The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
dcmalone

My 55 Re-Do

I've been lurking here since I picked the truck (1955 2nd, small window) up a few months ago. I've done alot of reading on here and already had quite a few questions answered though the oh-so-handy search button. I sold a motorcycle so that my son (12) and I could have a good father and son project to work on. We are doing all the work ourselves and are having a blast so far. Just wanted to say hi and start a build thread that I'll be horrible about updating. These are a few pictures when we got the truck home, one of which is the custom front suspension.
Attached Images

dcmalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:49 PM   #2
dcmalone

Re: My 55 Re-Do

A few more pictures. My son (needing a haircut) working on the front bumper and one of the interior after taking out the ziptied Fiero bucket seat and putting in a $40 junkyard mid-eighties chevy bench.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2011, 11:01 PM   #3
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Hello and welcome to the site.

Great looking project and its even greater that you and your son will be building it together. Good luck to the both of you and enjoy the build.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:05 PM   #4
dcmalone

Thanks, didn't recognize your screen name, but I recognize the truck. Still one of the most inspiring builds ever.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:29 PM   #5
STEVE60

Great looking truck. My daughter moved out this summer for school and she is all I got. That might be why my truck is still in a shed and not being worked on. My girl had purple hair and she turned out alright, so don't be to hard on him. Good luck with the build, always pictures. They motivate the rest of us (me anyway).
Steve
STEVE60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:50 PM   #6
OrrieG

Your wooden bump stop reminded me that in 1974 when I worked the docks in El Paso the chicken smugglers (yes there are such a thing) would bring these 52ish chevy turtle deck cars over the border to load up. One of the tricks was to jack up the rear bumper and put a 4x4 between the axle and frame for "over load". Behind the seat was basically a tub with a carpeted lid. They even built boxes in the front fenders so they could load frozen chicken thru the headlight openings. Quite creative. They were not checked on the US side and would bribe the Mexican side border guards. At that time we sold a 2# fryer for around 45 cents, they would sell them in the barrio for a buck a piece door to door.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:02 AM   #7
hotrodrookie

Welcome to the site. It's great to see parent/kid projects. Make sure you take lots of pictures of the truck for us to see, but also pictures of you two doing the work together. I get a kick out of seeing pictures of my dad working on his cars in the 70's, so one day I'd like to do the same looking back at mine.
Anyways, what are your plans for the truck? drivetrain, suspension, bodywork?
hotrodrookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:15 AM   #8
Kim57

Welcome
You can't tease us with these pics and then not keep updating the build.
KIm
Old 09-24-2011, 12:26 AM   #9
Rude Dude

Welcome gald to see your son involved, remember when my Dad was a live he always had us working on his and our projects.
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:33 AM   #10
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmalone View Post
A few more pictures. My son (needing a haircut) working on the front bumper and one of the interior after taking out the ziptied Fiero bucket seat and putting in a $40 junkyard mid-eighties chevy bench.
You need do do something about the color on the seat though!JK
Looks like fun.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:38 AM   #11
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Your wooden bump stop reminded me that in 1974 when I worked the docks in El Paso the chicken smugglers (yes there are such a thing) would bring these 52ish chevy turtle deck cars over the border to load up. One of the tricks was to jack up the rear bumper and put a 4x4 between the axle and frame for "over load". Behind the seat was basically a tub with a carpeted lid. They even built boxes in the front fenders so they could load frozen chicken thru the headlight openings. Quite creative. They were not checked on the US side and would bribe the Mexican side border guards. At that time we sold a 2# fryer for around 45 cents, they would sell them in the barrio for a buck a piece door to door.
I thought that was chicken chokers.lol.
the things people do! there is no shortage of live entertainment.A we don't even need a tv.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:06 AM   #12
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Welcome to a great site! I'm sure you and your son will have a great time working together. Keep the updates coming!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:49 PM   #13
dcmalone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
You need do do something about the color on the seat though!JK
Looks like fun.
What, you don't like the natural foam color? We actually already have it recovered in black after replacing a few bad foam spots. We've replaced the front shackles, shocks, rebuilt the brake cylinder (until we can get a dual master), replaced front brake lines and are currently working on the interior. I'll get some more pictures posted tonight.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:53 PM   #14
dcmalone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodrookie View Post
Welcome to the site. It's great to see parent/kid projects. Make sure you take lots of pictures of the truck for us to see, but also pictures of you two doing the work together. I get a kick out of seeing pictures of my dad working on his cars in the 70's, so one day I'd like to do the same looking back at mine.
Anyways, what are your plans for the truck? drivetrain, suspension, bodywork?
The susupension is staying stock for now, really want to get it drivable for a while. It has a 350sbc and TH350 with a 10 bolt rearend. Everything is being done by us at the house. The body is pretty straight, but I get to re-learn some old body hammer skills that I haven't used in awhile.

More pics to come.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:04 PM   #15
dcmalone

Of course the inner cab corners had great ventilation to the outside air. We pieced together a template with several pieces of cardboard and made a master afterwards. We then cut some sheetmetal to fit and after about a million tack welds and a liberal amount of seam sealer and paint we have deleted the cab corner hole. I really need to be better about taking pictures during the process.
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2011, 10:15 PM   #16
dcmalone

Getting this truck for me and my son resparked the hot rod desire in my dad. He and I spent many a day working on my Chevelle when I was 16. Long story short...we found this a few weeks ago, had it pulled out of the woods, and delivered it to his house today. It was under water during the flood last year, but the oil is amazingly clean considering.
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2011, 10:16 PM   #17
dcmalone

The delivery to Alabama.
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2011, 10:24 PM   #18
dcmalone

For anyone who was wondering, this is the bike I got rid of.
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2011, 11:31 PM   #19
Root2812

I like the side mount spare on your truck. My 1950 is also a short box but doesn't have the fender with the dimple to do that. Do you know if the shape and mounting is the same as the earlier AD's without the side spare?

Edit: sorry your fathers truck... I had to re-read the post.
Root2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:00 PM   #20
dcmalone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Root2812 View Post
I like the side mount spare on your truck. My 1950 is also a short box but doesn't have the fender with the dimple to do that. Do you know if the shape and mounting is the same as the earlier AD's without the side spare?

Edit: sorry your fathers truck... I had to re-read the post.
I believe it's the same from what I've read from '47 to at least '53. If I remember correctly they all use the same fender. I wish I could find the mount for my 55 2nd.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:11 PM   #21
dcmalone

Started installing some sound deadner/insulation today. We'll be doing the entire cab, covering it and the back wall behind the tank with marine grade vinyl. Haven't decided on carpet or an original type rubber mat for the floor. We already got a few holes in the floor welded back up, and the gapping hole in the dash solid again. The dash and exposed interior have been painted (did that before we started posting so we're playing catch up on the build thread). I'll post some of those pictures sometime this week as time permits. Unfortunately I've have to be a responsible adult and insist that homework comes before the truck. I can't believe those words came out of my mouth. My mom and dad were right after all.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2011, 08:55 PM   #22
dcmalone

Got the back half of the cab insulated, carpeted, and got the tank back in until I relocate one under bed or in bed. I'll take some pictures in the daylight tomorrow and get them posted.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:03 PM   #23
dcmalone

Cab interior pics. As a reminder the first is when I bought it.

Name:  DSC_0476.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  42.6 KB

Name:  DSC_0772.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  39.9 KB

Name:  DSC_0776.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  38.2 KB
Old 10-11-2011, 08:06 PM   #24
LDO

Malone,
is that one piece or mats (with the moon logo). And could you tell where you acquired it?

Looks great!
LDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:06 PM   #25
dcmalone

Forgot the insulation picture.

Name:  DSC_0769.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  51.9 KB