The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
sigshooter

Info wanted on Eastwood aerosol paint

I have been checking out Eastwood and am thinking of ordering some of their aerosol paints. Alum blast, brake gray, golden clad, etc.

What is your experience with these products? Do they hold up well? Is the brake grey actually resistant to brake fluid?

Does any parts store carry these or do you have to order direct from Eastwood?
sigshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
Born Lucky

Re: Info wanted on Eastwood aerosol paint

I have used there paints long ago. They spray well and seem to be O.K.
This was in my early days of learning about restorations. Now, if I need to do some painting I usually go to the auto paint store and buy some professional paint.
Born Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:58 PM   #3
rustyrodknocker

I posted once before about the frame paint. it was actually far more expensive than buying a gallon of single stage. you can get set up to spray small parts for dirt cheap if you have a compressor and a $20 gun.
rustyrodknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:15 PM   #4
jocko

i like their stuff, it is high quality - but my experience has been with the chassis black and all the bare-metal looking stuff. Can't vouch for brake fluid resistance, haven't spilled any, yet.

One product I did not like, and this is the only one, is their "under hood black". It seemed to have a milky look, I got better results and equally looking oem finish with just plain old krylon semi-gloss black.

Having said that, I normally just use their stuff for small jobs, individual parts, and touch up - a compressor and gun would pay off if you plan to paint a lot. But for what is on the market today, they have pretty good stuff. I can vouch for their brake drum heavy duty paint - it stays nice and resists any chemical stains/peels, etc. I have dripped plenty of brake fluid on the drums and it held up well.

My 2 cents. And speaking of that - true point, their stuff is not inexpensive. In most cases, I've fouind you get what you pay for though. Also, pre-paint prep is as important with this stuff as with any - it's gotta be clean and appropriately scuffed for proper adhesion. Their "PRE" paint prep does a good job of cleaning all the greasy prints, etc off before paint. I use that stuff regardless of whose product I'm spraying over the top.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:53 PM   #5
rustyrodknocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
i like their stuff, it is high quality - but my experience has been with the chassis black and all the bare-metal looking stuff. Can't vouch for brake fluid resistance, haven't spilled any, yet.

One product I did not like, and this is the only one, is their "under hood black". It seemed to have a milky look, I got better results and equally looking oem finish with just plain old krylon semi-gloss black.

Having said that, I normally just use their stuff for small jobs, individual parts, and touch up - a compressor and gun would pay off if you plan to paint a lot. But for what is on the market today, they have pretty good stuff. I can vouch for their brake drum heavy duty paint - it stays nice and resists any chemical stains/peels, etc. I have dripped plenty of brake fluid on the drums and it held up well.

My 2 cents. And speaking of that - true point, their stuff is not inexpensive. In most cases, I've fouind you get what you pay for though. Also, pre-paint prep is as important with this stuff as with any - it's gotta be clean and appropriately scuffed for proper adhesion. Their "PRE" paint prep does a good job of cleaning all the greasy prints, etc off before paint. I use that stuff regardless of whose product I'm spraying over the top.
well I'll have to disagree on the quality and getting what you pay for part. 8 years after putting $100 of aerosol chassie black on 1 frame it has chaulked up and desintegrated. a $50 gallon of single stage enamel was enough to do a nice job on two frames that equals 25% of the cost for a better quality job. You can pay for some equiptment quickly with a return like that.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:07 AM   #6
sigshooter

I am going to spray the frame with TSC equipment enamel and use their hardner.... heard alot of good about this product.

I am mostly interested in eastwoods hi temp exhaust manifold paint, their brake gray ( because it is suppose to resist chemical peel ) speciality products like these. Aeresol is just an easy way to paint small items like master cylinders or exhaust manifolds without having to go thru alot of mixing and cleaning trouble
sigshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:37 AM   #7
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

The only experience I can offer comes from my youngest son. He has used their brush on exhaust manifold paint, and says it remains looking like new for years. He's been very happy with it.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:31 AM   #8
Wrenchbender Ret

Most of their stuff can be bought at the Ace hardware or auto parts store. I use their carb paints. It makes a beautiful detailed carb. I also use the ex. manifold paint. It looks real natural. Be careful with it it is very toxic.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #9
Patina

I'm using Eastwood paints exclusively on my 65 chassis resto...

So far I have had great success with the chassis black,extreme chassis black,brake gray, and silver cad paints.

The chassis black is a great paint, I used both rattle cans and a gun to apply it and in both cases it went on smooth and didn't run. i achieved decent coverage with two coats but to be honest it takes three to get a nice looking finish.

The extreme chassis black is even better, it goes on great and leaves an almost gloss finish, not matte....

As for the brake grey, they claim it is supposed to look like bare cast iron but I don't think it does. It has way too much silver pigment in it, probably as a result of the stainless steel they add to it. If you use it make sure you take their suggestions for several light coats! If you spray it on thick the stainless flake will not lay out properly.

the other paints have worked great and they are pretty close to the color that Eastwood describes. I have not used the under-hood black yet and after the description above I will most likely spray something small and see how it weathers. As for the chalking and disintegrating, i will have to wait and see but that sounds like improper prep and or application of the paint. Good luck
Patina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:28 PM   #10
pdxhall

I am also using the Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black, the primer, and the Rust Encapsulator. They seem to be working out great. I have used rattle cans and spray gun and both lay very well. I have used the rattle can clear and spray gray and they are also good. I would say, though, that shipping charges are kind of high, but if you watch for the sales and specials you can come out real good. Right now it's free shipping on everything until Christmas.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #11
rustyrodknocker

Improper application from a rattlecan? The exterior of the finish oxidized to nothing.just like any low quality rattlecan. But thanks for assuming Im a moron
next time be sure to ask here for instruction. Intill then you can read the feedback on that product on eastwoods website.none of which is mine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-25-2011, 02:15 AM   #12
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrodknocker View Post
Improper application from a rattlecan? The exterior of the finish oxidized to nothing.just like any low quality rattlecan. But thanks for assuming Im a moron
next time be sure to ask here for instruction. Intill then you can read the feedback on that product on eastwoods website.none of which is mine.
Posted via Mobile Device
I decided to take your advice since I have been using Eastwood's paints for some time. I read the feedback on their website for the Original chassis black in gloss and satin. Of the 7 reviews only one stated a problem with the coverage and that sounded like improper prep. The problem some of the others stated was the nozzle clogging up. Other than that they liked the coating and quality of the finish. I can't speak for the original chassis black but the Extreme chassis black I have used is great. I use one of the inexpensive spray handle attachments on the can and I have had no problems with clogging. I'd like to know what credentials you have that makes you an expert on rattle can paint to know what the qualitly is or isn't. And furthermore the paint you used ''8" years ago may have been improved since then. I have bought the quart sized containers and used them with a spray gun and I can't tell the difference in that or the rattle cans.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:43 AM   #13
Bears63
...just another truck junkie..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrodknocker View Post
First off, settle down. Suggestions and possibilities were stated and nothing more. Second, if you go to Eastwood's website and actually read the reviews of their paints you will see that the vast majority of people giving the stuff poor reviews did not properly prep, apply, or both. They sure do get vocal on blaming Eastwood's paint quality for their own ineptitude though. Last, the quality of Eastwood paints is much different than they once were, for the better. I know because I was using them 10 years ago too, and the stuff today applies better and is more durable. Even Rustoleum paints are better quality than they once were.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:41 PM   #14
Patina

Concerning the post above, I meant no offense, I was just sharing my experience with the paints.

Improper prep and/or application does not automatically mean that the painter is responsible... For example it could have been extremely humid when the paint was applied or there may have been drastic changes in temperature during cure time.

In no way was implying that there was a lack of intelligence concerning the end user.

I myself have followed directions to the letter and had less that spectacular results with many different paint products (not just Eastwood). Sometimes its just anomaly!

In any event, I was just responding to the original authors inquiry about the quality of Eastwood's paints based on my experience in the last few months. If it seemed inflammatory I apologize.
Patina is offline   Reply With Quote