The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2011, 04:11 PM   #1
ryans69chevy

Trying to restore

I have a 49 chevy 3100, I'm going to go look for a few parts for it. I'm wondering if the hoods from the 3800 as well as the rear ends would work on a 3100. I'm also wondering if they have different gear ratios available to be put in a rear end from this era of trucks. I was thinking of a ratio that has good highway and city somewhere around a 3:08.

Thank you
ryans69chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
lazypineapple

Re: Trying to restore

did ya look around Stovebolt.com ?
alot of good info there,
alot of resto work.
lazypineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
T Hilde

Hood, yes. Rear axle, no. Find a camaro axle or if you are hot on keeping 6 lugs a 69 C10 axle.
T Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #4
ryans69chevy

I have checked Stovebolt out awhile ago, but it wasn't for this reason. I'll have to give them another look.

Okay, so the axle won't fit at all? Or it will fit, but nobody makes ring and pinion gears to fit these?
Old 10-10-2011, 10:23 PM   #5
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryans69chevy View Post
.... nobody makes ring and pinion gears to fit these?
OF COURSE THEY DO!!

You came to the right place...well, for a link anyway:

http://www.patricksantiquecars.com/products.html

3.38:1 and 3.55:1 ring and pinion sets...and a lot of other cool stuff too.

Make sure you post what you do later, ok?
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #6
ryans69chevy

That is awesome! So I will prob just keep my rear end the same. I'm not sure if there is a kit out there to convert to disc brakes or not or if it's even worth doing. I might just keep it drums. I'm not doing anything too modern on it for performance wise anyway.

Thanks for the link!

Pretty soon when I start really digging into the truck and working on it, I will prob just make a "build" thread so I'll share everything I do in there.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:41 PM   #7
lazypineapple

Are you gonna use the original diff?
Posted via Mobile Device
lazypineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #8
Root2812

Ryan, I'm glad to see another resto on here. I am doing a 1950 3100. You can get a disk brake upgrade for the front but not the rear. Or atleast I haven't found one yet. If you are increaseing the speed with a gear set I'd upgrade the front brakes so you can stop safely. You only need the front disks anyway since that is the majority of your braking force, infact most modern trucks are still disc front drum rear. If you want to ditch the torque tube then the options are endless. I am keeping my torque tube to keep the originality so the only option is the 3.55 ring and pinion from Patricks. You can get it else where but they buy it from Patrick's too so just skip the middle man. He also sells the speedo gear to make the speedo correct.

You should start your build thread. You can show us some pictures and let us all know your plan.

Are you keeping the 216? or going with something else? 3 on the tree or SM420 4 speed?

There are a few of us doing restorations on here but the majority of guys on this site are modding their trucks. I am learning as I go and I also jsut started on my truck so we are in a similar position. I do get alot of info from stovebolt.
Root2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #9
ryans69chevy

Nice! And HEY your only in St. Paul! I will hopefully bring this thing to "Back to the fifties" when it's done! Yeah, I'll have to start the thread in a few weeks I'm sure. I actually have the cab, box, and fenders off the frame right now. So the frame only has the original 216 and steering column with the tranny and drivetrain.

I actually have a 235 for it along with the 4 speed tranny that all came out of a '62 Chevy. I want to keep it pretty much the same, but I switched to a 235 from a more modern vehicle, because it won't take as much maintenance as the original 216.

I'm not really sure what the torque tube is lol or if I'm gonna keep it or toss it. I'm thinking I'll keep it on there since I'm hopefully not gonna switch rear ends.

What are you running?
Old 10-11-2011, 08:28 PM   #10
Root2812

I'm sticking with the original 216 and 4 speed.

A torque tube is similar to a drive shaft but the shaft is inclosed inside a tube. On later vehicles the drive shaft is open and you can see it spin. If you look at yours you will see what I mean. Many people ditch it because of maintanence and rear end gearing choices. I am keeping mine just because I don't want to change anything if I can help it.

The 235 is a great choice. I will put one in if my 216 ever bites the dust and can't be fixed. I personally like my stuff original because its like a time capsule and art at the same time other wise I'd probably go with the 235 too. I may be wrong but will your 1962 trans bolt up to the torque tube? I don't know.

Sounds like you are farther along then I am if you already have the body off the frame. I have only started on some interior parts because I had to leave the state for a few months. I hope to take mine to back to the 50's next year if its road worthy.
Root2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:51 PM   #11
mr48chev

Back about 30 years ago I put a 56 1/2 ton 235, trans and rear end in a freind's 53 half ton that has all the appearances of being stone stock from the outside. That will work if you want to keep six lug wheels and go to an open driveline. If was running the stock column shifter I'd go to a full syncro later (70's) three speed like I have in the 48. Very smooth driving transmission that doesn't cost an arm and a leg or require extensive modifications. It should bolt right up to the stock bellhousing.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote