The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
Ackattack

power steering line option for my TBI swap

I'm swapping in a complete TBI 350 shortly into my 69. I just put in a new power steering gear box. Now the TBI engine / power steering pump uses metric O-ring fittings. My gearbox obviously uses standard inverted flair fittings. What's the best way to get the two connected? Is there a male inverted flair to female o-ring fitting that I can just put in the gearbox.

I'd prefer to use one of the hoses I have, rather than having something made.

Any suggestions.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:23 AM   #2
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Re: power steering line option for my TBI swap

Derek, I'm going to move you to the engines forum.
I'll try to keep you to the top there until we can figure this out.

BTW- have you tried a marine fabricator for a junction between the two?

Ellen
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:17 AM   #3
MARKDTN

The easiest way to join 2 power steering hoses is with JIC fittings. Take the old and new hoses to a shop that makes hoses and cut them in half. Have them put a male JIC fitting on 1 side and a female on the other. JIC fittings are available for all common hose sizes both standard and metric. Cheap, quick, and can be covered with loom so you don't see the extra fitting in the middle. This makes it so that the fitting orientation is not critical, you just loosen the middle and turn it how you want it.

The other alternative is to find a hose in the catalog that does what you want. Figure out (from the catalog) what ends you need and length required and just start hunting by description. I did a TPI swap in a '71 and used '90 Corvette acessories. I think an early '90s Astro van hose is very close and you just have to bend the tubing at the steering box end and replace the metric nut with a standard double flare nut and flare the end. In fact you might be able to just buy the hose for a 90's truck and do the same thing on the box end; remove the metric nut and replace it with a standard nut and reflare. On the swap I did the hose wasn't long enough.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:09 PM   #4
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

All you have to do is take a 1 inch wrench and unscrew the fitting from the back of your late model ps pump and replace it with an earlier flare type of fitting. That allows you to reuse your original hose and takes about 2 minutes to do. I'm assuming you still have an original ps pump for your truck ? There's your fitting. They interchange.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:06 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I agree......and will add to be careful when you remove the fitting as there is a spring inside there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
All you have to do is take a 1 inch wrench and unscrew the fitting from the back of your late model ps pump and replace it with an earlier flare type of fitting. That allows you to reuse your original hose and takes about 2 minutes to do. I'm assuming you still have an original ps pump for your truck ? There's your fitting. They interchange.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote