The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2011, 12:25 AM   #1
tidos76

clear side markers

So i have seen a few thread asking about the clear side markers for the early 73-77? ish pickups. I know lmc has the clear/amber ones, and they use to sell solid clear ones.

Anyways. When i did the restoration of my truck none of these were available so this is how what i have been using for about 5yrs now.

Basically you pull off the chrome bezel and cut out the amber reflector portion of your original side marker. go to lowes/HD and get a covering for a florescent light fixture. you can either use the diamond portion or on the side is just lines (what i have used).

Cut it to fit snuggly inside the outer trim of amber you left on. It takes 2 layers to make it look right and disperse the light better. I put a small ammount of silicone around the edges to home them in place and to seal it up. once these are in place I epoxy the chrome trim back in place.

Sorry i dont have more pictures but i started with some markers that were already done. I was just converting them to a switchback style led board that i have made.

note: after about a year they will turn slightly yellow, (my truck being yellow i didnt care). but for a little time and $25 you can always make another set.

Video of switchback leds and clear turns

let me know what ya think.
tidos76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:55 AM   #2
54Caddy
GM Addicted

Re: clear side markers

nice leds man, still work with turn signals??

My 73 GMC Truck Build Pic
2010 Silverado 4/6 on 24s

IG:MacsGarage
54Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
tidos76

yes they will. They will be white as a Parking/DRL type light. when you turn the blinker on it will alternate between white and amber. I'm going to do the front turn signal the same way and they will opposite alternate lol if that makes sense.

I know their not exactly legal........but oh well neither is 90% of my truck lol. Luckily its a sunday driver.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:18 PM   #4
54Caddy
GM Addicted

very clean man, yeah the stock ones alternate from the front signals to the side markers. Any way to make them all amber but with the signals on a certain amount get brighter?

My 73 GMC Truck Build Pic
2010 Silverado 4/6 on 24s

IG:MacsGarage
54Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:17 AM   #5
tidos76

yes you can. there are actually 2 ways of doing it. Either creating 2 circuits for dimm/bright one with a larger resistance for the dimm. or run 2 circuits with the bright portion just having more leds. for instance 6 led on for dim and 15 on for bright.

here is the side marker on the truck. I still have some minor finish work to do to it, and then get the leds made for the front markers.
The way i have them set up for now is:
headlights off no marker
headlights off + turn signal= flashing amber only
headlights on = solid white
headlights on + turn signal = alternating white/amber

you can def see the difference in the led and the original bulb in this video.
link to video