's history. Not knocking the dealer, but if I had the choice of something off of a lot, and one that has a build history on here for the last couple of years I would go with the truck from the forum I have seen some KILLER deals that have popped up that I would have snagged if I hadn't been knee deep in other truck. Just a though.
laplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:20 AM   #16
spunkNAdunky13

Been awhile since I last posted but it turns out I couldn't get the Cheyenne for a low enough price. I started checking the classifieds on here and figured it was far overpriced for the condition. I ended up getting a 300zx as my daily driver over the winter but now i'm back in the market for a C10 with summer coming up.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:03 AM   #17
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

ya the Orange and white 2 tone trucks any where are the most saw after of the paint jobs that GM did So far most of the short beds that have that paint combo sell for some good money even the Mock up or fake ones sell pretty good its something about that orange and white chevy 2 tone trucks they just look so cool going down thew road so dose the 1969 camaro in that Color
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:52 AM   #18
spunkNAdunky13

I think its the best two tone there is. i almost couldn't believe a place 10 miles from where i'm at here in VA had one. not sure if it was original paint or not though. may have to go back this spring to see if I could change his mind about the price.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:32 AM   #19
gotchevys?

Hi from Harrisonburg, Spunk. I'm betting both those trucks are still there. I used to live down on Gravels Road and drove by there daily. Never noticed a real big turn around of vehicles there. Lots of them sitting there collecting rust. I'd not get in a hurry and look for the right deal on the right truck. What was he asking for the orange one?
Old 03-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #20
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
After reading all of the posts I didn't see where anyone mentioned crawling underneath with a good strong light and checking out the floor and cab supports. That is the first thing I always do because if they are really bad there isn't any reason to spend a lot of time looking at the rest of the truck or trying to deal on it. Unless you are looking for a parts truck...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:10 PM   #21
jtp67-72

^^^^^Couldn't have said it any better Leon....1st thing i look at............jim
Old 03-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #22
davepl

At $5K a truck should require NO rust repair, have no bondo, and be in decent driver condition. From there you can add money for a big-block, buckets, short bed, even color combo, but I think $5K is plenty to buy a truck that doesn't come with headaches.

At least that's my experience from having looked at about 50 until I found the right one. I paid $6500 but it had AC, buckets, and big-block.

If you're going to fix it up, the difference between a rusty $2,000 truck and a clean original $5,000 truck is a -lot- more than $3,000 of work. Unless you're really good with a welder. But no honest man can afford to pay for rust repair :-)
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #23
spunkNAdunky13

starting price was 6500 for the Cheyenne 5000 for the other. wouldn't go lower than 5500 on the Cheyenne. I know for a fact the red one has been sitting outside for at least 3 years.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #24
spunkNAdunky13

although now that I have a daily driver I can start looking at some that need a bit more work. I would love to find one in the 2-3000 dollar range.
Posted via Mobile Device