The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2011, 07:39 AM   #1
stingray72
Red Headed Step Child

Spalding 5.3/4L603 setups - What else is needed?

Ok. Going to do the 5.3L/4L60E swap into my truck and i like the idea of the low mileage prettly complete package from Spalding. I don't have a ton of space for a build (any really) and this is something my mechanic can drop in for me pretty easily and bonus, it's ready to run. Anyways

So I buy the package from Spalding then to complete the build

1. Engine Mounts
2. Transmission cross member or mounts of some sort
3. Drive Shaft
4. Fuel Pump or anything else fuel related? I've already relocated the tank under the bed
5. Cooling? Radiator and or transmission cooler? Anything else here to look into? Electric fan setup

I know the speedo, tach, oil pressue etc will take some adapters or something to go from electrical to mechanical or I could probably change the gauges or something, I will look into that and know that's something I can do in the garage.

I'm probably grossly over simplifying (I always do) but what "big" parts am I missing?

Haven't been around in a while, hope everyone is doing well. Still got and driving my dads old 72

It's also going to get new suspension (thinking 2/4 drop), new shoes and a new paintjob (still black) but I want to get the engine and trasmission buttoned up first

-Homer Simpson
stingray72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
mcbassin
Still Learning

Re: Spalding 5.3/4L603 setups - What else is needed?

Sounds like you have all the basics covered.
On the fuel system, you may need a Corvette style regulator/filter if your fuel rail doesn't have a built in regulator. Which means you will need to run a return back to the tank.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

5.3 would come with truck intake manifold I would assume, so he would need to run a return line to the tank.
Would need a new fuel pump to supply pressure for FI, along with replacing any rubber with either FI rubber hose or braided.
Driveshaft would be needed, when I had mine made it was only $30 more for a thick wall brand new shaft, not a shortened stock one.
Stock radiator has been made to work, electric fans are a good idea and not too spendy.
Youll need to either get adapter plates and stock mounts, or a full swap mount/perch like the cpp or dirtydingo (i think) setup.
Need to consider exhaust manifolds (if they don't come with, or if you have trouble fitting them in) as well as your exhaust setup out the back.
I had to re-drill holes for my trans xmember and slide it back, but no new parts were needed.
You may also want to find out if its DBC or DBW and if everything comes with it for that setup.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
stingray72
Red Headed Step Child

Thanks for the info guys. Here's where I'm at so far

Engine is an 09 (5.3L) and transmission is an 08 (4L60E). Wiring harness is being done and package will ship next week or week after probably.

I'm pretty sure I'm going the Classic Instruments route for gauge cluster just to make it more plug and play (and they look nice also).

I believe the fuel pump is in the tank now I don't remember but i don't guess that's an extremely difficult or expensive change for a new one.

one thing I've seen is there are 3 different mount adapter plates and they're chosen based on using the stock or newer A/C condenser,compressor or evaporator (or something like that?, going from memory and I've been doing a lot of reading). My truck is A/C and I want to keep it running also

BR3W City - I dont' know what DBC or DBW is?

-Homer Simpson
stingray72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

DBC= Drive By Cable
DBW= Drive by wire
these are how the accelerator/TB are connected so you can move the truck.

Also you may need an A4 compressor from a 90's model truck and a bracket for your compressor from Kwik Performance, they have the high mount compressor bracket you might need.

Also an 09 motor will probably have the AFM ( active fuel management) and VVT( variable valve timing) on it, talk to your tuner about whether to keep and what are pro and cons for that.

Good luck!

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #6
mcbassin
Still Learning

I have seen guys use the stock compressor with the oem a/c I think you just have to modify the orifice/accumlator setup? Using a later model.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #7
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

this is from Vintage air, so take it for what it means to you...

Here is some more info to all who has a ls motor in there truck and the ones who are running the factory comp

We do not recommend using the ls factory compressors off of the camaros,gto's or vettes because they are a variable displacement type compressor and our epansion valve metered system requires a fixed displacement type compressor.

The truck ls motors are the only motors that come with a fixed displacement type compressor and this will work fine with no problems.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:35 AM   #8
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Not a cheap gauge setup but not much more then all new autometer gauges... plus this is a great option for LSx swaps... check it out HERE

They come in red and blue lighting with silver or carbon fiber backing....

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote