The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #1
Miller92

How hard is it to change the interior color?

My interior blue and I wanna go silver and black, any idea how hard and/or expensive it'd be to change everything?
Miller92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:45 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: How hard is it to change the interior color?

black should be the easiest color to dye things... its dark.. the silver im assuming that youll be swapping the dash trim and door panel trim out... if you can find good donors its real easy

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:24 AM   #3
DREAMER1

Thought about doing it to mine also. The way I had it figured it would be fairly expensive. Then again I wanted to do it "right". My interior is red right now, and the PO started swapping it into blue. Well I want a white and black interior. I'm gonna eventually re-do my dash, seats, door panels anyways. Might as well do em the color of my choice, right. But I figured I'd pull EVERYTHING out, including the glass and paint it all white. Then go back in with the refurbished dash, seats, etc. I don't kno what it would cost, but on a good day I'd say $2500. But that's just a quick guesstimate
Posted via Mobile Device
DREAMER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:56 AM   #4
monte0185

Im in the middle of doing mine right now. So far I bought the duplicolor vinyl and fabrick dye and have done my dash panel and sun visors and they have come out great. Im redoing my red and maroon interior in black by the way. The previous owner had spray painted all the door panels and plastics in the truck so im cleaning them with laquer thinner real good getting any old paint off and then spraying them. So far so good and ive got about 25$ in 3 cans so far. One of my door panels had a hole in it so i found a set of used ones fairly cheap and will be redoing those shortly too. Seat is whats gonna cost the money on my end cause I want it refoamed for a custom look and probably going with leather. Hope this helps some.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
monte0185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

Only expensive thing will be the fabrics ie. seats, headliner and carpet. the rest is just a matter of taking everything to be painted out, painting it and putting it back together
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:28 PM   #6
Miller92

Thanks guys, that does help alot. I wanna get a new headliner and seat but I was thinking bout ripping the carpet and putting the roll-on bedliner in the cab instead of the carpet. It'll be a pain in the butt but I'm always muddy and I'd hate to replace the carpet just to get it all dirty and stained.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:03 AM   #7
coolbreeze_817

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 Chevyrado View Post
Only expensive thing will be the fabrics ie. seats, headliner and carpet. the rest is just a matter of taking everything to be painted out, painting it and putting it back together
I ultimately wanna change my interior (hopefully before next summer) from blue to white & black, white leather seats with black accents but the thing is that I just bought her and the seat and headliner are new. Wonder if I could get sell off that headliner?
coolbreeze_817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:38 AM   #8
Miller92

Ok I've got the Vinyl paint and everything, now I'm stuck... What about the metal part of the dash itself? Anybody have any tricks for that or do I gotta tape everything off and sand it down and everything?
Old 10-11-2011, 04:42 AM   #9
juiceman650

The PO of my truck decided to spray paint all the trim pieces and both door panels of my truck black. So of course they started to chip and fade. I pulled everything out, removed all the old paint down to the original color, sprayed em with primer, then gloss black, then a gloss clear. Came out pretty good. The only things that didn't come out nicest were the first "test" pieces I tried it on. Will have to respray those soon.
Posted via Mobile Device
aka "The Beast" aka "Cheyerado"
juiceman650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #10
83chevyman

i painted mine with rustolum spray paint flat black
83chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:34 PM   #11
iceship

Post pic.s
iceship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:54 AM   #12
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller92 View Post
Anybody have any tricks for that or do I gotta tape everything off and sand it down and everything?
Sand it down, mask off what you don't want painted and go for it.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote