The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2011, 10:03 AM   #1
bowt1ed

Dropped spindles - Any concerns or advice?

When I had a Camaro front clip installed several years ago, a coil was also cut from the springs to lower it to a more desireable stance. Now that I am on round 2 of my 57's overhaul, I would like to take a bit of the harshness out of the front while maintaining the stance. Does anyone have any advice or heard concerns with dropped spindles? Looking at possibly going back to full spring rate with 2" dropped spindle to keep the stance and increase the ride. Thanks, Jim
bowt1ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
Romac

Re: Dropped spindles - Any concerns or advice?

Lowriders beware ; it still rides like a truck , doesn't it ? That's because it's a truck . Chopping those coils was not a wise move ; if you want the girly soft ride of the Camaro , better get a Camaro. The Harley guys with the "hardtails" have the same beef ; after about 2 hours of driving , their kidneys are bruised . Every coil chopped is one coil closer to having no springs at all , not to mention not being safe . Good luck. Bob
Romac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:50 PM   #3
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romac View Post
Lowriders beware ; it still rides like a truck , doesn't it ? That's because it's a truck . Chopping those coils was not a wise move ; if you want the girly soft ride of the Camaro , better get a Camaro. The Harley guys with the "hardtails" have the same beef ; after about 2 hours of driving , their kidneys are bruised . Every coil chopped is one coil closer to having no springs at all , not to mention not being safe . Good luck. Bob
The camaro suspension doesn't know it is on a truck now so why would it ride any different than the car did?

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:02 PM   #4
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowt1ed View Post
When I had a Camaro front clip installed several years ago, a coil was also cut from the springs to lower it to a more desireable stance. Now that I am on round 2 of my 57's overhaul, I would like to take a bit of the harshness out of the front while maintaining the stance. Does anyone have any advice or heard concerns with dropped spindles? Looking at possibly going back to full spring rate with 2" dropped spindle to keep the stance and increase the ride. Thanks, Jim
I think you are on the right track Jim. I have done some research on dropped spindles and the only bad I found were guys arguing about scrub angles and they didn't know what they were talking about.I am going I am going to put a set on the camaro sub in my 52.

coils shouldn't be cut more than 1 coil or the geometry of the a rm spindle are adversely affected. so it would make more sense to just raise the spindle.just my 2 cents

My GMC build.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
brikar

You could also go the drop coil way hotchkis makes them and summit racing sell them
brikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:04 PM   #6
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikar View Post
You could also go the drop coil way hotchkis makes them and summit racing sell them
my problem with that much drop in the coils is it throws the camber off. The a arms are designed to move at a different radius {top shorter/bottom longer} to change the camber throughout the suspension travel. Just my .02

My GMC build.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
MrDude_1

Quote:
the only real fitment issue with drop spindles is they may increase your track-width slightly. between 1/4" to 1/2" max. so if you're close to having your tires rub the outside edge of the fenders, you may need to clearance or roll the fender lip.
other then that, they bolt on like regular spindles. you will have to get it re-aligned of course...

as for the springs, the nice thing about the "camaro springs" is they are just standard sized springs.....used in almost every GM independent front suspension for four decades or so, and used on alot of circle track cars.
so you figure out what spring rate you want, at what height.. and just spend $60 on some springs... to get the spring rate you want and the height you want. circle track suppliers are the cheap place to look for springs.

just remember that cutting a spring increases its spring rate... just like its harder to bend a short bar then a long one, a coil that is shorter is harder to compress. so if you're wanting that perfect stance and know you're cutting coils to do it, you'll want to get softer springs.
or if you want real adjustability, get short springs that are your ideal rate, and put some cheap weight jacks in. (weight jacks are just adjustable height spring perches)

mknittle: the key to fixing the camber of the drop spring, is to re-align it at your new ride height.... your thinking is 100% correct.. if you just swap springs they'll camber in on you... but by re-aligning at the new height, you're close to where you started. the overall geometry and curves will not be perfect by any means, but on a street car you're no further from ideal then every other average street car. they are often far from perfect to start with.
some suspensions (S10s for example) actually have better camber curves in the suspension range when they're lower then they were at stock height.
MrDude_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:54 AM   #8
mknittle

Its all a compromise so you just have to find what works for you.
Thanks MrDude. I am learning as much as I can about suspension geometry.

My GMC build.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:13 PM   #9
bowt1ed

Thanks mknittle, brikar and MrDude 1!
MrDude 1 - am I reading that it is possible to stay with my spindles and get a new set of springs that have the original rate, but at a shorter height? I am happy with my current ride height, just looking at softening the harshness a bit. If it is not necessary to offset (original spring height) by dropping spindle to compensate for shorter spring - I am interested. Thanks, Jim
bowt1ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:36 PM   #10
MrDude_1

Quote:
Thanks mknittle, brikar and MrDude 1!
MrDude 1 - am I reading that it is possible to stay with my spindles and get a new set of springs that have the original rate, but at a shorter height? I am happy with my current ride height, just looking at softening the harshness a bit. If it is not necessary to offset (original spring height) by dropping spindle to compensate for shorter spring - I am interested. Thanks, Jim
yes its entirely possible to do that. thats how most lowering springs work.

however, drop spindles do give better suspension geometry... if you have any minor handling issues. if your truck currently "darts" a little with the ruts in the road (after you check that the toe is properly set) then consider them..
since i have no clue what the height of everything is on your truck, i cant say if you need them or not... but on cars I always consider lowering spindles first if the vehicle is dropping lower then 3" or so...
MrDude_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:48 PM   #11
Rude Dude

I had a lowered 1987 C10, I put brand name so called lowered springs all they were was cut down 3/4 ton springs. My alignment shims kept poping out so and it rode horribly stiff. I put stock springs back in after cutting a coil and installing dropped bell tech spindles it rode smooth and cornered perfect, I wish I still had that truck.
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:52 PM   #12
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Dude View Post
I had a lowered 1987 C10, I put brand name so called lowered springs all they were was cut down 3/4 ton springs. My alignment shims kept poping out so and it rode horribly stiff. I put stock springs back in after cutting a coil and installing dropped bell tech spindles it rode smooth and cornered perfect, I wish I still had that truck.
" I wish I still had" i know the feeling well, Too bad hind sight is 20/20 vision.

My GMC build.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:31 AM   #13
meter swinger

The above mentioned recipe does work well on C-10s. 2.5" spindles and cut one coil only. This would likely be close for the camaro since overall they are very similar. The other issue you may have is wheel fitmant with dropped spindles if your running 15" rally wheels. If i were you i would post this question to Rob McGreogor in his "make it handle" thread in the suspension forum. He seems to have a good grip on lowering issues.
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote