The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
Wincks2

What is this near where my shock connects?

In the first photo is something I don't see in my shop manual diagrams. Anyone know what it is?

In the second photo my finger is pointing to where my shock came off of the upper mount. Does the fact that it popped off mean the nut used was too small? Shouldn't the correct nut be too large for the shock to pop off? Or is there some reason for using ones that can allow the shock to pop off of the mount?
Attached Images

Old Smokey: 85 GMC 3/4 ton long bed crew cab originally a 5.7 gas engine now with an 84 6.2 with a 92 serpentine belt system, a banks sidewinder, torque converter, and a shift kit. I bought her this way from someone handy - and now am trying to figure out how all this truck works.

The Old Smokey project: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=390518
Wincks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
nerphin

Re: What is this near where my shock connects?

1. Exhaust hanger.

2. You should have a larger washer.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
Wincks2

OK. Thanks!
Old Smokey: 85 GMC 3/4 ton long bed crew cab originally a 5.7 gas engine now with an 84 6.2 with a 92 serpentine belt system, a banks sidewinder, torque converter, and a shift kit. I bought her this way from someone handy - and now am trying to figure out how all this truck works.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:06 PM   #4
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Looks to me like your shock fell apart. That rubber piece that is still on the truck is supposed to be inside the eye of the shock I believe. But yes, a washer would have helped.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
rwhit57

It looks like it's time for some new shocks. They should come with the right hardware, make sure that stud to the frame is good and tight with washers on both sides.
rwhit57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
lilpoindexter

Yeah man...this thing is probably making a hellafied clunking noise...If you look above the shock, you will see where the top of the shock has rubbed away the crud on the bottom of the bed.
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:37 PM   #7
Wincks2

I took off the bolt and the washer that was removeable (it was one of those ones with a split in it), compressed the shock with my hands, and used a deadweight mallet to hammer the steel ring back toward the far side of the rubber ring the steel ring is to sit on. Didn't have a larger washer so put the washer and bolt back on.

When I get wider washers I'll add them to this one and the other shock so this doesn't happen again.

I took a look at some videos about how to tell whether a shock is worn out and I don't know. I could compress it by pulling down with one hand, but it would then stretch out again. Don't know really how to tell whether it was stretching out at too fast a speed. Don't want to replace them if they are fine.

Guess I'll try the rock the back bumper test to see whether it seems loose.

Wow. They are very easy to change.

If it turns out I need new shocks, how do I know whether I need the standard ones or the heavy duty ones? She is a ck2500 crew cab with a full length box and someone put what I think is a heavy duty 6.2 diesel engine in her. She originally had a 5.7 gas engine.

Last edited by Wincks2; 09-21-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:51 AM   #8
cr34t3d_by_d4rkd3n
Account Suspended

Hammer with shock and all suspension= bad news that should slide together. All suspension should. Go to local hardeare store. Cost ya 2bucks a side. Get the standard. Or go blienstine or whatever theyre name is. They make a good shock. The factory mounts on ur truck are smaller and weaker. If u use the heavy duty shocks will maul them up in no time...this is why they say air shocks are bad..believe me my frame shows the scars
Posted via Mobile Device
cr34t3d_by_d4rkd3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:42 PM   #9
Wincks2

The parts store told me the shock is still operating.

The metal ring on the shock's top end is larger than the narrowest middle part of the rubber thing it is to sit on. same thing on the other rear shock. Looks like the wider lip of the rubber thing (not a larger metal washer) keeps the other rear shock from coming off. On the shock that came off, the inside lip of the rubber thing has worn off.

So I'm considering getting new mounting kits for $30 rather than new shocks for $110.

On the new shocks they suggested (munroe sensitracs) the rubber things are snug inside the shock's rings.

Does the extra space between the rubber and the ring mean the current shocks don't fit the truck?

There is only about an eighth of an inch of room between the rubber and the ring but does allow me to move and twist the rings of both shocks a bit when they are on the truck.

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 09-23-2011, 11:43 PM   #10
Wincks2

Reposted same message in error.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:57 PM   #11
rwhit57

You can buy the standard shocks cheaper than that. The rubber is worn out. That will cause stress on the mounting stud and cause it to crack the frame. Buy some new shocks. Oh yeh that washer with the split is called a lock washer it goes on last.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:04 AM   #12
Wincks2

Ok. Will do.

Fella at the pares store told me the economy shocks don't always come with the mounting hardware. Tomorrow we'll open the box and see. The munroes had the hardware included. It included a new Mounting stud. He told me I unscrew the Existing one, which he thought may be original, from the frame and screw in the new one. The new stud and a large bolt he thought goes on the other side of the metal the Stud screw into. I've taken a look at where the stud goes and don't see how Anyone could get in behind the metal the stud goes into. It is sort of a triangular piece.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 09-25-2011, 03:55 AM   #13
Wincks2

Has anyone successfully taken off the stud the shock sits on?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 09-25-2011, 04:08 AM   #14
rwhit57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wincks2 View Post
Has anyone successfully taken off the stud the shock sits on?
Posted via Mobile Device
Something looks strange in that pic to me about the upper shock stud. What truck is this? All of them I've ever seen or remember bolt to the outside of the frame rail and it's easy to get to back side of them.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #15
Wincks2

It is an 85 gmc long bed crew cab originally with a 5.7 now with a 6.2.

Parts store guy thought it may be the original stud setup.

Here are a couple more photos.

Those seem to be rivets holding the triangular metal piece that holds the stud. The heads of the rivets look the same on the other side of the frame and on the top of the frame. No bolts. No slots for screw drivers. I think they are rivets.

Same thing on the other side of the truck.

So I don't know how I get the stud out of there. Or if I want to since the mounting hardware on the replacement shock seems to have a bolt I'm supposed to attach to the stud on the other side of the frame or in this case inside that triangular piece the stud goes into. Don't think I can access the interior of the thing.
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #16
rwhit57

I do kinda remember seeing that bkt. now. I'm sure that's common on 3/4 tons. If there is no access hole behind that bkt., the way I see it you have two choices, make sure the studs that are there are not bent, worn, or loose and clean them up and use them, or grind the rivets out and replace them and bolt the bkts. back in place. Either way I would be installing new shocks and hardware, then it will be good to go for a long time.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #17
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhit57 View Post
I do kinda remember seeing that bkt. now. I'm sure that's common on 3/4 tons. If there is no access hole behind that bkt., the way I see it you have two choices, make sure the studs that are there are not bent, worn, or loose and clean them up and use them, or grind the rivets out and replace them and bolt the bkts. back in place. Either way I would be installing new shocks and hardware, then it will be good to go for a long time.
I know 1-tons had the shocks inside the rails vs. 1/2 tons (outside the rails). If the threads on the stud are ok, I just reuse the stud. If they look to be in poor shape or are loose, I replace them.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #18
RastaRobb

I replaced the shock, but left the old stud in my '84 3/4 ton, and it was a mistake. I was back under it in less than 2 months. I could tell putting it on it wasn't right, but took the easy way. Get the new stud, put it on.
RastaRobb is offline   Reply With Quote