The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

how bout some pics of custom cold air setups

here's mine to start it off, the ends of the hoses are out of view....they run to a 4" mount bolted to lower corners of the rad support and draws air only from outside the engine compartment.
Attached Images

Last edited by RUSHNBOBO; 09-23-2011 at 03:55 PM. Reason: added info
Old 09-22-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: how bout some pics of custom cold air setups

I did mine several years ago.

Over view:

Inlet hole for the air.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
68 short step

Re: how bout some pics of custom cold air setups

Old 09-22-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Cool Re: how bout some pics of custom cold air setups

68 short step,
hope you never have to pull that radiator! Nice metal work by the way. I like the clean look.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
C20-67_N_MO
Champagne Taste on Beer Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
68 short step,
hope you never have to pull that radiator! Nice metal work by the way. I like the clean look.
x2

That's just sick!

Everyone: good job!
Old 09-22-2011, 07:07 PM   #6
AirSpeed

Nice work guys! Does the cold air intake make a noticeable difference, can you actually feel the difference! They all look very nice!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2011, 05:37 AM   #7
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 short step View Post
Looks good ...did you have to use bubble connectors of some sort on the ends, to prevent engine movement from cracking the tubing?

I am thinking doing a full fabricated polished aluminum setup and eliminate the flex tube. Spectre will weld and re-polish the tubing, after you cut, fit and mark all the pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSpeed View Post
Nice work guys! Does the cold air intake make a noticeable difference, can you actually feel the difference! They all look very nice!
You get approx 1% increase in HP for every 10 degrees you lower the intake air temp.

So just for an example, figure a under-hood temp of 180 degrees, and the ambient temp outside the engine compartment of 90 degrees. You would have a 90 degree reduction in intake temp.

This example would give you approx 9% increase in HP, note there are many complicated variables which can vary this number involving calculating the exact air density. But it gives a good idea of the free horsepower to be had from a engine drawing air from outside the engine compartment vs. one which draws from directly behind the radiator

Can you feel the gain?.......
in ideal conditions it could be as much as 25-30 HP...... and vs. a non cold air system ....and that's definitely enough to "feel".
Old 09-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

What I have never understood is a cold air setup that the tube ends right in front of the motor and it's sucking the same hot air it did before. I just don't understand it.

I talked with a guy at a show who had a beatiful 68 camaro and his cold air ran down under the motor and stoped. No scoop nothing just a tube. I asked why he did it this way and he said it was the only way it would pull air in. Cold air isn't pulled in it's suppose to be forced in when you go down the road. That's why you want it to have an opening on the front end of the vehicle to have the free flowing air to be forced into it. I have the sheet metal covers between the grille and the rad support to help with this also.
On a nice cool day you can feel a differance in the way the motor reacts.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 09-23-2011, 11:32 AM   #9
Dunenutt
Newbee

Dont have a pic of it with the hose on. I guess it's a cowl induction/cold air setup. I don't know how well it works yet.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2011, 11:50 AM   #10
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunenutt View Post
Dont have a pic of it with the hose on. I guess it's a cowl induction/cold air setup. I don't know how well it works yet.
You going to have a NASCAR type setup. Keep us posted on it looks like a cool idea.
Did you block off the vents inside to force the air back out the tube?

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 09-23-2011, 12:25 PM   #11
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Quote:
[B][COLOR="Red"]What I have never understood is a cold air setup that the tube ends right in front of the motor and it's sucking the same hot air it did before. I just don't understand it.

I talked with a guy at a show who had a beatiful 68 camaro and his cold air ran down under the motor and stoped. No scoop nothing just a tube. I asked why he did it this way and he said it was the only way it would pull air in.
Iv'e seen a bunch done this way....and it's definitively not the optimum setup. Ideally the air should come from "outside" the engine compartment. Some will run them down in the corners near the bottom of the rad support, where they terminate and draw air from there, is this better than an open element setup? ...Sure any time your not pulling air from directly behind radiator it's cooler, but how much?

Iv'e open my hood after running up to full temp and put my hand both inside the rad support and outside in the same place, down near the bottom. The temperature difference is substantial, probably 40-50 degrees, this is horsepower lost maybe 4-5 percent, vs. isolating the intake completely outside the engine compartment.

Last edited by RUSHNBOBO; 09-23-2011 at 03:59 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-23-2011, 12:28 PM   #12
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSHNBOBO View Post
Looks good ...did you have to use bubble connectors of some sort on the ends, to prevent engine movement from cracking the tubing?

I am thinking doing a full fabricated polished aluminum setup and eliminate the flex tube. Spectre will weld and re-polish the tubing, after you cut, fit and mark all the pieces.

do you have pic, or link to these bubble connectors you refer to....I planned on making mine like yours, but I would like to pull the air from the cowl area

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
Old 09-23-2011, 12:59 PM   #13
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
do you have pic, or link to these bubble connectors you refer to....I planned on making mine like yours, but I would like to pull the air from the cowl area
it's more commonly called a "hump hose"coupler...it give's the system the flex you need when using solid tubing
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #14
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: how bout some pics of custom cold air setups

Quote:
Iv'e seen a bunch done this way....and it's definitively not the optimum setup. Ideally your right, the air should come from "outside" the engine compartment. Some will run them down in the corners near the bottom of the rad support, is this better than an open element setup? ...Sure any time your not pulling air from directly behind radiator it's cooler, but how much?

Iv'e open my hood after running up to full temp and put my hand both inside the rad support and outside in the same place, down near the bottom. The temperature difference is substantial, probably 40-50 degrees, this is horsepower lost maybe 4-5 percent, vs. isolating the intake completely outside the engine compartment.
Yes it's not the best but most of them are that way. That's why I did mine the way I did it. I know the plastic hose isn't the greatest insulator but with it being semi forced through I figured the air isn't loosing that much temperature differance.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 09-23-2011, 03:44 PM   #15
Dunenutt
Newbee

Quote:
You going to have a NASCAR type setup. Keep us posted on it looks like a cool idea.
Did you block off the vents inside to force the air back out the tube?
I have the vintage air kit inside, and the blower housing blocks that vent. I left the vent flap in, but sealed it shut. Judging from the past, there should be more than enough flow, even with the driver side vent open.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #16
Andy4639
Old member

Cool!
I like it.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 09-23-2011, 04:02 PM   #17
67chevemall

Quote:
Very creative! kudos!
Old 09-23-2011, 04:24 PM   #18
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Here's a great read about "Ram air intake myths" ......not to be confused with "cold air intakes"

The Ram Air Myth by Dave Rodabaugh

http://www.paladinmicro.com/documents/RamAirMyth.pdf
Old 09-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #19
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Quote:
it should work fine, as the cowl area is and isolated from the engine compartment, the temp drop there would be the same as anywhere else.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #20
Dunenutt
Newbee

Quote:
Here's a great read about "Ram air intake myths" ......not to be confused with "cold air intakes"

The Ram Air Myth by Dave Rodabaugh

http://www.paladinmicro.com/documents/RamAirMyth.pdf
That made my brain hurt! But very informative.
Closed Thread