The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
ChumBucket

?? Drop Spindles / Bags Question ??

Guys, thanks a lot for all of your help so far.

Got 1 question....

If I'm going with air bags on all 4 corners do I HAVE to get drop spindles in order to even out the stance from front to rear? For instance, if/when I choose to drop the bags in the back until the chunk "almost" hits the bed (non-raised bed btw), if I don't have drop spindles in the front is it gonna look stupid?

Not only looks-wise but functionality-wise.

Thanks for your help!
ChumBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:27 PM   #2
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Re: ?? Drop Spindles / Bags Question ??

Functionality wise, there'd be no issues other than you may prematurely wear tires based on your ride height and alignment (if you drive at stock height, zero issues).

On laid out stance, I don't think it'd be too big of a difference if you didn't do a c-notch and let the axel rest on the stock part of the frame, if even a difference at all.

The only real downfall is that you're loosing and easy 2" of drop...even though the drop spindles + disc brakes is expensive. In all honesty, I'd drop the dough on that upgrade before air ride...just my $0.02 though.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

In my opinion,... you need drop spindles to get the front down low enough to match the height of the rear air'd out.
I agree with tubbedII,... before I spent a penny installing bags,... I would do the disc brake upgrade.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 09-17-2011 at 01:11 PM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
Painter D

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
In my opinion,... you need to drop spindles to get the front down low enough to match the height of the rear air'd out.
I agree with tubbedII,... before I spent a penny installing bags,... I would do the disc brake upgrade.
Agreed

'63 Buick Riviera ... AccuAir E-level, 20" Billet Specialties (Vintecs)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=528853&page=5
Painter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
scum1

i asked a similar question in another thread of mine, my main concern was having no drop spindles and putting bags in..my question was whether or not anyone had problems with the tire hitting the fenderwell far before the crossmember/lower control arm came into contact..it seems that drop spindles would exaggerate this problem seeing that i currently have about 2-3" between tire/fender and 3-4" between xmember/lca..all coil drop no spindles..does anyone have any comments or experience? i just want it to be aired out as much as possible, while maintaining a somewhat low ride height. thanks
scum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:39 PM   #6
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumBucket View Post
Guys, thanks a lot for all of your help so far.

Got 1 question....

If I'm going with air bags on all 4 corners do I HAVE to get drop spindles in order to even out the stance from front to rear? For instance, if/when I choose to drop the bags in the back until the chunk "almost" hits the bed (non-raised bed btw), if I don't have drop spindles in the front is it gonna look stupid?

Not only looks-wise but functionality-wise.

Thanks for your help!
Front air, on drop spindles. THe rear is notched and the bed has a little stainless cover i made to go in the middle of the bed. Pics.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676047

My new YOUTUBE channel.. Videos of my truck and a current walk around.
Lyrikz74 Youtube channel DONE! SOLD!

My 1971 stepside build thread
My Build Thread UPDATED 6/11. DONE
and sold.

Last edited by lyrikz; 11-02-2011 at 04:08 PM.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #7
kieth

I have been going through the same thing as you, which way to go. So here is what I have discovered so far.

1. Add 2 x 2 spacer blocks to the rear trailing arms , this lowers the truck and allows the shocks and later the air bags to be in the proper working range.

2. Use firestone 9000 series bags on the rear (they are smaller diameter and will run more in the 40 to 50 psi range at the correct ride height range (8-8.5")

3. Change to 2.5" drop spindles (i currenly have old 6 cyl coils springs up front and to date I have not changed the front to air bags, I will add the c notch to the rear of the truck first then see where the front height need to be for the stance to be correct.

Comment: Tire and wheels sizes make a big difference, I feel that these older trucks need some sidewall so I only used 17" wheels not 20's to keep the stance the look the way I like it.

Here are some before and after shots:

Name:  xxxrt6604.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  42.4 KB
No drop spindles with a slight rake (I like the rear slightly higher than the front)

Name:  LFlwrd01.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  31.9 KB

With drop spindles no rear lowering blocks

Name:  xxxpark03rear.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  57.8 KB

rear view with no drop spindles

Name:  LRlwrd02.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  40.1 KB

rear view with drop spindles

I will try to take some other shots at the same locations so it can really be A----B

ps the 2 x 2 drop blocks really help the ride in the rear of the truck, they allow the bags and the shocks to operate in there correct range.......next will be a C notch, then see if we need to add bags to the front for the correct stance......then a new panhard rod.......then relocate the shocks.

All of these shots are at the operating height not aired out......

Last edited by kieth; 11-03-2011 at 10:10 AM.
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:07 AM   #8
Tony@AirRideTech

its simple....if you are C-notching the rear you need drop spindles.... if your leaving the frame alone, then you dont.
Tony@AirRideTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #9
scum1

ill have to throw up some pics..i currently have 2" blocks in the rear, c notch, cut springs and in the front i have just cut springs/bumpstops..

my plan was to bag it but a couple problems arose..to get full advantage of my bags i need to 1) get drop spindles 2) run my exhaust different 3) get shorter shocks 4) remove fenderwells and get new hood hinges..

i tested all this by simply removing my coils and slowly taking it down. shocks limited it first, then fenderwell, then exhaust, then it would hit xmember to lca...

so my original price range just increased at least 500 bones..so i dont know what i want to do..if i add drop spindles then i will have little to no clearance between tires and fender, so i will need to get drop springs to raise it up a lil, putting me back to the same height ultimately...

ill snap a pic of my stance now for reference.
scum1 is offline   Reply With Quote