The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
qksilver

swapping a metal bed floor(68) into a 66 wood bed

Saw something a few years back in a off road mag. Guy had a original 65 lwb 4x4 that had a 67-72 metal bed floor.

i bought a 66 swb truck last night , will pick it up Thursday, pix then. The bed etc are in good shape except for no wood and the wheel housings. I decided to spend no money if possible, very easy to do as i don't have any. I have a fairly solid swb metal floor with some rust in the corners but fairly solid everywhere else.

Has anybody done this swap. I measured everything and it looks like it will work, the front bed panel flange will have to be raised or maybe use a 67-72 metal front bed panel.

I work alone and have some limitations, so i don't want to take it all apart if it doesn't work. Other wise I will just lay some marine plywood down. There is no wood what so ever but eveything else is there and good shape.

Thanks,
Steve
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
sigshooter

Re: swapping a metal bed floor(68) into a 66 wood bed

I did this on a long stepside after a very good friend promised me it was a direct fit. I cut a long wide 72 bed down to fit the stepside did all the paint work and set it on the frame. Guess what the holes did not line up. they were close but will require drilling new holes. Check it very closely, I learned that they were about a hole size off. I wrestled that bed around for hours. Decided to just cut the frame and shortbed the truck ( with a wood floor )
sigshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
qksilver

Thanks, both of them are fleet side, it looked close but did exactly measure up.

Steve
Old 10-02-2011, 09:53 PM   #4
chad64chevy

hey qksilver, i have a 64' with a steel floor from a 70'! anyways i have done what you are wanting to do! the front bed panels from the 67-72 will not work on the 60-66 beds, because they curve in at the top and are shaped a lil different! the only problem i had was the rear cross sill i had to trim it and trim it and trim til it was going to fit with the back pillar! i'm trying to remember i did mine last summer, when you put the 66' front bed panel on the 68' floor the bed panel will hang down like 1/2in. give or take! if your front bed panel holes are good then just run some longer bolts in them or you can get some angle iron and drill holes in it so it will pull the outside in and hold it! no one will see it anyways unless you till them, some of the holes in the bedsides and thru the steel floor you might have to make bigger! make sure its square or you will have problems with the tailgate not being flush and square! mine i have to do some more adjusting but mine truck not on the road yet anyways! dont weld it up unless you have it all square and the tailgate works fine and everything looks good! if you have any more question just ask and ill try and help! good luck!!
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:17 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Member 62shortstep put a steel floor in his '62 fleetside a while back. I believe there should be some pics in his build thread.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
qksilver

Thanks guys, I am getting old so thoughts come and go. I figured somebody on the board gave it a shot and they did.

Once I get it home, Thursday I am going to drive it a month or so then do this metal floor.
Steve
Old 10-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #7
62 short step

Here is mine.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=376942

1965 c-10
86 chevy c/k 20
62 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #8
qksilver