The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
TRC911

About to fall-tank straps gone!

Hey guys, I looked on google and the search bar and couldn't find any related topics

I noticed that my 84 custom deluxes gas tank has been hanging really low. I decided to drop the plastic cover and was shocked at what I have found

I just pulled the plastic cover off, I didn't even need to turn a wrench. The straps appear to be totally gone.

I was wondering if anybody has had the same issue as this? It is a first for me, I believe I will have to remove the bed right?

The truck is from Ottawa canada, and was brought to the states in the late 90s. Hence the rust.

I am at a loss, and have a tight budget so any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated-

Last edited by TRC911; 10-09-2011 at 01:14 PM.
TRC911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
TRC911

Re: About to fall-tank straps gone!

bump
this is the daily driver
Old 10-09-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
Kurt L

don't have that problem here in fl. wish i could help ya but can't maybe someone will chime in.
Kurt L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
76stepsidechevy

No need to pull the bed. the brackets that hold the straps can be unbolted from the inside of the frame fairly easily. I just had my tank out yesterday to find out why my truck keeps stalling and wiping out electric fuel pumps. I wanted to see how bad the inside of the tank was assuming it was full of crap, found a couple hoses rubbed through and a clean tank. Then I came out this morning to a puddle under the truck, looks like messing with the tank caused it to let go at the seam and now I need a tank... parts stores can get the metal tank for about 120 bucks or jcwhitney has a plastic one for 170. Straps are available localy too.
76stepsidechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
SS Delux

Great looking truck, I am from ontario and had the exact problem. I looked in the used parts section and found a pair from california. KrazyRay is the guy that I got mine from, I think it cost me about 60 bucks right to my doorstep (purchase price included). Painted em up, threw in a 40 dollar good used tank and now my dd is ready to go again.
Maybe try a local pick n pull as well.
SS Delux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

you can get the straps for like $20 at advanced auto parts. You will need to drill out the rivets on the old tank mounts and bolt in the new straps. Your tank mounts are kinda rotted. You may wanna see if you can get new mounts from one of the guys parting a truck on here and add the new straps..

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:28 PM   #7
TRC911

Yeah, the mounts are soft, I can flex it, I just noticed it hanging after I filled it up.
I can't post in the parts forum yet
Old 10-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
hatzie

Salvaged trucks shouldn't be too rusty around louisville or bowling green.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #9
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

you can certainally reply to an ad in the classifieds. As a non subscriber you cannot post your own ad there. Please PM myself or any other staff member if you need assistance with the site

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote