The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2011, 10:02 AM   #1
Dustin07
Stirrer of the Pot

What's your budget?

my '62 is half bagged (rear) with two compressors, 4 valves, and a decent switch. a 350/350 combo (although I think the th350 is getting replaced or rebuilt). I'm into it for $1500. My goal is no more than $10k when its all said and done. I have about $4500 in plans for it before end of year.

I'm wondering what you guys budget, long term, for your projects?

I don't plan to ever paint mine anything fancier than flat black, but the interior I would like to have cleaned up for the wife.
Dustin07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
theastronaut

Re: What's your budget?

Mine budget is unlimited; its just the length of time it takes to make enough extra money to spend on it that's giving me problems.

Seriously though, I usually don't set an amount to stay under to finish a project. I build them how I want to but have to wait until I can afford to buy more parts for the next step, and it will get finished whenever it gets finished. I'd rather it take longer and have the final product I really want than to short cut something by spending less and it not be what I really wanted in the long run.

Atleast my labor rates are cheap!!
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
brawley
Easy Does It

From my experience it always cost twice as much and takes three times as long as you plan as long as you don't need much body work and can do most of the work yourself than you can get out pretty good. but you have to remember all the small stuff that adds up that we usually don't consider in our budget. just don't go tearing it completly apart like I did- if you do things tend to spiral out of control and you end up wanting to replace everything. just do 1 project at a time, that way you can drive it and enjoy it as you go.
brawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
LT1 Burb

My budget also is whatever it takes. I don't however put any of my money from my paycheck into a project. I do side jobs and buy and sell anything for a profit to get enough capitol to work with. Keeps me motivated to keep making extra money, that way none of the other bills get neglected for a truck.I am hoping my truck will be done for under 15K, my suburban unfortunately was closer to 40K.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
Dustin07
Stirrer of the Pot

yeah body work is the one thing I actually really enjoy. I'm not good with engine mechanics, luckily this 350 is fantastic as is. But I do really like body work. its something i'm fairly well tooled for, and can take my time with.

My plan is to start at the front bumper and work my way back. one thing at a time. bumper. fenders. hood. headlight/assy/grill, etc. Then interior/cab/doors, etc.

thats the plan, but I already have some ideas for the rear so it probably won't go in order lol.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
shortbed70

Quote:
Originally Posted by brawley View Post
From my experience it always cost twice as much and takes three times as long as you plan as long as you don't need much body work and can do most of the work yourself than you can get out pretty good. but you have to remember all the small stuff that adds up that we usually don't consider in our budget. just don't go tearing it completly apart like I did- if you do things tend to spiral out of control and you end up wanting to replace everything. just do 1 project at a time, that way you can drive it and enjoy it as you go.
If you look at my build, the first statement is right on! As far as my budget, doing everything myself or with the help of a friend I have been able to get mine where it is at for around 4k if I had to buy everything I salvaged from my last truck. The total budget ? I would like to also be under 10k but we will see if I blow that when I go to buy my paint and interior! If I was figuring hours at say $55 per hour I would be well over 4k!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
Chevy Fleetside

Did he say budget? yes he did. having a budget is like

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:02 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

My budget is $0. But,that's all it costs to be a wannabee . When I did (and hopefully will again) have money and built/fixed up/what-evered a lot of trucks I spent what I had and did what I could until it was the way I wanted. No time frame,no budget,just did it until it was done,then enjoy.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #9
Dustin07
Stirrer of the Pot

If the wife understands that I plan to spend $XX,XXX, then its easier to continue spending $X without grief, LOL.

example A: we are selling our wrangler today and all of that cash is going straight to a shop locally i'm hiring to swap out the front torsion for airbags. In the past, that's a project I would have had to do myself. (I just don't have the time these days with a 2yr old and full time school)
Old 09-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #10
jimmydean

I go by the basic rule. Set a budget, double it, then be happy if you don't spend more. My initial budget was $7k (less than what I sold my "new" truck for). If I can build it for less than $10k, I will be a happy bastard.

Only spent about $3k so far, but no big ticket items have been purchased.

<edit> This works, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I spent what I had and did what I could until it was the way I wanted. No time frame,no budget,just did it until it was done,then enjoy.
I do like to have a general time frame in mind. Ultimately I would like my truck done (minus paint) by Summer. Done, done will be whenever I get a chance to paint the outside.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #11
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Every time i set a budget, i wind up frustrated with myself and my project; even if it turned out great... i know i "spent too much"

Sooo I just stopped thinking about it. Instead focus of finding good deals on what you need/want, sell unused parts, and keep your eyes on the overall goal for the project. I think you'd be surprised how far you can make $$ go this way, and you never get overwhelmed by the constant issue of budget.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #12
dodgiesdad

It hurts to even think about a budget. Mine varies with what side jobs I get. My wife does not complain about me spending what I want as long as it does not come out of our "regular" salaries. I love side jobs. I am building a second body on a junker with the intentions of swapping it onto my driver when all is said and done, that way I can continue to drive and enjoy mine while I am working on it. Hoping to have the "new" cab done by the end of Oct.
dodgiesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #13
SIR
SIR

budget....we don't need no stinking budget.....( i wish )....
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #14
lil_sahara450r

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIR View Post
budget....we don't need no stinking budget.....( i wish )....
thats what it seems like my budget is turning into! but really, theres just no need to make one. just get what you can when times allow, and dont take any shortcuts. when you FINALLY get it done you can sit back in a lawn chair with a tasty beverage, look at it, and have no regrets that you didnt do "this or that" because you took shortcuts. just be patient and spend wisely and you'll be happy.
lil_sahara450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #15
LSXTravis

Well fortunately I am not married and I don't have kids which makes it easy to say this......AS MUCH AS I WANT TO!!!!! No for real I will spend as much getting my truck as a daily driver. If I went to the dealership and bought a brand new Chevrolet/GMC Avalanche I would be looking to spend around $36-42K. I don't think I will have that much in it but who knows? I want a mild restomod in that I want 5X5 lug wheels, about a 3/5 dropped in front and back respectively, stock looking paint job with stock trim, stock looking interior with a neutral tan leather stock seat, sound deadner to make it more quiet when cruisin, a junkyard 5.3 LS1 with 4 spd auto, and a custom made walnut wood bed. I think I will have it come in around oh lets see....1 MILLION DOLLARS!!!!!!! LOL we shall see.
LSXTravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:28 PM   #16
Dustin07
Stirrer of the Pot

well I just put the softtop on the wrangler for my brother... which means he drove it away and is leaving me with another $3k to spend on the '62. I want my '62 to be nice enough for the wife to drive, but I am not into full off hot rod restos (although I appreciate them for sure!). I think I'm going to try to talk the wife into letting me get a $5k line of credit just for this truck so that by end of year I have:

Tranny fixed
front bagged
interior done
bed done (inside of bed)

everything else I can do myself.

I'm at about $2500 I think for finish bags/layframe/reroute exhaust/tranny fix/replace.

I'm not sure $2500 will cover the other details, but if it does, it makes the '62 wifeable. then over time I can fix/replace rusted fenders, bumpers, doors, etc. maybe someday chop it. powercoat rims, etc.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #17
Dustin07
Stirrer of the Pot

the only catch 22 is I just got a $1900 medical bill for an appendix/mri the doctor decided to leave in. (even though she said I had appendicitis AT LEAST once before, lol. thats $1900 that could have finished my bags and frame layin. doh.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #18
198plus

Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Fleetside View Post
Did he say budget? yes he did. having a budget is like
198plus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:22 PM   #19
PGSigns

I have a very simple budget process. When I get a chunk of change that it the budget. So I buy stuff for the truck that turns that number to 0 and start again when I put together another chunk of change. That way I never exceed the budget.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:57 PM   #20
Slowtruk

no budget
1961 c-10 Apache short fleet
2005 Chevy Suburban LT
2012 Hyundai Sonata
Slowtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:46 PM   #21
JesseSimon
Asks alot of questions

I am just starting out my project. I wouldn't say I have a budget, just that I am not going to spend any money from my paycheck on it. So far I have expended about $800 and not a cent of it was "out of pocket" per say. I paid for that with a money from a garage sale and scrapped wire and metal that I pick up remodeling houses. $800 spent and I currently have $400 left in my "truck account". Like another member said up top, it drives me to keep making extra money!
'07 MAZDA 3 (the wife's ride)
JesseSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:58 PM   #22
Slow Build

My budget is for me to know and my wife to never figure out.
Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside
1968 GMC short stepside-4x4
1973 Chevy short stepside
1989 Chevy short fleetside-reg cab
1993 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab
2002 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab

Save the dinosaurs, use synthetic oil.
Slow Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:01 AM   #23
Vernski

An old friend of mine who had been restoring old cars said if you have to ask how much it costs you,you probably can't afford it. I try to work within a budget some months are better than others. Also I try not to get to many things going at once but it all circles around the money tree. So there are the
haves and the have knots I'm somewhere in the middle slightly knotted I am re-tired...Vernski
Vernski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #24
Dustin07
Stirrer of the Pot

LOL I am all for life long projects and money pits. I'm hoping to have mine in DD condition for that $10k mark. including air suspension, and a decent interior. But not "finished" so we'll see....... can't wait though probably going to get my front end done within the next week or two.. PROGRESS. I haven't had a bagged truck in 3 years!!
Old 09-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #25
Indian113

I don't use a budget,I decide on something I want to do-save up enough money. Then I buy the parts as soon as I get the money together or my money gets SPENT!!!! Then I try not to take to long repairing or changing the truck" Learned my Lessons a long time ago"
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote