The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
f.monroe

Whats a Crew worth?

What do you think a late 70's GMC Crewcab dually is worth? Not pristine just a nice old truck . Interior is a little worn but the truck is suppose to have no rust , no dents ,and one repaint. 350/th400 a/c truck. Air probably does not work. Suppose to have 86,000 miles.Inside of bed is suppose to have original paint and in nice condition. Its for sale locally . Anyone interested in a crewcab ? I am going to try to look at it close tonight or tomorrow.
Frank
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
rwhit57

Re: Whats a Crew worth?

Ya think they repainted the rims? LOL
Just curious, what are they asking?
rwhit57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
notyo_cheez

Cool Re: Whats a Crew worth?

Look closely at the firewall seam, check the cab floors from underneath, bring a small magnet with you to check for previous bodywork. If the sheet metal passes the smell test look at the suspension bushings, check the fluids, etc. Look at the front rotors, check tread depth of the tires with an upside-down penny, and when you've test-driven it walk around it for about five minutes and consider the level of commitment you are willing to make on it with a restoration, or if it's just going to be your weekend pack mule or daily driver.

Go to kbb.com or nada.com and see what the private party average value is for it, compare to the seller's asking price. If he's way off base walk away, no need to haggle with an idiot. Ask him why he's selling it. Give him a cash offer within $500 of his asking price, if he's not under any pressure to be rid of it.
notyo_cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

It does look nice.

Edit to add - that'd look sweet adding white and making it two-tone.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:23 PM   #5
f.monroe

I am just going to look in case it is nicer than the description. If so I might buy it but it is too big of a project for me . If anyone near here is looking for a crew cab project I can let them know what I find . He is asking $1500 which sounds cheap to me if it is rust free and dent free. He did say the dash has no cracks so the interior may be above average .
Frank
Old 09-18-2011, 03:28 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

its funny because as i scrolled down to reply after reading your first post i was thinking about $1500.. if it looks as good in person.. its worth it

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #7
tucsonjwt

If the truck is mostly intact it is worth $1500+ - salvage parts are probably worth that much or more. If it starts, runs, does not burn or smoke oil any old truck is worth $2K around here. $3K gets you a presentable truck which does not need much work. My guess is for $1500 you will have to spend another $1500 in brakes, tires, suspension. cooling, etc., to make it a safe driver. If the rear axle is shot I think I would pass, unless you plan to part it out, because I think rebuilding that 1 ton would be very expensive.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #8
f.monroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
If the truck is mostly intact it is worth $1500+ - salvage parts are probably worth that much or more. If it starts, runs, does not burn or smoke oil any old truck is worth $2K around here. $3K gets you a presentable truck which does not need much work. My guess is for $1500 you will have to spend another $1500 in brakes, tires, suspension. cooling, etc., to make it a safe driver. If the rear axle is shot I think I would pass, unless you plan to part it out, because I think rebuilding that 1 ton would be very expensive.
It is suppose to drive , stop , steer, and run nice . Was a one owner tuck and mileage is suppose to be original. I will know more about it if I can get time to see it later tonight or maybe tomorrow.
Frank
Old 09-18-2011, 04:36 PM   #9
kwin

Its worth the 1500, around here a good parts truck that doesn't run is in the 500-1500 range. 1500 is a steal!
kwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:20 PM   #10
jitteryguy
GoatLube Experss

based on the picture's, if it drives half decent it wont last long for $1500 .
what county is it in ? I'd be interest'd if it close to Houston .
'92 S10 350/350
'84 MonteCarlo 383/PG/9"ford
'78 Malibu wagon 350/350
'78 Cutlass (project family car)
'96 S10 Jimmy (Moma's)
jitteryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:37 PM   #11
80SPORT

The 350/th400 combo is unusual in a dually;most came with 454s
The 350 should be ok on fuel unless you are towing heavy loads so in todays market I would expect a premium for the 350.
Good color and sits up well ...I would think it would make at least 3000.00 on ebay from one of the northern/eastern areas where most units are rusted.

If it was closer I would buy it ...but I am still trying to get someone to haul the last dually crewcab I bought down in Tennessee up to Montana ....on its way to Canada.
80SPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:29 PM   #12
f.monroe

If I buy it it will be for sale probably unless its nicer than the pics. I thought the price was pretty good if it is as rust free as stated but I think he said its a 78 and I can see that the hood has been changed . If the cab is rust free and the bed as nice as he says I might bring it home . As far as the county its in , It is local to me here in Burleson County so it isnt far from Houston at all.
Frank