The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
c10hevy

292 and T5 time!

After doing compression testing I found out that the first 3 cylinders are burning oil. Instead of rebuilding it I thought I would just put a 292 in. And hell, while I'm at it I'm gonna put that 3 on the tree linkage to rest permanently.
I've done my research and know which type of t5 to buy and the relocated motor mounts for the 292 but does Anybody have any advice that can save me time/money?
I'm going to try to stay under a grand and do a budget build write up. Going to get started as soon as I get an adress on the 292 I found on craigslist.
Any leads on parts in north Carolina would also be much appreciated
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
c10hevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
jocko

Re: 292 and T5 time!

this might be useful if you grab an S10 T5, not required for a Camaro T5. I found this little gem after I did my build thread, probably would have saved me some time! Just postin in case you need it.
http://vintagemetalworks.blogspot.co...ter-plate.html Very friendly and helpful guy selling these - recommend give him a call if you find you need something like this.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
c10hevy

Thanks for the reply,
do you think that is better than the Frankenstein version? a Camaro t-5 with s-10 back housing? or would the additional strength of a world class be unnecessary for my inline 6?
Old 10-02-2011, 10:56 PM   #4
jocko

If you have a Camaro main case with S10 tail housing, that is the best of both worlds (assuming the camaro T5 is a WC). Relatively few S10s were WC, so if you have a Camaro T5 with S10 tail housing - count your blessings - no adapter is needed between the bell and the trans. If you DO need the adapter because it is an S10 T5 MAIN CASE - then the above one would work - BUT, I would call the gent and ask a few questions about your setup - I think the ad said something about bell housings up to 62, but I don't believe there are any dimension changes between 62 and earlier - and 63 and later - just the dropping of the slave cyl (in Chevs, anyway - I think GMC kept em another year into 63, but not positive).

In this guy's part, the index ring is milled into (both male and female) a single part - so, yes, if it fits in your application - then, yes, this is preferable to the frankentrans method. But again, definitely call the guy and tell him what your setup is, he will definitely be straight up with you. In fact, he called me and offered to send me one (when he thought I was still looking for one) and said if it didn't fit, I could send it back. Sounded like a great guy. Again - recommend you chat with him on your specifics - IF You need an adapter at all.

EDIT - sorry, missed part of your question - For your 6 cyl, as long as you aren't dropping the clutch to do burnouts, or towing much - a NON-WC T5 should be just fine. WC is better if you can find it - but I (personally) would not hesitate to put a well-kept or rebuilt S10 non-WC T5 behind a 6 cyl.

AGAIN, if you find a Camaro WC T5 with S10 tailshaft housing, etc - jump on it - even if it costs more, keep in mind you won't be popping for a spacer now in this case, so evern if it's about $120 more than the S10 trans - you'd break even!

My Frankenstein approach was just to keep costs down - and mainly because I didn't have the exact dimensions - so I had the shop do part and I drilled more holes for the mounting later - was cheap, and effective, but I'd still have preferred to buy a complete one piece plate that I KNEW had the exact dimensions built in. All worked out either way - If I did it over again, I might go the 1-piece Vintage Metal works route if I spoke with the owner again and confirmed that it would work for my setup.

EDIT #2 - do note that if you get a Camaro T5 main case - you must then get a camaro clutch/pp kit (different spline count, etc) - Astro van approach won't work.

Last edited by jocko; 10-02-2011 at 11:03 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:11 PM   #5
c10hevy

Great advice, Ill be sure to call him in the morning to figure out how i want to do this. Ill prolly be rolling around the local yard and see what kind of availability I have to work with.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:26 AM   #6
DLOE65

I will be running a 200r4 with my 292 inline.
Attached Images

DLOE65 is offline   Reply With Quote