The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
swizzlestick

is it worth it?

hey guys a friend of mine is looking at buying this truck. will have NO motor or trans and mounted on an s10 frame. he wants $4500. what do you guys think is it worth that as a roller? I know it depends on how well the work is done so lets assume its done well. thanks for your help http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/2661655490.html
swizzlestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:18 PM   #2
meter swinger

Re: is it worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzlestick View Post
hey guys a friend of mine is looking at buying this truck. will have NO motor or trans and mounted on an s10 frame. he wants $4500. what do you guys think is it worth that as a roller? I know it depends on how well the work is done so lets assume its done well. thanks for your help http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/2661655490.html
Check for bondo. No first hand experience but heard through the grapevine about a lot of bad body work on the old navy trucks. Im sure someone has more info. Price seems a little high for where i live.
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:32 AM   #3
fredscarryall

i have seen 3 in my area. one was donated to my church. it was a rusted out gutted piece of junk covered in bondo with a cheap blue paint job. then there were two down the steet for sale. they were asking $600 for both. and they were even worse. not even worth it for parts. you have to remember they were only prop truck. given to the cheapiest bidders for paint and body work. they had these trucks in over 1000 stores. it sad to see someone who more then likely bought the truck for $600 trying to make a $3900 profit in this economy. you say its in good shape.make sure you really check it out. you can hide alot with good bondo work. you may get lucky and have a good one. but chances not. then you have to think about putting it back together because they removed alost everything out of these trucks. i would much rather just buy a plain one on craiglist for less then $3000 and put a cheap satin paint job on it with old navy on the door.
fredscarryall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:13 AM   #4
fredscarryall

i do remember the one a my church had really nice chrome and interior.the other two i saw first hand had ok chrome and ok interior. i saw one go for $1600 a couple years back on ebay. then a guy was asking $3500 but i dont know how much he sold it for. they still have some stuff on youtube. type in old navy truck.
fredscarryall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
Russell Ashley

If the body is good and not full of bondo I think it is a reasonable price considering what all it comes with. You couldn't buy a nice one and do all that it comes with for the asking price. You would have to look it over real good to really know, though. I agree that most of those Old Navy trucks were full of bondo. There's one in the local Bass Pro Shop and a large chunk has fallen out of the left front fender.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:59 PM   #6
mr48chev

It's an unfinished project minus engine and trans so one has to stop and tally up the list of parts and go from there.

As the guys said, Old Navy sold those trucks for about 600 each after they got done with them. Some were really suspect and not much more than a body shell with a chrome grill and bumpers with a lot of bondo in the body.

Now to the truck it's self.

Nice chrome grill and what appears to be a presentable body
Painless wiring
New wheels and tires but the fronts are 4 inches wide and not great street wheels. If he doesn't like the wheels the seller may value them way higher than he does and discount the price accordingly.

A list of other stuff that while nice may or may not add value. The seat adds no value, I can't see if the tilt is presentable or installed correctly. The five window corner windows are great trading material but without the corners of the roof to swap they are only swap meet or trading material.

Get in under and around and look for rust and or suspect body work in all of the usual places. What do the fenders, floor boards and cab and cowl corners look and feel like from the inside and bottom of the truck?
Is the S-10 frame installed correctly? Or is it going to have to be redone so that the cab is stable so it can be driven safely? If the body is really solid and the body work looks first rate (from the bottom side) it may be worth closer to the asking price especially if your buddy could drop an engine and trans in and drive it right away.

NO TITLE instant 500.00 deduction in offer minimum. What are the trials and tribulations for getting a title in your state? Documentation that it had been an Old Navy display truck for years might help there.

I'd wait the guy out a couple of weeks and go over with a cash in hand offer of about 3000.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
swizzlestick

you guys are saying what I did. may be full of bondo and at least a little too high on price. thanks guys
swizzlestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:12 PM   #8
itstheshu
Account Suspended

It looks like it has the wrong doors to be a 53.
itstheshu is offline   Reply With Quote