The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
jp2112

48 3/4 ton wheel and fuel pump question

My grandpa recently gave me his 48 3/4 ton pickup, and I'm in the process of fixing it up and making it driveable again. It has the 8 lug split rims. Also it does not have a bed on it. It used to have a wooden flatbed. I would like to put a metal framed flatbed with a wood floor. I would also like to make it dual rear wheel, to have something different. I saw where most 8 lug stock wheels from chevy, ford and dodge would fit but will the dually wheels off of any of those work? The rearend appears to be some type of full floater... Also the truck still has the original fuel line and fuel pump with the glass bowl on the inline six. Is there any modern pump I could put on there? Oh yeah forgot to mention, I'm new here. This is a great site with a ton of info... Thanks JP
jp2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
flatbed51

Re: 48 3/4 ton wheel and fuel pump question

I don't know about the dual wheel set up, but be careful on late model 8 lug wheels on front. I had a set off a F!@D and the back spacing was a little deep causing them to rub just barely on tie rod ends. Too bad we are not closer I could fix you up with a factory steel frame/wood flatbed I am taking off my 3/4 ton. Have fun with your build and keep us up to date. Post some pictures when you can. Don

48,49,50 Chevy trucks. 41 Olds
flatbed51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

The rear end is an HO72 and used up until 1972 on the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks so you can upgrade to a 4.10 rear end if you get one out of up to a '72. Mine isn't a dually either so I'm not sure what changes if it is only whees or not.

As for the wheels, just what was said above. The 16.5s don't work on the front. Watch the 16's from everyone! Some will fit, some won't. The front is the biggest concern with tie rod end issues.
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #4
jp2112

Thanks for the info! I think I might just find some dually wheels and some 3/4 ton wheels with stock hubcaps on the front. I think that would look kindof cool. My pawpaw told me some horror stories about the stock split rims that are on it now, so I definatly don't wanna use those. That flatbed sounds like it would be perfect... wish I was closer. The truck sat for about 15 years, and I just graduated college and decided to get her back on the road. I put in points, a condensor, plugs, and a temporary inline fuel pump and she fired right up today. After about 20 seconds of blowing all the junk out, she didn't smoke at all and ideled like a top... I couldn't believe it. I will probably work on it some more tomorrow and I'll try to get some pics.
jp2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:45 PM   #5
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Try NAPA for the fuel pump. You can get a cheaper version if you don't get the one with the glass bowl top. They made versions of that motor from like 1939 up until 1962 so you should be able to find something. Our local "Next Day Dave" Napa is pretty good if you can wait until tomorrow for the parts!
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote