The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2003, 12:34 PM   #1
Mike Culpepper
Red

Painting trim

I did a search on painting trim and found a few threads about using a Sharpie which I may try.
But, I was wondering if anyone has painted the trim, what kind of paint did you use? Did you take the trim off, or try to paint it while still ON the truck? I came across a few posts talking about what a PITA is is to put trim back on, so I want to avoid this if at all possible.
Mike

"The sun don't shine on the same dog's ass all the time." - Catfish Hunter (commenting on why he was not able to pitch another perfect game).
Mike Culpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 12:38 PM   #2
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

I wouldn't atempt to paint it on the truck. It's a pain to put back on, but it will go back on if you're paitient with it. Acrylic enamel will stick as long as you scuff it first.
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 01:38 PM   #3
7T1BURB

I initially thought I would paint the trim ON the BURB, but decided against it when I made the decision to go full bore on the bodywork / restoration. Having removed all the lower trim off the BURB last winter prior to starting body work, I scuffed each painted insert portion lightly with scotch-brite (fine) and then masked as appropriate, then applied a light coat of etching primer. I allowed the etching primer to dry overnight (in the living room) and then painted with "Trim Paint" (available in a spray can at most automotive paint stores) ; I waited only 30 minutes for the Trim Paint to set up and carefully removed the masking tape. Not too time consuming and the results are well worth the effort it took....hope this helps!
7T1BURB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 02:57 PM   #4
AndrewDT

You might want to consider using pinstripe tape instead of paint. Daburb suggested it to me and for my trim it worked great.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:28 PM   #5
Mike Culpepper
Red

All good ideas!
I will see how much time I have as to whether I pull the trim off or not.
I have to find some clips that I can use first.
Mike

"The sun don't shine on the same dog's ass all the time." - Catfish Hunter (commenting on why he was not able to pitch another perfect game).
Old 04-17-2003, 06:12 PM   #6
treefrog

Teim Touchup

I tried the Sharpie, but it has a noticable purple tint to it. A marker type pen would be fabulous. Marks-a-lot has the same purple tint. Both noticabley clash with satin black. If anybody knows of a marker without the purple tint it would be great to share it. I'm using a # 01 brush to touch up. TF
treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 06:32 PM   #7
Mike Culpepper
Red

TF, are you using acrylic enamel and brushing? How is it going? Could you post some close up pics when your done?
Mike

Old 04-17-2003, 06:43 PM   #8
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Try your local hobby shop/craft store for a paint pen.They are like a sharpie in size but use paint.I knew an ameteur pinstriper who used them with great sucess on semi's and bikes.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 08:06 PM   #9
Roberty
Hot Damn - Here I Am!!

An old bodyman told me about 20 years ago that the only way to get paint to stick and stay on trim was to scuff the trim up first and use Zinc Chromate primer on it before painting it. I tried it and it worked pretty good on the window trim around an old Z28 I used to have. This was before powder coating though. Powder coating would definately be the best way to go though.

Robert
'70 C-10 - My Grandfather bought it new - original un-restored
Roberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 09:30 PM   #10
Dads72

Go to your local high school art department and see if they have an airbrush with a portable compressor that you could borrow.
Dads72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 01:58 AM   #11
casey

I painted the race track molding on my wifes 78 bronco, twice, it looked like s#it, It took me hours to mask it all off scuffed it up, but the paint keep leaching on the edges of the masking tape, so I took the whole works to a pinstripper, turned out awesome, 100 bucks, but well worth it, compared to the aggrevation of trying to paint it, just my experience

Last edited by casey; 04-18-2003 at 08:57 AM.
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 04:38 AM   #12
Seke69
Space Cadet

Decocolor is one of the paint pen brands that I use for weirdo art projects, they don't always adhere to smooth materials, it'd be a good idea to scuff it up first if you try the paint pen thing. they're like $2.00 a piece at Dick Blick.
Seke69 is offline   Reply With Quote