The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
bbc71

msd digital 6al problems

I have Msd digital 6al with ready to run and blaster coil. When the multiple spark quits at 3000 rpm the engine smooths out and runs considerably better. I am also getting and instant 10 degree jump in the timing at 3000 RPM for a total advance of 32 degrees. How can the timing advance that much and why does it run better when the 6al quits the multiple spark???
bbc71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
BurnoutNova

Re: msd digital 6al problems

I run a couple of these boxes and have never had that problem... I don't think the 6al will change your timing on you, it's static without a curve I think. I wonder if your mechanical advance is messed up. MSD has a good tech line, give them a call at 915-855-7123
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
bbc71

its advancing like it's suppose to till about 34-36 and then it makes a 10 degree jump. the mechanical advance is working like its suppose to. have you noticed a difference in the digital as appose to the analogue boxes? the only things different that is happening at 3000rpm is the multiple spark quitting, that's why it seems logical to conclude that that is the reason

here's the link to my build thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=496107
Old 11-30-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Just installed a Digital 6AL in my truck this summer. First one I've used. I also am running an MSD Pro Billet HEI. Thing works like a dream. I would call the MSD Tech Line as mentioned above.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:48 PM   #5
HEI451
Account Suspended

Which Blaster coil? Made in just where? They were made first in the U.S., they are the good ones, then, Mexico, 70 percent failure/problem rate, then, China, not much better. Their HV coils are just as bad, and that is too bad, because MSD coils USED to be the standard in the industry, but today, lots of problems from them.

If you have a spare stock coil, sub it in and try it. If you have an auto part store that can test the coil OFF the vehicle, please do so, and, leave the coil on the machine and running for a while get it up to ops temps, as some coil issues don't show up when they are cold. I'd figure the coil is either in, or just starting to layer short, a very well known, and common failure issue for those Blaster and HV MSD coils. Too bad they aren't still made in Indiana, those Blaster and HV coils were top notch.

PLEASE NOTE, A LAYER SHORTED COIL (ANYONE'S MAKE) CAN, AND HAS TAKEN MSD AND OTHER BRAND IGNITION BOXES OUT IN A HURRY.

ALSO, NO LARGER PLUG GAP THAN .045.

My assumption would be that the multiple spark being fed to the coil is fine, but, the coil itself can't handle it, so, when the thing goes to single fire, the coil is marginal, but feels OK.
HEI451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:05 PM   #6
bbc71

its a brand new blaster 2 coil. is that one of the ones from china or mexico? but would the coil be whats messing up my timing?

Old 12-01-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
bbc71

or is there a better coil i should run? if that's my problem