The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-26-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
jdheff1982

Interior question

Currently, my 85 Silverado has no headliner which I plan on fixing soon. How can I tell if the truck originally came with a headliner or not?

Thanks.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
sumran

Re: Interior question

If it came with one there will be lots of holes from the sheet metal screws. The factory liners are held in place with trim pieces that are screwed in.

Never brake in the learning curve!

1984 GMC Sierra project truck http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446737
sumran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
jdheff1982

Ok, that answers my question then. Mine did not come with a factory liner.

Thanks.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
RastaRobb

Neither did my '84 3/4 ton, but I am thinking about putting one in. Is there anything you have to watch out for?
RastaRobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
tucsonjwt

A factory appearance will require all of the trim pieces to support the headliner. I have noticed that some online upholstery suppliers let you specify if your truck was originally equipped with headliner. You might want to check with them to see if you can get by without all of the trim pieces.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:50 PM   #6
Blake_H

My '87 Scottsdale did not come with a headliner and I wanted one. So I watched the wrecking yards and eBay and finally found someone selling a complete trim set and got it. Then I got a good, original headliner board out of the wrecking yard, bought some material and glued in on with DAP headliner glue sprayed out of a gun. Had to buy a gallon of the stuff but it has held up really well this summer. I used the dome light, A pillars and sun visors to hold the headliner in and then held up each trim piece and drilled the holes. I then used screws I picked up on various trips to the yard to put mine in with. The headliner, in my opinion, made the truck just a bit quieter and more pleasant to ride in.
Blake_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #7
76stepsidechevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake_H View Post
My '87 Scottsdale did not come with a headliner and I wanted one. So I watched the wrecking yards and eBay and finally found someone selling a complete trim set and got it. Then I got a good, original headliner board out of the wrecking yard, bought some material and glued in on with DAP headliner glue sprayed out of a gun. Had to buy a gallon of the stuff but it has held up really well this summer. I used the dome light, A pillars and sun visors to hold the headliner in and then held up each trim piece and drilled the holes. I then used screws I picked up on various trips to the yard to put mine in with. The headliner, in my opinion, made the truck just a bit quieter and more pleasant to ride in.
I did the same thing but skipped the headliner board since carpet had already been glued to the roof and back wall sometime in the 70s it was shag lol... I replaced the rotted old stinky carpet with some new automotive carpet like you would cover speaker boxes in and added all the trim pieces and it came out quite well.
76stepsidechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:36 PM   #8
sumran

The trim pieces are available from LMC and Classic. I had to get some parts from both to get a complete set. Some of the parts are metal and some are plastic. If you can find the metal ones in a salvage yard you could save some money. In Florida, the plastic parts are a wee bit dry on trucks this old.

1984 GMC Sierra project truck http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446737
Old 09-26-2011, 09:44 PM   #9
jdheff1982

The interior is my next thing on my truck. It currently has red trim. I want black everything on the inside (minus the bottom half of the dash which I want pearl white.)

According LMC, their headliner kits come with all the needed trim and hardware for the install.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:00 PM   #10
sumran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdheff1982 View Post
The interior is my next thing on my truck. It currently has red trim. I want black everything on the inside (minus the bottom half of the dash which I want pearl white.)

According LMC, their headliner kits come with all the needed trim and hardware for the install.
You may want to call LMC before you order. I don't think the kits are the same as the factory liner. That doesn't mean they are bad, just different. I started out planning to order the kit but after talking with them I went the factory route.