The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
Mike Bradbury

An expensive lesson learned

As many of you know this all started with a bent push rod in my SBC on the way to the Brothers truck show in July. My work schedule is pretty tight so I have not been able to dedicate a lot of time to fixing the problem.

I did not know why the rod failed because there was no piston to valve contact and there was no damaged component other than the push rod. I ended up upgrading the valve springs and push rods, converted to threaded rocker studs and guide plates. I then wanted to inspect the timing chain to make sure it did not slip a tooth, the timing chain has about 1/2 inch slop in it, but has not slipped. The one thing that made my heart sink was when I pulled the pan on my 14,000 mi crate motor there was all kinds of microscopic shavings in the bottom. Almost looked like graphite, until you get a magnet next to it and the slivers stand on end. Now I am looking at a complete rebuild. The main bearings are shot and I am now tearing it all down to a bare block.

The reason I am posting this in the general discussion and not the engine forum is because I was not planing on touching the engine during my build, it was the newest part on the truck when I started. But when it failed I when into investigation mode to figure out why it died after only 14,000 miles.

As a warning for all you guys out there who think motor oil is motor oil, take it from me and my expensive lesson, that they are not. I have run most of my vehicles on Mobil One so that is what I put in the C10. After about 6 months I started hearing stories about the zinc content in the modern oils, and I thought that well I will just finish this round with the synthetic and then change to something else. Well it did not make it that far and I am paying heavily for it.

The modern engines of today come standard with roller rockers and lifters, therefore the motor oil companies have reduced the zinc in the oil which helps lubricate the cam and lifters. Check the zinc in your oil. I am fortunate to live right down the road from Crower racing products and they do a lot of testing on motor oil. Just talked to them today and they said that they do not recommend any synthetic oils on flat tappet engines because they cannot guarantee damage will not occur.

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583
Old 10-17-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
Lee H

Re: An expensive lesson learned

Are you saying the shavings are from the cam lobes?
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Old 10-17-2011, 08:08 PM   #3
Mt Man Chad

Yep not the first time I've heard this. Same thing happened to a buddy's brand new big block with lots of $$$ into it.

http://www.zddplus.com/

Last edited by Mt Man Chad; 10-17-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
leddzepp

I use Mobil 1 along with a zddp additive.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 10-17-2011, 08:59 PM   #5
Painter D

Happened to me once also bud, it sucks.

In any of my flat tappet engines I run Valvoline VR1 now, it has plenty of zddp in it.

'63 Buick Riviera ... AccuAir E-level, 20" Billet Specialties (Vintecs)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=528853&page=5
Old 10-17-2011, 08:59 PM   #6
Mt Man Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
I use Mobil 1 along with a zddp additive.
Always works in my rigs!
Old 10-17-2011, 09:02 PM   #7
domeier

I don't mean to be negative, but I'd tend to place more suspicion on the engine build than a particular brand of oil. Be interested to hear what you find out when you tear it down. Whatever the cause, I feel your pain. That sucks.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:26 PM   #8
Pont406

I posted this before from Crower:

Use of Synthetic Oils
Crower does not recommend the use of synthetic motor oil in any application, particularly in hydraulic and flat tappet camshafts. If your car manufacturer's owners manual suggests running synthetic oil, you may do so. The minimum gains in horsepower are offset by the excessive wear to cam and lifter surfaces. We have found that the benefits, of synthetic motor oil, do not outweigh the costs and may endanger your engine's life. Crower recommends a non-detergent / race only petroleum based 30wt. motor oil in all performance applications. The lack of phosphorus and zinc in current oil blends is catastrophic to engine longevity. For all applications we do recommend running our ZDDPlus additive, which adds zinc and phosphorus back into the oil. For additional information on oil, click here!

http://www.crower.com/faq/#h
Old 10-17-2011, 11:17 PM   #9
Mike Bradbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by domeier View Post
I don't mean to be negative, but I'd tend to place more suspicion on the engine build than a particular brand of oil. Be interested to hear what you find out when you tear it down. Whatever the cause, I feel your pain. That sucks.
It was a GM crate motor, factory built, I had powder coated the oil pan just 1000 miles before the rod bent, so the pan was very clean with no sludge what so ever. When I reinstalled the pan I put in Mobil One for the first time. and only drove it on the week ends and then the long haul to the Brothers show. I will post a picture of the came when I get it out but since I have the engine upside down and I can see the lobes better, they look like there is more damage than I first thought. But all those little shavings have gotten into everything.

I am upgrading it all to roller everything so I never have to worry about zinc again.

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583
Old 10-18-2011, 08:26 AM   #10
bigsnookmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bradbury View Post
It was a GM crate motor, factory built, I had powder coated the oil pan just 1000 miles before the rod bent, so the pan was very clean with no sludge what so ever. When I reinstalled the pan I put in Mobil One for the first time. and only drove it on the week ends and then the long haul to the Brothers show. I will post a picture of the came when I get it out but since I have the engine upside down and I can see the lobes better, they look like there is more damage than I first thought. But all those little shavings have gotten into everything.

I am upgrading it all to roller everything so I never have to worry about zinc again.
I feel your pain! Sorry to hear about that. I have been running a solid roller for a couple of years, with no problems so far. I also run Jesel shaft rockers, and Isky red-zone e-z roll lifters. They don't come out of adjustment. It's expensive, but if it lasts, it's worth it. .02
Old 10-18-2011, 11:11 AM   #11
406 Q-ship

I believe that Mobil has a synthetic that still carries the zinc of the older spec oils. I will have to look and try to find where I read that to post here. Synthetic isn't the problem it is the lack of the zinc, all oils currently sold out of the regular retail stores lack the zinc needed for scrubber cams. I use either Diesel (rotello) oil or add a can of STP (still has the zinc), one day I will make the switch to a roller cam engine but for now it is additive.

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
Old 10-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #12
big d's red67

Happened to my BBC after 15 miles on the motor, I have a roller cam now. hate you had the same problem.

2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS
2013 Camaro RS convertible the wife's

Build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=573248
Old 10-18-2011, 11:39 AM   #13
domeier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bradbury View Post
It was a GM crate motor, factory built
Okay. Now I'm terrified.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #14
k5hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69chevyshort View Post

In any of my flat tappet engines I run Valvoline VR1 now, it has plenty of zddp in it.
I run this in my blazer. ^^

Have heard this story many times on other boards. Some don't have problems. Some kill the engine in 20 miles. Sorry for the loss.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #15
OhOneWS6

Thank you for posting this. Hopefully it will save someone else. It still surprises me that with every example of this issue, there are those who read the evidence and still think you can run a flat tappet cam without zinc in the oil.

It's not just the evolution of roller motors in modern vehicles that has resulted in the removal of zinc from motor oil. A roller motor will survive just fine with zinc in the oil. The EPA wants heavy metals out of the oil.

This is something that is changing daily. Even if your oil of choice had zinc in it last time you purchased it, check the label the next time you buy it. it also depends on where you live. Here in TX we can still buy VR1 off the shelf. not sure you can do that in CA.

Last edited by OhOneWS6; 10-18-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #16
OJ1988
Just a car guy

MAgazines have been harping on this for a couple years now.

I thought it was pretty common knowledge at this point that if you are running a flat tappet cam, you need to add zinc or find some specialty oil with it still in it.

I 'm using Brad Penn Green oil in my flat tappet motor.
1970 C20 tow rig
Old 10-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #17
leddzepp

From a Corvette forum, regarding VR-1: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...ht-it-was.html

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 10-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #18
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Thanks for the heads up...sorry it had to come at such cost to you though.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
Old 10-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #19
m6z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69chevyshort View Post

That's what I run in flat tappet motors as well.

Looking for a 67-72 short bed driver.....
Old 10-18-2011, 02:02 PM   #20
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

1) Which gm crate engine is this?

a) Are you positive that the oil caused the problem?; i have a crate engine horror story as well which i can refer if/when i find the link. i'm still not totally sure what caused the rod to bend, but it started with a bent pushrod as well. You may already be familiar with my story but i will try to find the link anyways.

2) NOTE: i use redline synthetic because this is one of the few oils i can find that has enough zddp in it because all my cars have flat lifters.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:08 PM   #21
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
From a Corvette forum, regarding VR-1: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...ht-it-was.html
Wow! I read the entire thread you linked to. Seems the most economically sensible thing to run in my basically stock flat tappet 402 is any decent non-synthetic with a high ZDDP additive as simple as STP.
You stated earlier you use Mobil 1 with an additive. Which additive do you use?
Mine is the original motor that came in my truck, not high RPM build.
Thanks.

BTW, everyone with a flat tappet build should read that thread!
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
Old 10-18-2011, 02:14 PM   #22
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Damn sure don't want to have to tear this down after 14,000 miles!

Sorry for the highjack and sorry about your engine trouble but you may have just saved me from the same fate. Thanks.
Attached Images

71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
Old 10-18-2011, 02:42 PM   #23
leddzepp

I use ZDDPlus additive. From what I have read, STP will also work. Some folks also use GM break-in lube because of the high zinc content.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 10-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #24
OJ1988
Just a car guy

And, it seems just about everyone is selling 'break in oil' with added zinc now as well.

There are plenty of options out there, you just gotta look at the labels.
1970 C20 tow rig
Old 10-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #25
pumpkin

I've been saying this for years now, but no one realy listens. Additives don't work very well, as the modern oils drasticaly reduce there effectiveness. There are two ways around this problem that I have found. Use a racing/off road use ony oil such as Joe Gibbs racing oil, or go full roller on you engine. Full roller is my choice, as that is one of the main reason modern engines are able to rack up so manny miles without trouble. As a mechanic I regularly see engines with 200,000 plus on them, and still running fine.
Closed Thread