The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
Joe Blaze

Hard top hits weatherstrip on windshield frame

I got back from my trip to jersey over the weekend to pick up a hard top. I got it from an excellent brother on this site, Harry - AKA 6t727t2 and I had a question about mounting it. When i slide it as far forward as i can, it hits the thick rubber weatherstrip at the top corner of the windshield frame. If i left it up against it, there would be a gap in the front over the windshield frame where i would get water in under speed. I had no other option than to slice the top corners of the weatherstripping off on each side. Now the hard top slides far enough forward that a thin bead of silicone should take care of the front for the winter. my question is what do i do to seal the area where i removed the thick rubber? is that a common problem you brothers run into when fitting the hard top?

Thanks
joe

Here is the piece i cut off:

Here is the gap left:

I also picked up a couple of bucket seats to replace my mashed up junk that is there now. I recommend 6t727t2 for any parts you might need. He is an honorable brother and a pleasure to talk to.
Joe Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
NW_Ryker

Re: Hard top hits weatherstrip on windshield frame

Can you take a picture of the front. On mine there is a bit of an overhang on the front but there isn't any leaks.
NW_Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
cleszkie

The same thing happens when I put my top back on. But you don't need to remove the weatherstripping. Its supposed to be a tight fit. Use the two inner windshield mounting brackets to pull the top towards the windshield frame as you tighten the bolts. This will compress the thick weatherstripping more effectively than you just pushing on the top, and will allow you to insert the two mounting bolts through the outer sun visor bracket holes. If you still cannot get it to fit, your winshield frame may be pushed back a tad. But if your upper door frames line up with it when closed, then it is probably OK.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:47 AM   #4
Joe Blaze

can anyone post a photo of how far forward the top sits over the windshield frame? if it sits only halfway over the frame, then i will put the rubber piece back on.
thanks
Old 10-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
cleszkie

Are your bed rail bolts all in when you took the picture of the gap at the frame? And will the bolts that go through the sunvisor brackets line up with the threaded insert in the top? If yes to both, and you still cannot pull the windshield to the top with the inner mounting brackets, just shave the weatherstripping down a bit until it fits. Without that weatherstripping, it will be like a submarine with a screen door during a rain.

If your bed rail bolts line up and the sunvisor bolts do not, then your windshield frame has been tweaked (pushed back). You may need to untweak it gently until the sunvisor bolt holes line up.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #6
truckster

Without the corners it's going to be impossible to get it not to leak.

When you put the top on, instead of sliding it forward across the weatherstrip, lift it up a little and set it down on the weatherstrip. There are two bolts that go through the visor mounting bracket (one on each) and those will give you about 1/8 to 1/4 inch play in any direction. If those are lined up, the front of your top is in the right place. I work those down alternately and then loosen the two middle brackets until I can get a bolt in them. I usually have to use a small pry bar to get one bracket line up and then start the bolt in the other one. It's a tight fit, but if it weren't it would leak.

You'll also want to buy some drip deflectors if they didn't come with the top. The design of the top makes water want to come in at the front corners of the windows, and the drip deflector makes the water run to the outside. The drip deflector is an angle piece that mounts to the top and to the windshield frame in the holes I circled in your picture.

One other thing that can help you get the top in the right place is the two very rear mounting tabs, the ones on the sides of the tailgate. Those don't really have any play in them, unlike the side rail holes, so if they're lined up the top is probably in the right place.
Attached Images

truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:25 AM   #7
Joe Blaze

yeah, i took the photos before i put the deflectors on. but anyway, once again, i want to thank the brothers on this forum for advice. i put the chunks of rubber back on and used the vertical visor bolts to pull it down, and used the windshield brackets to pull it forward, and it fit great. i put the deflectors on, and put some silicone caulking in some gaps to plug the space, and all is good. thanks for the comments and help. i will put photos of the good fit up later.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #8
6t727t2

Hey Joe, Here are some pics of my '72 Jimmy, with the single wall top, showing the front of the top. I think you have it in the right spot, just need to install the drip deflectors and door top caps (forgot if your blazer had those?) Also, send me an email, I found a pair of those latch brackets for the hatch. Harry
Attached Images

6t727t2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:01 PM   #9
6t727t2

The visors aren't attached in the pics. I'll get that visor bolt size for you also, if you still need it.
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2011, 11:15 PM   #10
Joe Blaze

yeah harry, i got the bolts and screws and all is good. I got a reply from user BobbyK who posted a tutorial on the top bolts. He put good photos that made it clear.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=369523

i could use those brackets to hold the hatch closed. I used oxy cleaner and a scrub brush on the top, and it came out looking bright white like a new top.

BTW, the seats went in great and makes the truck interior look 100% better. thanks for all your help. my truck looks great now (except for that ridiculous cow print that the prior owner put in).

Last edited by Joe Blaze; 10-14-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:04 PM   #11
Joe Blaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6t727t2 View Post
The visors aren't attached in the pics. I'll get that visor bolt size for you also, if you still need it.

Is that piece supposed to have those ridges on it? mine has a smooth top, and i am getting some leakage past the drip molding.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #12
6t727t2

Joe, that top really came out nice! I usually see the smooth door tops on '69 & '70 Blazers, maybe there was a reason and a design change to the ridge type, they are always on '71-'72? PM or email an address and I'll get those latch keepers to you.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:57 PM   #13
cleszkie

The smooth top door caps are to be used with single wall tops. The door caps with the ridges go with the double wall tops. The weather stripping around the door glass openning is different between the single and double wall tops, so you need the right door cap to make the system seal properly.