The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2011, 10:48 PM   #1
sinnersahuayo
Account Suspended

help

i took out my trans with 10 spline 4 manual spd. i need to find what tran do i have so i coud get a new clutch with 32 spline the id # on the case is 13-04-066-903 and wd 1287 . there also a blank spot that hase # also 28L163136.
sinnersahuayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:19 AM   #2
NorthstarGMC

Re: help

The number you list comes up as a Borg Warner T-10. Does it have a cast case or an aluminum case? They are pretty valuable and nice trannys.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
sinnersahuayo
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthstarGMC View Post
The number you list comes up as a Borg Warner T-10. Does it have a cast case or an aluminum case? They are pretty valuable and nice trannys.
i dont know the different i think cast case but here are some pic of both new and old one. tryed load pic but did work here is a linkhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/67498330@N08/6224136500/
Old 10-13-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
T Smith

I believe you should count those input splines again, should be 26 not 32?
T Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:30 AM   #5
sinnersahuayo
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Smith View Post
I believe you should count those input splines again, should be 26 not 32?
your right on the splines i have problem with the shift linkage i just did the swap to the new. i cant put in gear or move it. is that normal or wait until in the truck.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:25 AM   #6
T Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnersahuayo View Post
your right on the splines i have problem with the shift linkage i just did the swap to the new. i cant put in gear or move it. is that normal or wait until in the truck.
No, that's not normal, you should be able to shift through the gears with it on the bench, and I wouldn't put it in until I could.

From what I see in the pictures one of those transmissions is a Borg Warner T10 and the other is a Muncie. I'm pretty sure the linkage isn't going to swap from one to the other, the shifter itself may swap with proper bracketry and linkage rods.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:41 AM   #7
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Before dealing with the shifter, I would suggest installing the shift arms (only) on the transmission, and make sure all three levers are in neutral. Confirm the main shaft rotates freely, then shift into each gear one at a time (including reverse) and verify all gears are functioning properly. If this doesn't work, pull the side cover and start looking for problems. As T Smith indicated the shifter head itself can probably be made to work, but you'll need rods and a mounting bracket for the specific transmission. If the shifter is a factory unit, finding the correct pieces for the other transmission may be somewhat difficult, and you may end up needing a different (or aftermarket) shifter.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:44 AM   #8
sinnersahuayo
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
Before dealing with the shifter, I would suggest installing the shift arms (only) on the transmission, and make sure all three levers are in neutral. Confirm the main shaft rotates freely, then shift into each gear one at a time (including reverse) and verify all gears are functioning properly. If this doesn't work, pull the side cover and start looking for problems. As T Smith indicated the shifter head itself can probably be made to work, but you'll need rods and a mounting bracket for the specific transmission. If the shifter is a factory unit, finding the correct pieces for the other transmission may be somewhat difficult, and you may end up needing a different (or aftermarket) shifter.
i have put hte trans in neutal and the input and output shaft move . the tran would not shift in any gear.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #9
T Smith

Quote:
i have put hte trans in neutal and the input and output shaft move . the tran would not shift in any gear.
If it won't shift like markeb01 is suggesting then you have a problem, I'd CAREFULLY remove the side cover and see what's going on in there.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #10
sinnersahuayo
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Smith View Post
If it won't shift like markeb01 is suggesting then you have a problem, I'd CAREFULLY remove the side cover and see what's going on in there.
i take off the linkage and the shaft spin freely when i put all the linkage it does not. on the opening the case what should i be looking for.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:11 AM   #11
NorthstarGMC

Quote:
Even in neutral it will spin the output shaft. Hold the output shaft and turn the input shaft. If the input shaft spins but the output shaft stays still in your hand then you know it's in neutral.