The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
hick

Turbo 400's... How much did they change over the years?

Howdy All,

My time has come to crawl out of the shadows and start my journey down the sqaurebody life style.

I picked this up a couple weeks ago...

Been driving the snot out of it loving every moment of it... Until today. I have no reverse and i think my 3-4 gears are starting to slip as well.

I have come across a few Turbo 400's online, ranging from a 72 up to the mid 80's.

I'm not out to build a drag truck... I just need to be able to be able to putt around in it till the winter and maybe a little bit into the spring... Cause it will be getting swapped out anyways.

Can I use any turbo 400? Knowing GM, i doubt things changed much, if any at all.

Like i said, this is just to drive it till i get my other drivetrain in there.

Thanks in advance,

Scott
Old 10-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Turbo 400's... How much did they change over the years?

the differences were that there is a short tail and a long tail... the short tail is 6" and the long tail is 9". the driveshaft will not fit if you use the wrong one. some of the van ones had a different trans mount too...Its an awful lot of work to try and convert a short tail to a long tail and visa versa. THe bodies and mechanics along theyears are all the same tho

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:23 PM   #3
80SPORT

I was wondering who would get that truck ...I saw it disappear from kijiji...I talked to the owner last fall and then bought another 89 dually crew ....same color ...out of Calgary

Yours should be the regular truck th400 with the bolt on yoke ...as far as I know all the square body th400s interchange.

I had a spare trans from an 80 454 at our red deer shop ...if it is still there you are welcome to it no charge

Alex ...z77@shaw.ca
80SPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:27 PM   #4
hick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SPORT View Post
I was wondering who would get that truck ...I saw it disappear from kijiji...I talked to the owner last fall and then bought another 89 dually crew ....same color ...out of Calgary

Yours should be the regular truck th400 with the bolt on yoke ...as far as I know all the square body th400s interchange.

I had a spare trans from an 80 454 at our red deer shop ...if it is still there you are welcome to it no charge

Alex ...z77@shaw.ca

Alex,

I had also seen this truck on kijiji for some time... I quit my job, spent 3 days watching inspector gadget in my underwear and decided to go buy my self a truck haha...

I'll PM you about the tranny
Old 10-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #5
hick

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
the differences were that there is a short tail and a long tail... the short tail is 6" and the long tail is 9". the driveshaft will not fit if you use the wrong one. some of the van ones had a different trans mount too...Its an awful lot of work to try and convert a short tail to a long tail and visa versa. THe bodies and mechanics along theyears are all the same tho
Thank you sir. I heard there was a difference in the tails but no one could explain it like you did.

Seems like Alex may come to my recuse, but i will keep it in mind if i do have to go shopping for one