The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2011, 10:56 AM   #1
yossarian19

New guy, could use advice

Hey all,
Been lurking for a little while and scratching my head at what to do. Thought I'd introduce myself a little and ask a few questions.
So, I'm 27 & a mechanic working on EFI cars of course. Living in Oakland, CA and looking forward to moving back to the country. The truck is in Nevada City, my lady's home town, where her brother is patiently keeping it in his driveway. Used to be his dad's, then his, now the girl & I's. The girlfriend and I are taking over the family pickup, a '57 with a blown I-6 (head off, radiator out, #2 crank bearing bad) and wanting to get it back on the road.

As I see it, our options are:

Rebuild the I-6 as best we can, keeping in mind that it is already at maximum bore.
Swap in a carb'ed SBC
Leave it in the driveway for now & save money till we can go LS swap, which could be a *long* time.

The other part -
well, we want to keep it a functional work truck. IFS would be great but my welding skills aren't up to par for that. Looking for front & rear axle swaps that would gain us 4 wheel disc brakes. Any likely candidates that are the right width?
What is the stock WMS to WMS measurement, anyway?

Thanks for any / all help.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
55metalmonkey

Re: New guy, could use advice

Just my opinion but if it's solid and no major rot I'd rebuild the I6 and keep it stock for now, drive it for a while and if it doesn't fit what you want out of it see what you want to improve on then change it.
if it's starting to rot in spots improve on it from there, new sheetmetal, IFS, PS ect.
most of us want the uber hot rod right off the bat but it's a heafty project and more than most can take on unless you have the tools/ space/ budget/ time/ experience
there are lots of options for a IFS setup but if your not confident in your welding skills you could always do all yor own fitting and call in a mobile welder for what you can't do, plus you know it's done right by a qualified welder (JMO)
As for frame swaps there are 100s of build threads on here for them and 1000's of opinions on it as well, use search tab on the top bar...should keep you busy reading for months if you really want to read them all.
Pics help, everyone love pics on here. keep us posted
55metalmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
OrrieG

Welcome! Good advice from metal monkey. Get it running and use it for a while. You may find while it was a good idea, you want something different. Look at the threads, the person doing the work (some of these guys are pros or highly skilled hobbists) and the dates to get a feel for how long it takes. some of us like the process, others want something to drive and show off. Room for all here, you need to decide what you want. Life has a way of getting in the way of projects, there are literally hundreds of unfinished projects, or finished ones selling for dimes on the dollar because of lost interest, lost job or general lack of money. Look around for a replacement six, I bet you can find one for less than it will cost to rebuild yours (probably in a running truck!). Or drop in a 350, they are cheap and plentiful and not much more work than dropping in a newer model 6.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
Kim57

Welcome
The advice doesn't get much better than what 55metalmonkey and OrrieG posted.
Do post some pics of your truck.
Kim
Old 10-24-2011, 11:53 PM   #5
Coupeguy2001

Here's what I would do......
Since small block chevy engines are so plentiful, and your bellhousing crossmember is the same, V8 or 6, I would buy a running chevy, (car or truck) around 78-85, and swap the engine into the truck, with a V8 bellhousing, and a couple of side mounts, keeping the original trans.
If you make brackets for the radiator that bolt to your original radiator holes, you can just about get everything off the donor car and get it running. The radiator right now is in the 6 cyl. position, and even the clutch fan will go in there.
Say you buy a wrecked car that runs, $1500 tops........but around $800 average, the engine mounts are around $100. The bell housing can run up to $75.
Enginuity is free...... Then sell the car to a metal yard and get around $200 for what's left. You can do it in a weekend.
If it sat long enough, you will have to do master cylinder rebuild and some wheel cylinders.
If you get a car with a set of 15 inch tires, well, you get the rest.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
spousta

Metal monkey hit the nail on the head. Once you start pulling apart it takes time to get back together correctly, also when you start pulling you'll notice more and more to replace and before you know your truck is in pieces. Baby steps get it driving first.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
meter swinger

Haha you should see the mess ive got torn apart. Seriously, ive dumped two projects in the last three years, a 59' burb and a 63' wagon because i was in over my head. I have three projects now and i may ditch another one soon. Making the time to work on them is tough. Make sure you really WANT to build this truck. The cars that have cost me the most money were given to me. Go figure.
Run that I-beam front end with some quality shocks, and teflon liner in between the leaves and i think youll like it. Dressed up sewing machine sixes are definately cool, but can get expensive. Whatever you do, just enjoy it, this hobby is more about therapy than anything else.
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #8
hopped up

just as the others said, just get another straight 6 or rebuild the one you have and get it running. then you can make changes while youre enjoying it. otherwise itll be a longterm project that you might get burned out with
Posted via Mobile Device
hopped up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:37 PM   #9
yossarian19

Thanks for the advice, all.
I'll get pictures up as soon as I get up to Nevada City to see her (& pull the motor). Time is already an issue with this truck - winter is coming and I haven't been able to get started on it.

After considering what you guys have said, I think I'll pull the old engine rebuild it and reinstall it, drive it a while and see what it needs. I know the previous owner has done a lot of work to it, which I'll need to document (cause I won't remember it all...)

I expect I'll be going for brake upgrades first, engine second. I have a lot of respect for you guys with the metal fab & body work skills, I'm just not there yet. No IFS / chop jobs / air bags on this one.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:23 AM   #10
55metalmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian19 View Post
Thanks for the advice, all.
I'll get pictures up as soon as I get up to Nevada City to see her (& pull the motor). Time is already an issue with this truck - winter is coming and I haven't been able to get started on it.

After considering what you guys have said, I think I'll pull the old engine rebuild it and reinstall it, drive it a while and see what it needs. I know the previous owner has done a lot of work to it, which I'll need to document (cause I won't remember it all...)

I expect I'll be going for brake upgrades first, engine second. I have a lot of respect for you guys with the metal fab & body work skills, I'm just not there yet. No IFS / chop jobs / air bags on this one.
Nothing wrong with a nice old driver that works and isn't costing you an arm and a leg to finish, Having been in the same situation your in trying to figgure what to do with it here is my experience so far:
I started mine with the intent to just slap a motor in and drive. which I mounted the engine looked at it long and hard, then I changed my mind
so I gutted it and started finding small problems everywhere this is where the little voice in my head went "well since I'm here anyway I should ........."
then I went for a camaro clip and custom this and modified that, axle flip smooth fire wall re work fenders ect ect..... (like I said before it's a heafty project & I'm sure most guys have a story like mine
well after a year (working 4-8 hrs 3-5 days a week on it I'm almost ready to send it to my buddys shop for body work and paint which will probably take the 2 of us 1-2 months of work before it's smooth enough for paint (we're picky) then another 1-2 months for wireing and interior work. the list may go on forever it seems.
The good news is your on the right site, If you find a build or a thread that seems like it's the way you want to go I've found no one seems shy about sharing info . I have yet to find someone on here that won't help you out, share a million pics or spend a few hours compiling an email to walk you through something
Just my experience
Old 10-27-2011, 06:42 AM   #11
squirrely_1

I am a newby myself, i am sitting in the sand in south east asia right now , but i purchased a 1958 stepside apache recently for $800 , i am hoping i can have the 235 I6 running and on the road by summer time. It is a 3 on the tree all original parts.. it ran when it was parked and hasn't been started in 10 years..I just need to know from the elders what i need to do first? oh and this is a 12v system to right?
Attached Images

squirrely_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:44 PM   #12
55metalmonkey

this is just my method of CPR on an old beast
1:pull spark plugs and put a few cc's of oil in each hole (10 yrs= no lube)
2: chrank over by hand (make sure it's not siezed)
3:check rubber hoses and belts
4: filter change,
5: fluid change (gas, oil, coolant)
6: check wires for corrosion and knawing (critters love wires)
7: lube everything with penetrating fluid
8: put a battery in it
9: turn key on (don't start) check to make sure nothing is frying
10: put a few more cc's of oil on each hole and jog engine with starter (hopefuly starter works)
11: put new plugs in (or clean old ones, new is better)
12: put starter fluid down carb or some fresh gas
13: start engine
14: if it starts, yahoo, don't let it run too long
15: if it doesn't try to figure out why (air/ fuel/ compression/ spark)
16: if it runs, run it for only 30-60 seconds less is best
17: shut it off and check for leaks (you probably have a few)
18: check rocker cover and make sure oil is getting to rockers and through engine
19: run through full heat cycle (operating temp then off and cold)
20: check fluids for cross contamination (head gasket leaking? oil in coolany or coolant in oil or coolant in trans)
21: check brakes and tires
22: start and check trans (fwd/back)
23: check lights, interior switches and guages
24: check steering
25: have a beer

I'm sure everyone has their own method and I don't think I missed anything, if so feel free to add them.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #13
solidaxel

After No 10 I would take a compression test and see if the valves are opening and holding closed while checking the starter!
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42

Last edited by solidaxel; 10-27-2011 at 07:45 PM. Reason: SP
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:55 AM   #14
55metalmonkey

True, thats a good point since you would already have the plugs out.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:59 AM   #15
OrrieG

I'd add a fuel filter between the tank and fuel pump. Detail check of the brakes, pull the drums to check for wheel cylinders leaking and seized parts. If its a manual make sure the clutch is working.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:24 AM   #16
55metalmonkey

I limited my resonse to reviving it from hibernation to get a feel for what needs to be done but all major componants such as engine, trans, steering, brakes, suspension exaust and major assembly bolts (cab/ box/ bumpers ect) should all be checked
Old 10-28-2011, 04:34 AM   #17
meter swinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrely_1 View Post
I am a newby myself, i am sitting in the sand in south east asia right now , but i purchased a 1958 stepside apache recently for $800 , i am hoping i can have the 235 I6 running and on the road by summer time. It is a 3 on the tree all original parts.. it ran when it was parked and hasn't been started in 10 years..I just need to know from the elders what i need to do first? oh and this is a 12v system to right?
Welcome to the board friend, i'm a fla expatriate from destin. I own some land in navarre that i dont think will ever sell since the economy down there has tanked. Anyway these guys here have it laid out for you like a procedure as far as start up. Youll be toolin along down HWY 98 in no time. Oh and good to see another four-eye around
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:26 AM   #18
squirrely_1

Thank you very much for the Tips, i am gonna need all the expert help i cn get when i get home!
squirrely_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #19
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55metalmonkey View Post
I limited my resonse to reviving it from hibernation to get a feel for what needs to be done but all major componants such as engine, trans, steering, brakes, suspension exaust and major assembly bolts (cab/ box/ bumpers ect) should all be checked
You and I understand that, I wanted to make sure he did not pull a bunch of crud from the tank into the fuel system adding to the work or tried to drive it and ended up not stopping. I learned both those lessons the hard way a long time ago and am fighting the crud in tank issue with a generator I inherited from my Dad.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:44 PM   #20
55metalmonkey

I see your point, then again there's no such thing as too much information IMHO. more is always better