The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2011, 12:16 AM   #1
wc63

t5 question

i found a t5 and it looks like its a wc but im not sure. is any t5 with the shifter at the end of the tail tailshaft housing a wc? and what should i look for as far as input and output shafts' splines and length. i looked up the number on the tailshaft but couldnt find any info:
13-52-066-923
any help is appreciated.
wc63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:21 AM   #2
jocko

Re: t5 question

shifter location only indicative of what it may have come out of (i.e. F-body vs. S10, etc)
Best way to ID a WC is as follows:
1) cross-ref the ID tag 1352-XXX here: http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Bo...T5-ID-Tags.htm
and
2) the best eyeball way is to check the front near the bearing retainer - look at the countershaft bearing retainer. The Non-WC has a one-piece design that looks like a large freeze plug while the WC has a two-piece design that looks like two concentric circles. Here’s a pic of each (lifted from the HAMB) WC, then non WC:

(EDIT - OOPS, noticed 066 is not listed on the link, standby, I'll look elsewhere)
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:26 AM   #3
jocko

ah, belay my last - tailshaft casting number doesn't mean anything. Does your trans have a metal "tag" located on it anywhere? THAT is the number to look up in the link above. Bottom line though, just look at the front and compare to the 2 pics above and you can ID if WC or not.

Also, if i/p shaft is approx 7+1/16", then it's the longer version and you'll need an adapter to space it out.

It is a true statement that if you have the shifter at the end of the tailshaft that it's MORE LIKELY a WC than if you had a fwd located shifter - because many more camaro's had WCs than S10s, but still gotta check the countershaft bearing retainer to be sure (or attached metal ID tag - but that's not really a guarantee either). There were WC and non-WC available in both tailshaft/shifter configurations.

Input shaft spline count is NOT an indication of WC or Non-WC status. 14 spline WCs were available in the S10.

Last edited by jocko; 09-22-2011 at 12:59 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:23 AM   #4
wc63

thanks for the info jocko. i dont have the tranny with me. ill check it out tomorrow. the guy said he was gonna put it in a el camino, but never did. how many splines do i need to look for to make sure its the gm version?
Old 09-22-2011, 01:43 AM   #5
jocko

input shaft should be either:
14 spline (use an astro van clutch disk setup) or 26 spline (use a camaro clutch disk setup)
(note, 14 spline is likely the longer i/p shaft arrangement and will require a spacer (I have this setup) and the 26 spline would likely be the correct input shaft length - but also probably have the rearward shifter location) - BUT measure to be sure (ref measurement above for the long i/p shaft).

output shaft should be 27 spline (if it's 28, it's a Ford T5)
Old 09-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
jocko

btw, here's a plate that I JUST found online - would have probably been easier than making one - but I don't know if it will work on a V8 or on a later bell hsg (post-62).

Does anyone know how the bell hsg changed after 62 other than switching from hyd slave to mech linkage? If that is all that changed, I'd think this would work on any 60-66 bell housing, v8 or I6 for the purpose of spacing the input shaft. Anyone know? It's a nice piece of gear - one of the guys on the 47-59 forum is installing it, that's how I stumbled across it. By the way, Hamilton Intakes makes one too, but I tried for months and months to get one from them, and they completely flaked. Will never deal with them again. "Out of Stock" on their website apparently means "pack sand buddy..." Ok, so much for my shameless endorsement of anything NOT Hamilton Intakes.

http://vintagemetalworks.blogspot.co...ter-plate.html
Old 09-22-2011, 09:23 PM   #7
wc63

the plate is definitely worth considering. the guy is also throwing in the housing for 20 bucks, so imma take it just in case. i still dont know if it will bolt up to the gmc v6 but imagine most of the gm parts were similar in those years. but then again my truck is a 63 an i got a hydraulic clutch. imma look at it tomorrow. didnt have time today. thanks again jocko.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:31 PM   #8
jocko

u betcha, hope it works out. Yep, 63 jimmy's a bit off the beaten path as 63 chevs had converted to mech linkage by then. BUT, it shouldn't matter as long as the mounting pattern and index ring opening are the same. You could still use your slave cyl clutch setup - as long as the trans physically will mount to the gmc bell. I think it should - but probably good idea to take that extra housing just in case. BUT, it would be nice to keep the current slave setup just to minimize the stuff you're changing and to keep it if you like it.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:54 PM   #9
wc63

no bueno. the guy called back and said it has 14 spline. so, from what i undestand, it came out of the v6 camaro or firebird. its still a pretty good price. the guy is asking for 120 for tranny and bell. but i would still have to replace the tailshaft housing to fit my truck. i guess ill keep looking.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #10
wc63

So i found a t5 finally. it is a camaro/firebird t5, so i had to have the tailshaft housing replaced. when i was looking i found a guy on phx craigs that specializes in t5s so i bought the housing from him and he volunteered to replace if for me since i was buying the parts from him, good deal. when i was leaving i asked about the yoke and whether or not my current yoke would fit the t5. he had a few t5's lying around along with some 3 speeds. he pulled a yoke from one of the 3 speeds and put it in the t5 housing and it slipped right in. "i guess it will" he said". today when i removed my drive shaft the 1st thing i did was check the yoke. "of course", no go, my yoke is 16 spline and the t5 output shaft is 27. is there an easy fix to this? or is this gonna cost another 100 bones to find the parts? will an s10 yoke fit in place of my current one. btw i have a 63 gmc v6. any help is appreciated
Old 05-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #11
1enick72

An s10 shaft will work. I used the whole s10 shaft and had it shortened and balenced and joints replaced, since they had it torn apart anyway. The rear joint is a different measurment on both sides because my yoke is bigger on the rear diff but the drive shaft place will have those just measure your rear diff yoke and give it to them.

Here is another option for the adaptor plate.
http://hamiltonintakes.com/products/...5-swap-adapter
1enick72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #12
wc63

thanks enick,
i found a driveshaft place nearby that will sell me the yoke for 50 something bucks. not too bad i guess. i might as well buy it when i have them shorten my driveshaft. i have seen that hamilton website before. i have the camaro v8 t5, though. from what i understand, that adapter is only needed if the t5 came from a 4cyl engine, im not sure about the v6's. thanks again
Old 05-29-2012, 01:46 AM   #13
wc63

so i got the camaro/ firebird t5 (v8) and i got the clutch and flywheel off of my gmc 305 v6. from what i had understood all i needed to do was get a camaro clutch kit and it should bolt on to original flywhell. i measured my original cltuch and its 11" when i went to autozone the clutch they gave me was 10.4" and i took the flywheel in just in case and of course, it does not bolt up. i figured the clutch size is not a bid deal but the press plate has all the holes in the proper area but in a narrower diameter. napa had to order it so ill check with them tomorrow. am i missing something? should i be using a clutch kit from some other vechicle? has anyone put a t5 behind a 305 v6? if so, i could use some pointers.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:54 AM   #14
padresag

gmc used a different clutch disc than a chevrolet did. I would ask on Jollies 60-66 site. there seems that there is always someone having problems with finding discs. you just may have to get your old one rebuilt with a different spline in it
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:42 AM   #15
brokenspoke

V 6 Astro van used a 11 inch clutch.....BTW be sure its a cable speedo....
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:42 AM   #16
erock805

Yeah I used the astro clutch in two of mine. something like 82 to 86. Had to trim the input shaft and sleeve then used washers between the trans and the bell housing. They work great.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #17
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
gmc used a different clutch disc than a chevrolet did. I would ask on Jollies 60-66 site. there seems that there is always someone having problems with finding discs. you just may have to get your old one rebuilt with a different spline in it
ron
this is a gmc application , not a chevrolet and I believe that there is a difference where the hub centre approaches the flywheel. do not use washers to space the trans from the bellhousing
ron
Old 05-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #18
wc63

@ erock & brokenspoke
thanks for the tip fellas. ill check on that astro van clutch. im not sure if theyll have it in 26 spline for my t5 thoug. imma check today anyway.

@brokenspoke
the cable speedo was one of my main concerns. its a v8 t5 so i had to have the s10 t5 tailshaft housing installed. the guy i got the tailshaft housing from is a t5 nut. he replaced it for me since i was buying the part from him. cool guy "t5 guy" on phx craigs.

@ padresag
i posted the question there too. it takes a while before they actually post it though. someone has to review and make sure it complies with who knows what. no response yet
thanks for the help folks
Old 05-29-2012, 06:11 PM   #19
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc63 View Post
@ erock & brokenspoke
thanks for the tip fellas. ill check on that astro van clutch. im not sure if theyll have it in 26 spline for my t5 thoug. imma check today anyway.

@brokenspoke
the cable speedo was one of my main concerns. its a v8 t5 so i had to have the s10 t5 tailshaft housing installed. the guy i got the tailshaft housing from is a t5 nut. he replaced it for me since i was buying the part from him. cool guy "t5 guy" on phx craigs.

@ padresag
i posted the question there too. it takes a while before they actually post it though. someone has to review and make sure it complies with who knows what. no response yet
not everything is instant. somebody also has to read it and have the knowledge to answer, by the way the answer was there before 8.00 this morning, so don't say that there was no answer there. this is it and the fellow that did reply is a good guy

I'm guessing your Camaro clutch is 26 spline and about 10-1/2" diameter,
correct?

Ok, try the disc on your flywheel and see if the hub interferes with
anything. If it clears, use your stock pressure plate and you are home
free. If it doesn't, you will need to get a clutch rebuilder to make a
custom disc for you.

Btw, if you want to use the Camaro pressure plate badly enough, you
could have a machine shop drill the smaller bolt pattern on your stock
flywheel, but I really don't see what you would gain by doing this.

Ray Brown
San Francisco

ron
Old 05-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #20
padresag

Quote:
@ erock & brokenspoke

@brokenspoke

@ padresag
what speedo drive was on the trans. if itwas the mechanical one you will be alright by just putting on the s10 rear hsing
otherwise you will have to mount a speedo gear on the output shaft and I believe that there is a modification to putting it on
Old 05-29-2012, 11:45 PM   #21
wc63

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
not everything is instant. somebody also has to read it and have the knowledge to answer, by the way the answer was there before 8.00 this morning, so don't say that there was no answer there. this is it and the fellow that did reply is a good guy
Yeah. I saw the reply after i checked this forum. i was waiting for a notification on my phone, but forgot its not linked to my ymail acct. Thats not a bad idea didnt think it would be that simple. I may do that or use my original clutch and press plate and have the hub replaced with a 26 spline (if possible)

I am not sure what the speedo was before. I think it may have been mechanical but in a different location than were the s10 speedo would go. The guy that replaced my tail housing included that in the job. we'll see how it works out once i get her rolling

@ ercok805
i called autozone and that clutch does seem like the right size but its a 14 spline, so thats not gonna work either, i need the 26 spline.
Im going to check with a clutch and brake shop to see what they suggest. im sure one of the suggestions ive had so far will be a viable one.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:13 AM   #22
brap999

FYI, if there are labels on the T5 that say 'USE ATF ONLY' or something to that effect, then it is a world class. The non-wc does not have those labels.

Also, if you don't have a mechanical speedo gear housing in it, you can use a TH350 speedo gear housing, with a TH350 speedo gear. I use it in my T5 and it works like a charm. I've heard mixed things about the T5 mechanical speedo gear housings still being available aside from used ones. The TH350 speedo gear housings are abundant.
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ
2018 Chevy Camaro ZL1-1LE
It's never too early to beef up my obituary
brap999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:28 AM   #23
jocko

'Use ATF only tag' is not a reliable indicator of a WC - all T5s use ATF for lubrication, WC and non-WC alike.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #24
wc63

I was told i should use 75 weight gear oil. Since my t5 is not a wc and does not have the updated synchros.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #25
hop sing

Quote:
So i found a t5 finally. it is a camaro/firebird t5, so i had to have the tailshaft housing replaced. when i was looking i found a guy on phx craigs that specializes in t5s so i bought the housing from him and he volunteered to replace if for me since i was buying the parts from him, good deal. when i was leaving i asked about the yoke and whether or not my current yoke would fit the t5. he had a few t5's lying around along with some 3 speeds. he pulled a yoke from one of the 3 speeds and put it in the t5 housing and it slipped right in. "i guess it will" he said". today when i removed my drive shaft the 1st thing i did was check the yoke. "of course", no go, my yoke is 16 spline and the t5 output shaft is 27. is there an easy fix to this? or is this gonna cost another 100 bones to find the parts? will an s10 yoke fit in place of my current one. btw i have a 63 gmc v6. any help is appreciated
Good mornin can i get contact info for the t-5 info in phoniex i think that what u said ? thx HOP
hop sing is offline   Reply With Quote