The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
tex_waco_usmc
Project Heaven in my 67!!!

Cant bring myself to do it... Need opinions

So, a lot of thought has gone into this and I just cant bring myself to do it. I have come across a 1968 50th Anniversary 1/2ton 2WD. I was going to use it to do a cummins swap and mount 3/4 or 1 ton suspension underneath it. After a lot of thought I decided I cant do that to an Anniversary. I am currently working on getting a TX title for it. Once I do I am thinking of just selling it and then buying a 67-72 3/4 or 1ton (Non-Anniversary) and do the conversion to it. The 68 is almost complete (including drivetrain) just needs to be reassembled. There are only minor small parts that are missing. The front clip is disassembled but most of the parts are still there.

So, in your opinion...Am I making the right call? Or should I just do the conversion to the Anni????
tex_waco_usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
OhOneWS6

Re: Cant bring myself to do it... Need opinions

That all depends on what you want in the end. Personally I'd probably just do the conversion. It's not like these trucks are that rare. On the other hand, it may be a lot less work for you if you start with a 3/4 or 1 ton. The bigger issue I see is the title. I wouldn't do anything with the truck without the title. Texas can be a real pain when it comes to titles these days. Post some pics of the truck here. I'm sure you are going to get a variety of opinions.
OhOneWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
71sierragrande
Petroleum User

I agree with you.

1971 GMC Sierra Grande 2WD 1/2 ton, 350/400 auto
2008 Chevy Silverado 2WD 1/2 ton LT1 5.3L auto
71sierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
tex_waco_usmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhOneWS6 View Post
That all depends on what you want in the end. Personally I'd probably just do the conversion. It's not like these trucks are that rare. On the other hand, it may be a lot less work for you if you start with a 3/4 or 1 ton. The bigger issue I see is the title. I wouldn't do anything with the truck without the title. Texas can be a real pain when it comes to titles these days. Post some pics of the truck here. I'm sure you are going to get a variety of opinions.
I will put up some pics of it as soon as I can. The title is not an issue. I have already started the process and will have it in less than 20 days and it actually wasnt that bad, I was able to complete it from Afghanistan.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
tex_waco_usmc

Name:  IMG_0637.JPG
Views: 199
Size:  81.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0638.JPG
Views: 196
Size:  72.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0639.JPG
Views: 196
Size:  76.5 KB

So it might not look like much but I have complete drivetrain and complete front end for this truck.... But, I just cant bring myself to cut it up being an Anniversary and all... Plus, I kinda need the heavier suspension of a 3/4 or 1 ton to be able to hold the weight of the driveline I am going to put in it...

Desicions are so hard sometimes! LOL Just got off the phone with the State of TX and it will take some time but I will have title in hand on this puppy before I return home from Afghanistan...
Old 11-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #6
tex_waco_usmc

No one has any opinions of what I should do??? So, not normal for this bunch! LOL

Should I keep it and hack it up to make a cummins conversion or sell it and buy another 3/4 or 1 ton to hack up that isnt an anniversary?
Old 11-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #7
'68 C-20

IMO you might as well go ahead and do what you want to do with it. It needs a full restoration anyway, it stands a better shot at gracing the grandeur of the highway again if you do what you are ready to do. If you have feelings regarding the Anniversary status of the truck, (and I applaud you for that),then pay homage to that status, and keep the original colors and features that make it a special edition.

It will likely be the only 3/4 ton Cummins Anniversary truck in Texas. What's old is new again!
’26 Ford Model T
‘72 Triumph Spitfire 1500
'09 "The Briggs Flyer" Gettin' High.
'68 C-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #8
tex_waco_usmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68 C-20 View Post
IMO you might as well go ahead and do what you want to do with it. It needs a full restoration anyway, it stands a better shot at gracing the grandeur of the highway again if you do what you are ready to do. If you have feelings regarding the Anniversary status of the truck, (and I applaud you for that),then pay homage to that status, and keep the original colors and features that make it a special edition.

It will likely be the only 3/4 ton Cummins Anniversary truck in Texas. What's old is new again!
Thanks '68 C20... That was well said, and you are probably right if I were to do the Cummins Swap into her it would definitely be the only 1968 3/4 ton Cummins Anniversary in TX...well as far as I am aware of anyway. Sad part about all of this, is the fact that not 48 hours ago I bought the donor truck, a 95 Dodge 3500 (see below)...

Name:  95 Dodge.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  7.0 KB

Planning on using the dodge as a farm truck until I am ready to tear her down for her heart...

I am just having issues with the fact that she is an Anniversary and dang near complete...Minus the putting her back together part. LOL
Old 11-01-2011, 05:28 PM   #9
big bad orange

I think you got to do what you got to do,BUT than is a very special '68.I would sell the '68 and just get the 1 ton that you need.I think it easier and also I like the original look of the truck
big bad orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:33 PM   #10
tex_waco_usmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad orange View Post
I think you got to do what you got to do,BUT than is a very special '68.I would sell the '68 and just get the 1 ton that you need.I think it easier and also I like the original look of the truck
That is kind of what I am leaning towards now, but I guess I have a few more months to think about it while I am finishing my time out here in AFghanistan...
Old 11-01-2011, 05:43 PM   #11
big bad orange

Just wanted to say thanks for serving the U.S. over there.
big bad orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:45 PM   #12
C20-67_N_MO
Champagne Taste on Beer Budget

I say go for it.

Would be unquie and great truck once you finish it.

Sounds like you just need a 3/4 ton or 1 ton frame to start this project.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #13
tex_waco_usmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad orange View Post
Just wanted to say thanks for serving the U.S. over there.
@Big Bad Orange -- Thank You!
Old 11-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #14
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68 C-20 View Post

I can agree with this it will still be an anniversary. If you do the work correctly and with attention to detail it will be a nice truck better than some scrapper getting hold of it and gone forever.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote