The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2011, 09:45 AM   #1
Divine 59

Wiring diagram for 59 factory turn signals

Hey everyone, this is my first post so be nice...

I am putting my truck back together (very slowly) and acquired a factory turn signal set up. Unfortunately I don't have any information on how to wire it into my new wiring harness. Does it route inside the steering column tube? I don't seem to have any leads from my harness to plug into. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Divine 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: Wiring diagram for 59 factory turn signals

The factory wiring diagrams I have seen for 55-59 trucks do not show turn signal wiring. I will look at the Factory Assy Manual tonight and see if it was an RPO. I know I have seen what looked like a factory set up. An auto wiring diagram for the same period would give you some information. I ran an after market switch and just routed the wires in a loom under the column with electrical tape (looks was not a consideration) and spliced into the parking light and stop light circuits. I can envision a small metal half oval channel on the bottom of the column with screw attachment or there might be room inside the column tube but getting it secured so it did not rub on the inside shaft could be a challenge if you did not dissassemble it.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
Coupeguy2001

Turn signals were a $35 option. Factory turn signals have their own stand alone harnesses.
Any of the truck parts suppliers, Brothers, Grumpy's, The truck shop, Ecklers, etc. can sell you the turn signal harnesses. There are three of them. One is under the dash, and another is under the hood. Usually they use the dark blue and light blue wires and a black. I can't remember if the tan wire is used as well, but under the hood about 6-10 inches forward of the firewall, there is a plug on the inner fender panel that is clipped to the headlight wires harness that support the turnsignals.
To add the right tail light for turn signals requires the third harness.
In addition, the parking lights that came on trucks without turn signals only had one wire.
The turn signal trucks have 2 wires on the parking light and grounds to the fender.
In adddition, the sockets have the little bulb bayonett grooves equal length on non turn signal trucks and unequal length on turn signal trucks, and I think the bulbs are something like 893(memory is sketchy) for non turn signals and 1357 fpr turn signals.

Last edited by Coupeguy2001; 10-06-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
Divine 59

Thanks. I'll check the vendors you mentioned and get what I need. It sounds as though I will need the under dash and under hood portions of the harness. The replacement harness I purchased does not have the turn signal harness as far as I can tell. I hope the vendors have some wiring diagrams included with the harnesses.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
OrrieG

I love this site, CoupeGuy confirmed what I assumed.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #6
Coupeguy2001

and yes it goes inside the steering column tube. fish it out the bottom slot just below the dash and add the plastic connector.
If you need the factory wire cover, I have one for $18 shipped. Since I just subframed my truck, I have a bunch of stuff left over.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
Divine 59

Are you referring to the small cover on the steering column tube? I'm not sure what you are referring to.....
Old 10-08-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
Coupeguy2001

yes
Old 03-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #9
Gator Alum

Reviving from the dead...
Just went through my cluster and put new bulbs in, checked gauge function and new speedo cable. Now all of a sudden, no turn signals at all. Not on cluster or truck... My brake lights are acting up as well. Sometimes on, sometimes not, sometimes left, sometimes right.
After reading this thread, I'm wondering if I managed to knock something loose. There is limited documentation for the factory turn signal wiring...

Any thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device
Gator Alum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #10
Russell Ashley

Coupeguy covered it well. Here's a wiring diagram for factory turn signals. You probably already have two tail lights with dual filaments but will need new front parking lights that use a dual filament bulb.
Attached Images

Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #11
Gator Alum

Russell- Thanks for the diagram, that will definitely help me track it all down. The truck is already wired for the turn signals front and back (they used to work without an issue). Time to grab a voltmeter and a beer...
Gator Alum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #12
Daze57

(2 beers)
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote