The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
AJLChase

Estimated best guess cost to rebuild stock carb?

I have an original stock carb that came with 67 327. Was wondering ball park what I should expect to pay to have it rebuilt? Or would it be smarter to just save it for later and buy a new carb?
AJLChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
Lee H

Re: Estimated best guess cost to rebuild stock carb?

What kind of carb?
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

original stock probably q jet

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
AJLChase

Yes you are correct a Q-jet. Rochester I believe
Old 09-20-2011, 03:06 AM   #5
huero
1969 Short, Fleet, and Beat

$195
huero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:13 AM   #6
OJ1988
Just a car guy

$100 plus parts around my area.
1970 C20 tow rig
OJ1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:59 AM   #7
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Into days times where are all trying to get a little more performance out of are daliy drivers.I will say this the new edalbrock carb's and intakes take all the guess work out of working on your fuel delivery problems and running the HEI is the best for durability.If you look at the pictures you see that i run them on all my trucks Now But i ran that 4V carb that came out in 1963 and i had to rebuild that thing at least every 3 years the gas of today is nasty gas has a lot of crap in it back in 1977--1999 we had good gas but now.Its horse piss
Attached Images

stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:05 AM   #8
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

more pictures on what your looking for

In this listing your seeing the HEI where the Temp sending unit is factory on the head and was moved to the intake manifold you have to use the 1964--68 straight hose out let for the radiator hose best off the cast iron on and the engine wire harness hope to have more pictures up show how it all work and how easy it is to put on
Attached Images

stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:41 AM   #9
rsavage

Probably a couple of hundred bucks - ask around as to who is good in your area and get some quotes. If you want stock appearance, stick with the Q-jet. Rebuilt properly, they run very well. If you have AC and add an aftermarket set up such as the edelbrock depicted above, your compressor brackets won't fit without modification, and, of course, you are talking a lot more money.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:56 PM   #10
AJLChase

I plan on someday rebuilding the motor but not to stoc specs. It has the original oil bath breather on it whcih I want to put away and go with something more modern? Which edelbrock carb and manifold should I go with? Again it's a 327
Old 09-20-2011, 05:53 PM   #11
Eddie H.

The last stock Q jet I rebuilt cost me about $25 and some change. ( not counting my labor) That was a couple of months ago.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #12
LEEVON

Do it yourself if you can, it's not hard. Just get organized and go slow. There are rebuild services, but they can be pricey. The throttle shafts are known to wear on Q-jets and can cause a vacuum leak, the solution is to bore and press an insert in. If your throttle shafts are worn it might be better just to get a new carb. One word of caution, remanufactured Q-jets are know to have problems most of the time.

Either rebuild yours yourself for the price of a kit, pay somebody to do it or buy a new carb.

I'm not a fan of the Edelbrock 1405/6's. This is my new favorite carb, and I've had them all:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-M08600VS/

It has alot of things you can't get for the price and it's very tunable. But most likely you'll pop it on, adjust the idle/air mixture and just cruise.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:41 PM   #13
AJLChase

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
Do it yourself if you can, it's not hard. Just get organized and go slow. There are rebuild services, but they can be pricey. The throttle shafts are known to wear on Q-jets and can cause a vacuum leak, the solution is to bore and press an insert in. If your throttle shafts are worn it might be better just to get a new carb. One word of caution, remanufactured Q-jets are know to have problems most of the time.

Either rebuild yours yourself for the price of a kit, pay somebody to do it or buy a new carb.

I'm not a fan of the Edelbrock 1405/6's. This is my new favorite carb, and I've had them all:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-M08600VS/

It has alot of things you can't get for the price and it's very tunable. But most likely you'll pop it on, adjust the idle/air mixture and just cruise.
I probably wouldn't rebuild it myself as I am 100% sure I'd have more issues then any person would think is possible. On the carb that you recommend what changes will I need to make being that my truck has the manual choke lever inside of the truck? Is this truly just pop it on and make some minor adjustments and I'm good to go? I'm not to savvy and a lot of the issues I've been dealing with to some are easy and to me have been troublesome. Thanks!
Old 09-20-2011, 09:34 PM   #14
cpisani70@aol.com

I bought a rebuild kit for $26 and a brass float for $9 so it wouldn't swell up anymore. Then I took my time tearing all apart taking pics along the way , with some carb clean and compressed air and of course this great site things turned out quite well, if I were you I would give it a shot , I assume you have good mechanical sense if you own a 40 year old truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
cpisani70@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:44 PM   #15
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

the EPA (depending on your state) has made rebuilding carbs quite expensive to do profesionally. I know here places have a hard time getting rid of the solvents they use. I paid a place a tic over 300 a couple years ago to rebuild a quadra jet. It's going on the Longhorn when it gets it's new motor.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:49 PM   #16
AJLChase

Would I be able to use the stock manifold with one of these new carbs? I'm a total novice when it comes to HP and the likes so I apologize if I sound ignorant
Old 09-20-2011, 09:54 PM   #17
Hubscrub
Cruzin

I've never paid somebody to build a carb for me but i will say that the q-jets are great carbs for gas mileage and performance. I have edlebrocks on some now and probably not buy another there good and all but i'm buying up old q-jets for future use. My dad swears by them (except the later electric ones) and could probably almost build one with his eyes closed.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:04 PM   #18
AJLChase

You all make me wanna rebuild it...but I fail a lot at the simplest tasks. My brother in laws will kill me if I say "I'm gonna rebuild X!" Then I call them over to help me fix my mess ups haha
Old 09-21-2011, 01:34 AM   #19
doctrouble

Try browsing youtube for rebuilding Qjets, there are hours worth of people rebuilding them, some are pretty thorough and slow. Very helpful to watch before you decide to tear it apart. C=

I Like this one the most that helped me

doctrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #20
biggestjohn

Rebuilding works great if it not leaking around the throttle shafts. If it is, must be bored for bushings, very expensive.
biggestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:21 AM   #21
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Yup... there is a 90% chance that old Q-puke has a vacuum leak at the shafts. A shaft rebush can be done by the shade tree mechanic... but is a little more involved than just a rebuild.

You couldn't pay me to use an Edlebrock/AFB carb. A Holley 650 Spread Bore vacuum secondary carb will bolt right on to the stock manifold. It will also bolt to an Edelbrock Performer (non-RPM) without an adapter.

If you run the Performer RPM you will need an adapter to run the Q-puke or any Spread Bore carb. The squarebore Edelpuke will bolt up right to the RPM... as will all the Holley squarebores. Like a Holley 1850... which is 600cfm.

Now... you're gonna hear all the Holley haters chime in on how you have to screw with a Holley carb all the time to get it to "run right". That is simply not true. Dialing in a Holley is just as easy dialing in a Edelbrock/AFB. Heck most of the "Avenger" series of Holley carbs are great right out of the box.

Clear as mud?

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #22
AJLChase

Well my brother in law is agreeing to help me try to rebuild the carb. I went and picked up a carb kit and carb cleaner. I already poured some seafoam into the gas tank to see if that would remedy the problem with no such luck. When I stomp on the gas peddle it damn near kills the engine. I even saw spark infused flame shoot up from the carb. What would cause that? Also, any tips besides a clean work area and patience when rebuilding a carb for the first time ever? Thanks!
Old 09-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #23
special-K
Special Order

I pay $125...well worth it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:13 PM   #24
69heavychevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJLChase View Post
Well my brother in law is agreeing to help me try to rebuild the carb. I went and picked up a carb kit and carb cleaner. I already poured some seafoam into the gas tank to see if that would remedy the problem with no such luck. When I stomp on the gas peddle it damn near kills the engine. I even saw spark infused flame shoot up from the carb. What would cause that? Also, any tips besides a clean work area and patience when rebuilding a carb for the first time ever? Thanks!
Backfire like that is most likely due to a lean mixture, maybe due to improper adjustment or a tired old carb in need of a rebuild lol!
69heavychevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:53 PM   #25
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

Seriously, i think the real trepidation i have, and i'm amazed in your case, is the good relationships you have with your brothers-in-laws, NOT how hard it is to rebuild a quadrajet (it's not hard btw). Seriously. In my opinion people are much more difficult than cars.

1) The rebuilt/"remanufactured carbs you can get at parts superstores are atrocitites. Junk. In that case you might as well rebuild your own because if you buy one of these, YOU WILL be rebuilding to get it right.

2) However, better companies that specialize in carb rebuilding can do a very good job. i think JET has a good rep. But $450.

3) As an outside "darkhorse" contender, i'm thinking of trying Holley. Yes, that's right Holley remanufactures rochester carbs! $320 ish.

So i don't know; If you think you might want to try it then you can always get a few quads off craigs(i love that guy) or ebay and experiment with them---eventually you'll get it right. The youtube vids are marvelous.

Or if you're really not interested/queasy then i would try the high quality remans.
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote