The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I HATE Transmissions!

Seems the nightmare of transmission leaks are not going to end on the 83. I went out to the shop last night and what do my wondering eyes see.....tranny fluid on the floor, AGAIN!.

Got underneath and found it leaking from the rear seal/yoke. I guess from sitting 5 years the rear seal was dried out (at least I Hope). I didn't notice any rough spots on the yoke from the 83, but I'll check that before I hook it back up. Least I have another good yoke if I need it.

It sure seems like I am not supposed to drive this 83 much. On well whining is done. Time to pick up a seal and change that out.
Attached Images

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
makman1297

Re: I HATE Transmissions!

Mine seems to leak when i dont drive it, guess its trying to tell me something.
makman1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

Its hard for me to see in the pic but it looks like the yoke is wet by the
u-joint and its dry around where the seal meets the yoke? If thats the case, (since it looks like the trans is clean enough to have been rebuilt) there is a seal internal to the tailshaft housing and if it was not installed it will leak through the tiny hole in the center of the yoke. If thats not whats going on, sorry for the rambling, just thought I'd throw that out there.

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i dunno , Bill , sometimes these trucks just seem to find one thing after another to aggravate the owner

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:29 PM   #5
lilpoindexter

Usually the Automatics are the problematic trannies...that's why I stick to manuals...but the older I get, the more I get stuck in traffic, the more I find myself thinking about an automatic.
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:47 PM   #6
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972SuperCheyenne View Post
Its hard for me to see in the pic but it looks like the yoke is wet by the
u-joint and its dry around where the seal meets the yoke? If thats the case, (since it looks like the trans is clean enough to have been rebuilt) there is a seal internal to the tailshaft housing and if it was not installed it will leak through the tiny hole in the center of the yoke. If thats not whats going on, sorry for the rambling, just thought I'd throw that out there.
That is what I thought too. I did not know about the inner seal thing for the yoke. I guess I'll have to look into this further.

Bill's Gallery
Old 09-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #7
STOCKISH

There are two types of yokes that can be on these trucks. One has a small hole in the center of it (longways) and one is totally sealed. If yours has the hole in it you have to have the seal inside the tailhousing. Its a cylindrical seal.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:00 PM   #8
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972SuperCheyenne View Post
There are two types of yokes that can be on these trucks. One has a small hole in the center of it (longways) and one is totally sealed. If yours has the hole in it you have to have the seal inside the tailhousing. Its a cylindrical seal.
I'll have to look at my other yoke to see if it is the hole kind or not. Tranny was originally in another vehicle, so maybe it needs the other type of yoke. I'll check out the yokes.

Thanks a whole bunch for the info!

Bill's Gallery
Old 09-21-2011, 09:08 PM   #9
westie 666

Had the same issue with my trans leaking when parked up for over two weeks, I removed the yoke and cleaned it up and put a dab of silicone in the small hole, has never leaked since.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:13 PM   #10
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

That was the problem, a hole in the yoke. I have the other yoke that came with the tranny (no hole) off and ready to install.

However, the U-joints on the drive shaft have no clips and the U-joints are not coming out of the shaft. My vice even cracked trying to press them out.

It looks like some plastic type stuff was put in the little holes to fill the inside grove instead of clips. Any of you folks ever run across that issue or design. I am guessing these are the original U-joints from the factory in 83.

Bill's Gallery
Old 09-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #11
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

I hate trannies too, but I seem to like my TH400. its the ONLY auto trans in any car I've ever had I havent broken yet. and i drive hard and get pissed if the vehicle can't keep up.

And I've noticed, I drive HARD and this auto trans is also in the heaviest vehicle ive ever owned too.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:36 PM   #12
Mattman2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
That was the problem, a hole in the yoke. I have the other yoke that came with the tranny (no hole) off and ready to install.

However, the U-joints on the drive shaft have no clips and the U-joints are not coming out of the shaft. My vice even cracked trying to press them out.

It looks like some plastic type stuff was put in the little holes to fill the inside grove instead of clips. Any of you folks ever run across that issue or design. I am guessing these are the original U-joints from the factory in 83.
Yes there is plastic in the grooves, sense your vice cracked i would grab a punch and a BFH and go to town on it. That is what I had to do with my drive shaft to change out some of the old joints.

1984 K30 CC Dually - "The Tank"
12V Cummins/Nv4500/Np205/D60/D70HD 4" lift & 37's
Build Thread

1960 C-60 Dump Truck
Make it road worthy!
Thread
Mattman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:26 AM   #13
Maxxd07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post

A torch will make your life WAY easier. That is the proper way to remove the factory plastic. It doesnt take much, as a small propane torch will work too. Heat the yoke up and the plastic will come out of the holes. Your u-joints will come right out. The new u-joint will come with clips and dont forget to install them or bad things will happen! (Ask me how I know , neighbors fresh restore 71 SS Chevelle)
P.S. I dont know about new vehicles but the plastic in the yokes was used into the later 2000s pickup driveshafts.
Couple 70s
One 68
Maxxd07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #14
burb1085

yea I had the same problem on my th350. After I fixed the weep hole it decided to start leaking where the detent cable meets the trans. Fixed that up and now its leaking some wheres up by the torque converter, probly the darned pump seal.
burb1085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:12 AM   #15
woodridge

Word of caution. If the tranny has the internal O-Ring to seal the yoke and the vent hole is plugged in the yoke, you can wipe out the thrust bearings/washers in the tranny. The air in the yoke has to vent or it will create vaccum/presure as the yoke moves in and out. Seen it happen too many times.
woodridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #16
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodridge View Post
Word of caution. If the tranny has the internal O-Ring to seal the yoke and the vent hole is plugged in the yoke, you can wipe out the thrust bearings/washers in the tranny. The air in the yoke has to vent or it will create vaccum/presure as the yoke moves in and out. Seen it happen too many times.
I think I should be OK Woody. The non-hole yoke came from the vehicle that my replacement tranny came from, so I will assume that this one was designed to be without a hole.

Worse I can do is blow it up and start over again.

Bill's Gallery
Old 09-22-2011, 10:55 AM   #17
STOCKISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodridge View Post
If it had the internal seal the fluid wouldnt be leaking through the yoke.

Definately heat the yoke with a torch and the plastic will squirt out! Looks like a worm. And there will be alot more than you would think. Probably will squirt out 3-4 inches from each side!!

Glad you got the leak fixed buddy!

Old 09-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #18
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

It's marking its territory. I have the same problem on a $2K transmission. I gave up. I'll just abuse it to make up for it.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:17 PM   #19
406 Q-ship

That seal is NOT leaking, it is coming from the weep hole in the yoke itself. The weep hole is behind the u-joint and is there to allow air to not get trapped in the yoke between the output. Clean the area well with brake clean and put a dab of silicone sealer on the tip of your finger and place it over that weep hole. To toss that amount of fluid that looks like is dripping off the yoke, your trans fuild level might be a bit high.

700R4 transmission are natural weapers, when left to sit the fluid level is higher than the oil pan split line with the case. So fluid just wicks past the pan gasket, it is a fault of the 700R4/4L60. Getting a deeper pan and resetting the dipstick will fix this problem.

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote