The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #1
triggerthetruck

Chevy C10 4x4 suspension question...

Hi there...I have a chevy C10 with solid axles front and rear...and the suspension is killing me and my truck is falling apart...the roads here in England are pretty full of pot holes...can anyone tell me about airbag suspension kits please? I dont want to raise or lower..just the normal ride height. What is the best kit, on a budget, to give me a smooth ride. Here we have a kit that bolts to the frame and the axle, springs retained...or there are kits to remove the springs which require steel work to take their place...and then air bags of course....I just want a smooth ride!! Many thanks.
triggerthetruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
Your41Plague12

Re: Chevy C10 4x4 suspension question...

Personally I'd get a set of leaf springs and good shocks. Spring shops can custom make you leaf springs that will ride nicely. The shocks also have a huge bearing on how well it rides. Also make sure, if you do go with new springs, don't use an impact gun on the bolts that hold the springs on. Sometimes this will make them ride like crap if the bolts are over-tightened. Go with some good bushings, too. That's my suggestion. I've never really messed with air bags, but I know you can make a leaf-sprung truck ride OK with some of these precautions.
Bushwacker Cutouts, 38x15.50 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws,
350 HP 350 crate engine from Jegs, Turbo 400
Your41Plague12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
triggerthetruck

Thanks for that...I have been mulling over the state of the springs...and I have had at least four or five sets of shocks on the front in four years of ownership so somethings not right. Being in England, spares are difficult to get...without a two week wait for shipping from the US and theres never a choice. We do have spring makers though! My basic problem is I'm 6'-5" with not much spare room to move in the cab...and if I'm driving even just a couple of hours, the suspension tears up my recent hernia operation...which isnt funny.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:31 AM   #4
andrewmp6

Btw its a k10 c means 2wd k means 4x4.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:01 AM   #5
triggerthetruck

Hmm well thanks, I had thought the K was to do with the engine and the C...well I had no idea....in any event, its got four wheels and drives through each...and I have this problem with solid axles and desperately rough suspension. If you can help with a fix I would be very grateful.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:04 AM   #6
Your41Plague12

Could go with a coil setup and a 4 link. A basic search on here will turn up tons of threads. Also make sure to check Pirate4x4.com. They make rock crawlers with crazy suspension travel and flex using coil springs and high-end shocks. Definitely a cool setup and in my opinion, it's safer than bags.
Bushwacker Cutouts, 38x15.50 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws,
350 HP 350 crate engine from Jegs, Turbo 400
Your41Plague12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:12 AM   #7
andrewmp6

There is a coil over kit for the front but its not cheap at all http://offroadltd.com/mm5/merchant.m...ct_Code=ORLK6C
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote