The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2003, 06:23 PM   #1
enigma2y0u

so I put a 4" lift on my 82-k10

As I said, I put the lift on. Well it seems that when I am accelerating from a stop I get a shke in my shift stick. Also it is slightly present in the whole truck. I have a short box by the way. Anyways, when I put the lift on me and my buddy pulled out the driveline a few inches past where it was going to mount up to check for length problems and that seemed fine. I don't know if this is a common problem or not. I am not a mechanic, but could I need a new set of U-joints? That is the only thing I can think of. It just seems like the truck is running rough, before when I used to stomp on the gas from a light it would get up and have a nice smooth fast acceleration. I still get the fast acceleration, but the smooth is gone.

Also I noticed a performance difference in my engine. Like there was a drop in torque in the rear wheels. This makes sense to me do to the physics of the different angles, but do any of you notice anything like that?
enigma2y0u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 09:57 PM   #2
GMC71k20

did you put bigger tires on? that would kill some torque
GMC71k20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 09:13 AM   #3
Mike C

Most likely your lift kit rotated your axle housing in order to reduce angle on rear u-joint. The unfortunate fact is that this gets it out of sync with the front u-joint, so you have a slight out of phase problem with your u-joints in the rear shaft. The front driveshaft has a CV joint and is less susceptible to this problem. My solution on my Jimmy was to run a rear driveshaft with CV as well. Another option is to lower the transfercase mount so that angles are closer to equal on each end of the rear driveshaft. Some 4" kits come with spacers and longer bolts to do this.

CV shaft wants the driveshaft to be exactly in line with the pinion on the rear, so rotating the nose of the axle up is the right thing to do. Then do the CV on the trans end. I am really pleased with mine, it cost about $75 more than a non-CV shaft, but I have not had to replace a u-joint since getting the shaft (so to speak...) My OEM driveshaft was completely worn out (300k miles) and bent from being chucked out too many times with broken rear joints. That did not help contribute to u-joint longevity.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 11:41 AM   #4
Mudder

I think I have a pic

Of my transfer case and it being lowerd 2 inches using all the stuff that came on the truck. Your TC should have some small spacers on the bolts for the crossmember.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 02:52 PM   #5
CHEVY_FOREVER
USA love it OR leave it!

Lets see some pics..... I am thinking of putting a 4" lift on my 82 as well!

CHEVY_FOREVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 11:11 PM   #6
enigma2y0u

I will next week. My digital camera is in another town. check back.
enigma2y0u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 12:27 PM   #7
Tobes85K5

Mike C, that is some great info. Enigma, is your lift all leafs or do you have blocks in the back? I may be giving myself up here a little, but when I put my 2 1/2 in. lift on my 85 K5, I felt some shimmy as well. I really didn't know what caused it, because there should not have been any bad angle problems with the shaft on that small of a lift. One day, I was under there and looked at the blocks and....I put them in backwards. There is a slight angle to the blocks and I had put mine in the wrong way. I have since corrected it, but I am not sure if I did any permanent damage to the shaft or U-joints. I am not saying you did this, but crazy stuff sometimes happens. I think a lack of sleep and too many beers caught up with my friends and me that night.
Tobes85K5 is offline   Reply With Quote