The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2011, 02:04 AM   #1
cr34t3d_by_d4rkd3n
Account Suspended

Thumbs down spare tire berings, blinker fluid, windshield grease, left handed steering wheels

Has any one else noticed the sudden surge of noob questions? Does not everyone know a 350 has a cam. Not cams. And its not inside the valvecovers! Geez people does no one teach this n school ne more?? Seems like ifbit dont have a touch screen or obd2 port...ugghhh open a book people! Google, search this forum, same dumb questioans over and over
Posted via Mobile Device
cr34t3d_by_d4rkd3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
baclay9

Re: spare tire berings, blinker fluid, windshield grease, left handed steering wheels

Jesus...
baclay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
Goldfinger

Re: spare tire berings, blinker fluid, windshield grease, left handed steering wheels

most people get a laugh at the ones who actually take them seriously.

1999 k3500 crew cab dually 6.5tdi/4l80e
Goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:37 AM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

while i understand that to someone who is more seasoned with our vehicles or vehicles in general, everyone had to start somewhere. The way i see it is that the only dumb question is one that is not asked in sincerity..
I do , however agree with you that sometimes it pays to do a little research on your own before asking a question , but that is kind of a lost art these days

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:59 AM   #5
hatzie

If everyone just searched the archives our forum would be a database and not a community.
Some subjects seem to get beaten to death. Meh. It keeps this forum alive.
There may be shortcuts or gotchas that weren't written down in the original discussions.
The U.S. economic upheavals in recent years are affecting the web. Pictures and links dry up and get blown away by these winds of change. So we add new and hopefully better ones to the fresh discussions.

SO. Do ya know where can I find muffler bearings and a left handed crescent wrench to install em?...
Had to be done.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

This is the second "assy" post insulting other users from you. Please review the site rules before posting when your account is reinstated.
Thanks
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
SO. Do ya know where can I find muffler bearings and a left handed crescent wrench to install em?...
Had to be done.
You can find most of the good stuff at http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1.

Who else carries stuff like cross-drilled brake lines?

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:57 AM   #8
domeier

True: Everyone has to start somewhere - and this site is a tremendous place to start.

My dear old daddy taught me how to bust knuckles and swear at rusted bolts when I was four, but not all of us were so blessed. Imagine if your old man wasn't really a man, but one of those semi-dudes, whose entire concept of car care means choosing one particular brand of gas, or knowing AAA's phone number by heart?

The sons and daughters of those semi-men, they need our help - and it is our sworn automotive duty to do what we can when they ask us, "How much oil does my radiator hold?" and, "How do you glue a broken spark plug back together?"

It is your duty, car man, (and car lady,) it is your SWORN DUTY!

You must not snicker, nor even smile behind your hand when asked, "How many cylinders does a straight six have?"

Now straighten up and fly right, damnit! Be nice. Be gentle. Remember always: It's not their fault. Repeat the mantra: It's not their fault, it's not their fault. Even when they ask...

"How do you gap the points on a HEI distributor?"

It's not their fault. It's not their fault...
domeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
big_al_71

It is amazing how great that search button works in this forum I have found so many answers that I never had to ask in the forum. this week alone i have spent hours in the search area.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:44 PM   #10
68 SHORT-STEP'N
SLOW POKE

I always search this site to the fullist extent before I ask my question & then when I find the best suitable answers , or just a thread I may run across while surfing this great site , I will save those threads in a folder in my favorites even if I don't need them right now . That way , you have your own " search " database for future reference . NOW ! How do I cut this D@#M thing OFF ?!?! LOL

piece by piece ,
day by day ,
I will restore this truck ,
before the 100th anniversary !!!

68 SHORT-STEP'N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #11
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

We have never ever condoned telling folks Just use search. Why? 1. search sucks, plain and simple. It always has and is not looking like it will change. It gives very limited info. 2. How do you know the guy who reads that thread, doesnt have a new way to do something? or a new idea you had not thought of? If you told someone not to post and just use search, then that idea would stay hidden. 3. its frikin rude..

this is not aimed at any one user, just our take on try using search and all the variations of that reply
Old 09-24-2011, 07:25 PM   #12
Goldfinger

most of the time when a question is re-asked we all learn just that one bit more. As we go on many build a knowledge to help in the future.

1999 k3500 crew cab dually 6.5tdi/4l80e
Goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:45 PM   #13
powerdriver 1958
Kid's Mechanic

With this large of community a question should not go unanswered . Some of the best mechanic's , fab guys and body men make this place their Hang Out .

I would like to try something . If your part of this site see's a reoccurring question , Do a write up or an article . Then if it comes up again you can have a bookmarked link to toss out
powerdriver 1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:00 PM   #14
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I thought the title was funny...

I'm tired of threads complaining about other threads, but hey, that's just me

1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:04 PM   #15
jb1016
"Oh well, it's a driver."

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
If everyone just searched the archives our forum would be a database and not a community.
Well said, Hatzie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Petty
I don't know, but I've been told: You never slow down, you never grow old.
jb1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:55 PM   #16
dammitmitchell
the pollock

wow. instead of being a good mentor he has officially become a jerk.

the younger generation needs someone to guide them.. Did you learn all this yourself?
i sure as crap diddnt. i am very experienced in certain aspects of mechanics and i have caught myself reaching out with a "noob question" everyone i mean EVERYONE needs a mentor. Not a critic.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=343538
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=386042
dammitmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:22 PM   #17
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Personally I don't have a problem helping the uneducated or misinformed. What bugs me a lot is people who post using abbreviated words like they are texting, fail to punctuate, and don't bother to spellcheck before submitting.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:25 PM   #18
BMERDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Personally I don't have a problem helping the uneducated or misinformed. What bugs me a lot is people who post using abbreviated words like they are texting, fail to punctuate, and don't bother to spellcheck before submitting.
Amen Brother!!
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:44 PM   #19
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Ken I have been reading a pregnancy forum recently. The amount of posts like that drive me insane. You know I could care less how folks post most times.. we have discussed that before lol.. Seriously I can not read half the posts on that site. It gives me an instant headache.

Going to other sites makes me appreciate this one more each time.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:53 PM   #20
bradford

Quote:
OMG! IDKW ppl do tht.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:38 AM   #21
treveiger

Hey let me ask you something... When an how did YOU learn how to do things in life and how things work? Think about it for a sec(long pause for scratching your head), o that's right by magic, o wait maybe it was because someone else taught you... Same with every one else hense why we have brains(brains are used for learning an memory by the way). There was a time I bet you also didn't know even what a motor was or why the sun was bright.
People learn on this site, when I first started really working on motors I didn't even know really how a motor worked, but this summer i resealed my engine an took my drive train out an went through it an guess how I learned... By asking an learning from the pros, and even two years ago I didn't know what a cam was or a crank and now people are wanting me to rebuild motors for them an fix there cars. I have asked my fair share of stupid questions here an never had someone insult me or talk down to me, they just answered my questions an now I know. I've learned more from this site then I woulda ever learned in a class room or book.
People today don't work on there cars they just get them fixed so how or why would they know how it works or what's in it? They wouldn't so that's why they come here an ask so we can help not insult them. To anybody who has a question, doesn't matter what kind just please ask so you can get help from someone who knows what their doing an not screw something up or get it wrong. No gas motors won't work with diesel. No you cant fill your tires full of great stuff so you don't have to worry about checking the air. No you can't run your motor with the oil plug out to flush your motor an the same goes for the tranny(true story). All these questions may be simple to most but not all. I wanna thank this site an all the people that helped me become someone who can work on cars an with my hands and have the satisfaction of doing it myself. The truck still runs great by the way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2011, 08:41 AM   #22
richards72chevy

The future state of our hobby kind of relies on this in a way.They are going to save old vehicles.They may even buy parts from wrecking yards and new parts from the after market.Plus its just nice to help people out!
richards72chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #23
domeier

Quote:
Originally Posted by richards72chevy View Post
The future state of our hobby kind of relies on this in a way.
I used to be a small airplane guy back when I had some money, and that community was very similar to this one - with one exception: It's now DEAD AND GONE FOREVER. 9-11 and the Great Depression of 2008 were the final nails in the coffin, but general aviation was dying even before those events. It had become too expensive, too over-regulated, and too exclusive for youngsters to get involved, and about the only people left flying light aircraft in the US today are all over 60.

The knowledge base necessary to maintain certain old planes like the Navion I used to fly, is disappearing as the last of the old timers die off. The Navion was the 67-72 Chevy truck of the sky, but it will soon enough be gone as no one will be left alive who remembers all the little quirks of wrenching those beasts. As it is with our trucks, you can't just pop in to the Gulfstream dealer and expect to find a mechanic who knows - or would even be willing to try and learn - how to wrench a 60 year-old plane. It ain't worth their time, and their liability insurance won't cover them. A community of owners sharing data was necessary, but now it's about gone.

It's too bad, but it is what it is. These old trucks though - because it doesn't cost $30k to get a drivers license, and because of the community that exists on this site - stand a pretty decent chance to survive until... I don't know - until the last drop of liquid dinosaur is pumped out of the ground?

Boats too; you can still have a pretty good time owning a boat without the feds squirming into your underwear and without going flat broke buying an FAA 'certified' $50 lawn tractor battery for $300...

Anyway, new blood is essential for keeping these trucks alive. There's no new blood in American sport flying, and it is dying as a result. Teenagers and "newbies" - anyone showing an interest in these old girls must be welcomed with open arms. And if they're interested in learning the holy language of ICPE, so much the better.

I applaud the owners of the site for refusing to tolerate even minor rudeness regarding technical questions. The site is awesome just for its sheer magnitude of tech data, but it's even better for the civility practiced by pretty much all the members. Exclusivity and/or condescension turns people off. Don't want to do that.
domeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #24
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitmitchell View Post
wow. instead of being a good mentor he has officially become a jerk.

the younger generation needs someone to guide them.. Did you learn all this yourself?
i sure as crap diddnt. i am very experienced in certain aspects of mechanics and i have caught myself reaching out with a "noob question" everyone i mean EVERYONE needs a mentor. Not a critic.
Its not just the "younger" generation either darlin. Im in the "over the hill" gang and I am either on here constantly, or calling my SON to ask questions. My take on the posters thread is this. If you dont like the "noobs" or the inexperienced truck owners dumb questions, pass baby. Let someone better equipped answer them.

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4
GMCjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #25
treveiger

^^^ exactly
Posted via Mobile Device