The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2011, 09:22 AM   #1
paintman

Anybody make a bolt in IFS for a 46?

Ive been snooping around looking at a new IFS to replace the amc pacer front end that was hacked into in my 46. I know weld in units exist but I do not rust my novice skills when it comes to doing the install. Does a bolt in unit exist for this year truck? Or perhaps a bolt in unit from another year truck with the proper the geometry? If I do as a last resort have to go with a weld in IFS, who would you guys recomend? Heres a pick of the ole girl I refer to. Thanx guys!
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
Tony@AirRideTech

Re: Anybody make a bolt in IFS for a 46?

There are a number of reputable front crossmember manufacturers... For what you have though, I would suggest looking at No Limit Engineering or Progressive Automotive. Both of them are great guys, easy to deal with and both have a nice product. Rob over at No Limit is a strong site supporter as well. and I know that Bob from Progressive gets on here from time to time too.
Tony@AirRideTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:24 AM   #3
jmedero

Scotts has a nice front ifs for it as well. Justin over there would be the one to talk to. Hope this helps.
Juan

justin@scottshotrods.com
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-05-2011, 03:13 AM   #4
andrewmp6

Honestly i would trust a welded in better then something bolted in.If you can't weld or don't want to mess with it look in your phone book for a chassis shop they can do it for you.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
jmedero

Well all gm trucks from 60 to 87 crossmembers are bolted in. My nova front clip bolts in. I think if done right you will never have any problems.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-05-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
cdowns

GM cars had bolt in stuff from as far back as 49 i think and were very common to use on streetrods back in the 60's and 70's//
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:53 PM   #7
paintman

Hey guys thanx for all the responses! After some poking around I found this
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Bolt-I...ber,50961.html
Now I know its for a 47, but was there a frame design change from the 46's to 47's? I would think the only concern would be if the bolt in boxing plates would fit in my 46 frame. Perhaps the 47's have a larger channel? Not that this is what I would do.....but I am curious as to why there is so much available for trucks up to 1941 and trucks after 1946 are 41-46's considered bastard years for these trucks?
Old 11-25-2011, 02:29 AM   #8
andrewmp6

Try pming robnolimit he would know about the frames.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #9
Scottshotrods

We have a weld in ifs for your truck I know you are asking for a bolt in for your 46.
If you would like to have more info you can call me at the shop 805 485-0382 or you can
e-mail me at justin@scottshotrods.com
Scottshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #10
paintman

Well after a year of trolling around looking for something doesn't exist, I finally made my mind up and pulled the trigger on a weld in unit from Scottshotrods .com
Julian was more than patient answering all my questions and I would highly recommend talking to him if your in the market.
Now I just have to wait 3 weeks (every unit is built to order) for my Christmas present! I'll post pics when it comes down my chimney
Old 12-01-2011, 09:44 PM   #11
jmedero

Nice!! You'll love it man.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-02-2011, 02:41 AM   #12
andrewmp6

Did you get it with coilovers or air bags?
Old 12-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #13
paintman

coil overs
Old 12-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #14
paintman

So much for a bolt in unit, looks like I better sharpen up my welding skills! Justin out at Scotts Hot rods changed my mind! LOL!
Old 12-24-2011, 09:38 AM   #15
LUCKIN-FOU
I'M NOT SCARED I HAVE A PLASMA

Paintman, I love that truck. Post more pictures on the install. I really want to see how that truck looks when it's done. What year is the truck? I'm doing a 69 Camaro whith a Scotts front end.
Posted via Mobile Device
garageinsidertv.com [FORUM]

WORK IS FOR PEOPLE WHO CAN'T FISH. I GUESS I'M SCREWED BECAUSED I HATE FISHING.
LUCKIN-FOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:10 AM   #16
paintman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCKIN-FOU View Post
Paintman, I love that truck. Post more pictures on the install. I really want to see how that truck looks when it's done. What year is the truck? I'm doing a 69 Camaro whith a Scotts front end.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hey man! Keep an eye out over on the pre-47 side for my build thread. I'll be starting it after the 1st of the year. Until then....Here's a pic of what the truck looked like before the tear down. If you look in the background of the pic you will see my work truck (I am a contractor) I plan to paint the 46 similar to it to promote my business.
Thanx for the interest!
Old 12-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #17
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
Hey man! Keep an eye out over on the pre-47 side for my build thread. I'll be starting it after the 1st of the year. Until then....Here's a pic of what the truck looked like before the tear down. If you look in the background of the pic you will see my work truck (I am a contractor) I plan to paint the 46 similar to it to promote my business. Thanx for the interest!
Leave that puppy as is!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #18
paintman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Leave that puppy as is!
Sorry man I just never understood how guys can spend hours and hours and mountains of money on their trucks and leave them looking like they just rolled out of a junk yard. The rat look is just not my cup of tea. Besides as I mentioned I bought this truck with the intention of promoting my business, I doubt that anybody would want me painting their home with a truck looking like it currently does.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:49 AM   #19
SCOTI

Quote:
Sorry man I just never understood how guys can spend hours and hours and mountains of money on their trucks and leave them looking like they just rolled out of a junk yard. The rat look is just not my cup of tea. Besides as I mentioned I bought this truck with the intention of promoting my business, I doubt that anybody would want me painting their home with a truck looking like it currently does.
I would spend my money w/someone that retains their spirit of integrity before I would w/someone who sells out to make money.

IMO, your truck will/can promote your business either way..... Painting it up like your commercial trucks/vans to use it as a tax write-off is your choice but it would possibly turn a prospective customer like me away.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 12-25-2011, 02:19 PM   #20
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

paintman your on to a cool project, and it looks like you found a premium quality IFS to bring it up to date.

I think what Scot is trying to say is the look you have on your work trucks is very attention getting but might not look as good on your A/D truck. I understand your not wanting to leave the rustic look on it as you feel it might not reflect your level of professionalism.

You might consider a restored company truck look painted up with nostalgic style logos to really draw attention. Near me there is a carpet company that has a fleet of trucks wrapped with their company logo and advertisement. In front of their shop there is a 40's Ford truck painted stock green with black fenders. It looks pretty stock besides being lowered and sporting a retro styled company logo. Guess which one gets my attention?

I couldn't begin to tell you what brand or size the new trucks are, but I can give a pretty accurate description of that old Ford. It gets my attention every single time I drive by their shop.

Just an outside observation,,,

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #21
paintman

Quote:
I would spend my money w/someone that retains their spirit of integrity before I would w/someone who sells out to make money.

IMO, your truck will/can promote your business either way..... Painting it up like your commercial trucks/vans to use it as a tax write-off is your choice but it would possibly turn a prospective customer like me away.
Scott? How is it that a simple thread about me trying to find a new IFS for my truck can turn into a personnel attack? You know nothing about me or how I run my business.

First off lets address the "spirit of integrity" issue..... Lets see, in your world, everybody that spends 10's of thousands of dollars putting a new trick suspension or engine under their truck, and then hides them with a rusted patina body have kept their spirit of integrity? Or are you saying that the only way to maintain "spirit of integrity" is to drive a bone stock truck as it came off the production line? Please help me understand you logic.

Secondly, lets address the "tax write off" statement. You obviously have an ax to grind with people who own a business. In your world, you think I will somehow be stealing money that the government deserves. In your rush to judgement you ASSumed that I would be deducting my expenses on this truck. YOU ARE WRONG. I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO INTENTIONS ON DOING THIS. It is not worth the anal examination I would receive. Hell it would be easier for me to write off a new air compressor for the garage and say I was using it for spraying shutters off of houses. Now if I was a mechanic and had an automotive shop then that would be a different story.

But lets get back to the idea that even if I was using it as a write off I would be stealing money from the government.

Current tax law would allow me to LEGALLY deduct the cost of the graphics work. So just lets say that's around $2000. So if your capable, do the math, 35% of $2000 is around $700 that you think I will be stealing from the government. Are you with me so far?

What you fail to understand is that $2000 lettering job will generate probably around 35K over the next 5 years in revenue for my business not to mention the revenue it wouldl generate for my suppliers and their employees by me buying supplies from them. ALL OF WHO PAY TAXES SCOTT! Oh and by the way that's 35K I will be paying federal state and NJ sales tax on! Scott in your infinite wisdom did you even know I have to pay 7% NJ sales tax on my income?

So you see what I am getting at Scott? You need not worry about the government being robbed of $700. I think your welfare, unemployment, or social security check will still arrive in the mail every month!

Have a nice day!
Old 12-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #22
SCOTI

Quote:
Scott? How is it that a simple thread about me trying to find a new IFS for my truck can turn into a personnel attack? You know nothing about me or how I run my business.

Have a nice day!
Wow....

You're right about 1 thing. I do not know you. I do not know of your integrity. I do not know how you run your business & have never even thought of it for one nano-second. I made a simple statement that was not a personal attack.

I could (should) have worded my 'spirit of integrity' statement differently. My intent was that there are people in this world like me that appreciate an old truck for what it is (an old truck). I don't like, nor will I ever like an old truck painted up w/a bright, shiny, fresh, paint job & company art work like your work truck (van). I think your truck rocks the way it is. That is just one guys opinion & nothing more. I did not spend 10's of thousands of dollars on trick suspension only to 'hide' it under a rusty patina body. I spent a couple grand to update obviously worn components & am choosing to stick the 48yr old body back on top as is (for the most part anyway). If you took what I said as a personal attack, I apologize if I offended you in any way.

As far as the tax write off statement, it seems like you're judging me? Again, I've never thought about you or your business @ all. I have no axe to grind against people that own their own businesses & I cetrainly didn't ASSUME anything about how you're running yours or SUGGEST that you're stealing money from the government.

As for the rest of your post..... I'm just going to ignore it because I have never considered any part of it.

It's your truck so do what you like & we'll both be good.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 12-26-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:49 PM   #23
paintman

Quote:
Wow....

You're right about 1 thing. I do not know you. I do not know of your integrity. I do not know how you run your business & have never even thought of it for one nano-second. I made a simple statement that was not a personal attack.

I could (should) have worded my 'spirit of integrity' statement differently. My intent was that there are people in this world like me that appreciate an old truck for what it is (an old truck). I don't like, nor will I ever like an old truck painted up w/a bright, shiny, fresh, paint job & company art work like your work truck. I think your truck rocks the way it is. That is just one guys opinion & nothing more. I did not spend 10's of thousands of dollars on trick suspension only to 'hide' it under a rusty patina body. I spent a couple grand to update obviously worn components & am choosing to stick the 48yr old body back on top as is (for the most part anyway). If you took what I said as a personal attack, I apologize if I offended you in any way.

As far as the tax write off statement, it seems like you're judging me? Again, I've never thought about you or your business @ all. I have no axe to grind against people that own their own businesses & I cetrainly didn't ASSUME anything about how you're running yours or SUGGEST that you're stealing money from the government.

As for the rest of your post..... I'm just going to ignore it because I have never considered any part of it.

It's your truck so do what you like & we'll both be good.
Scott, I consider you a stand up guy for coming back to the thread and clearing things up. Perhaps We caught each other on a bad day.
Its just that every time I turn around anymore, whether it be on the internet, T.V. or radio I hear business people such as myself being pissed on, by people who know absolutely nothing about how hard it is for a small business person such as myself to make it anymore. If I could sit down with you over a beer for 30 minutes and talk to you about the new lead regulations that the EPA have imposed upon contractors such as myself and how its effected my bottom line, and not to mention all the hidden fees and licensing requirements (TAXES) I have to pay, you might understand how I may have jumped to conclusions over your post.

As far as the old school look of trucks... I have absolutely no problem with it ( in fact I think its as cool as shzzz) I just don't think it hurt me more then help in my line of work. Hell I have had perspective clients ask if I would open the doors of my work truck to see how I kept it. I guess they figure if I'm a slob in my truck I will be a slob in their home.

Again now that you cleared things up I can assure you I have no hard feelings towards you. Lets just both enjoy our trucks! And I owe you a beer!
Old 12-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #24
SCOTI

Quote:
Scott, I consider you a stand up guy for coming back to the thread and clearing things up. Perhaps We caught each other on a bad day.
Its just that every time I turn around anymore, whether it be on the internet, T.V. or radio I hear business people such as myself being pissed on, by people who know absolutely nothing about how hard it is for a small business person such as myself to make it anymore. If I could sit down with you over a beer for 30 minutes and talk to you about the new lead regulations that the EPA have imposed upon contractors such as myself and how its effected my bottom line, and not to mention all the hidden fees and licensing requirements (TAXES) I have to pay, you might understand how I may have jumped to conclusions over your post.

As far as the old school look of trucks... I have absolutely no problem with it ( in fact I think its as cool as shzzz) I just don't think it hurt me more then help in my line of work. Hell I have had perspective clients ask if I would open the doors of my work truck to see how I kept it. I guess they figure if I'm a slob in my truck I will be a slob in their home.

Again now that you cleared things up I can assure you I have no hard feelings towards you. Lets just both enjoy our trucks! And I owe you a beer!
You owe me absolutely nothing. I appreciate you took the time to reconsider my intent. Good luck w/your build (& your business ).

I look forward to your progress updates.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 12-31-2011, 05:43 PM   #25
mr.chevrolet

well, if he doesnt want it, i'll take that beer.
mr.chevrolet is offline   Reply With Quote