The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
NobleSix

Question Killswitch, Engage!

no, not the awesome rock group. ive been doing alot of reading around and it seems that these older trucks appear to be pretty good targets for knuckle dragging genetic defectives who some how think its ok to take things from other people who work hard and contribute to society.

so i was talking to my sisters husband and he mentioned wiring a switch to the coil. he didnt really know what all i would need to do so i figured id pick some brains.

i have the switch, it has two blades on it, its either on or its off. its rated at 10A 277vac 20A 125vac 3/4hp. will this switch work?

then i was just wondering how i would go about wiring this switch in?

would it be better to wire it into the coil or into the ignition switch?

eventually i would also like to get a battery disconnect switch put somewhere, mabye in the cab itself. but for now, i figured the smaller kill switch wouldnt be as noticeable to a thief whos trying to hurry and not get caught, thereby buying me some time.

i figure if nothing else, i could always remove the coil to cap wire, but then again a smart thief would notice its missing and replace it, with say, the #1 plug wire and drive off with a dead cylinder.

heres to keeping them safe in the driveway!

R.I.P. Corey "Flattus Maximus" Smoot 11/3/11
You will be missed. Your sound lives on.
NobleSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Re: Killswitch, Engage!

I drilled out a clutch hole delete plate and affixed a keyed switch that was inline with the distributor. The switch is hidden behind the carpet and easy to access.

Whatever you do make sure the hood is secured with a chain looped around the grill support or fab an in-cab release.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:57 PM   #3
michael bustamante

I was thinking about hooking up a magic key to the ignition myself
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-05-2011, 11:15 PM   #4
BMERDOC

Being a BMW mechanic I wouldn't want to run that current through a switch. I'd wanna run it through a relay operated by the switch. You could simply run an inline fuse and just pull that fuse (30 amp?) when you don't want it to run. Just make sure you keep a spare close by so you don't get stuck. Theft is a moment of opprotunity, no thief is gonna want to spend the time to diagnose a no-start. If it were me I'd buy a switch, go to your house, break in, unplug the ignition connector, plug in my own switch and take your truck. If it didn't run I'm not gonna try to figure it out, I'm gonna leave. Higher end thiefs just tow them.
Pulling the coil wire is a good idea, if it sit for longer periods, pulling the rotor is even better.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:46 AM   #5
slikside

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMERDOC View Post
Being a BMW mechanic I wouldn't want to run that current through a switch. I'd wanna run it through a relay operated by the switch. You could simply run an inline fuse and just pull that fuse (30 amp?) when you don't want it to run. Just make sure you keep a spare close by so you don't get stuck. Theft is a moment of opprotunity, no thief is gonna want to spend the time to diagnose a no-start. If it were me I'd buy a switch, go to your house, break in, unplug the ignition connector, plug in my own switch and take your truck. If it didn't run I'm not gonna try to figure it out, I'm gonna leave. Higher end thiefs just tow them.
Pulling the coil wire is a good idea, if it sit for longer periods, pulling the rotor is even better.
This is what I thought I might do when I get around to upgrading to HEI distributor.

The switch to relay sounds like a nicer option, but potentially, more easily defeated (quick look under dash...there's a switch....flip it....try starting again.

Even if a theif finds a missing fuse (unlikely) even he is SOL unless he has one with him.

Hidden secondary keys under carpet sound like the best choice to me.

All of the above are for short term. Like Bmer says, pulling rotor a good choice for longer term.
slikside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:30 AM   #6
domeier

I'd like to get some sort of gps tracker. Heard something about the "cheap cell phone trick." What is that?
domeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
squirel

Check out the link below from Bosch it has many ways to add kill switches using relays. For example having to push the cigarette lighter before truck will start. The kill switches start on pages 13.

http://sonolithics.com/files/bosch.pdf

My build page
http://67chev.shawwebspace.ca/
squirel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
a_barth

I had a key break off in my 91. Luckily the steering is unlocked. What I did was hook up a switch for the ignition and replaced the cigarette lighter with a push button. Close the ash tray and you never even know its there. It would be pretty easy to hide a switch under the dash where only you know where it is but nothing is fool proof. Make sure you lock your hood. If I was a theif I would just pop the hood and hook a wire from the battery to the coil and carry a hand held starter button to hook between the battery and starter and be gone.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by a_barth; 11-07-2011 at 09:22 AM.
a_barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I plan on installing a ford type solenoid hidden in the frame rail inturupting the main battery power. To activate it, I have considered a small switch hooked to the brake pedal. Pedal down, solenoid activated, turn the key like normal. If you don't hit the brake, then the starter will just click like a dead battery.
The beauty of this is no one will notice it. Your friends or even teenage kids (like no teen has ever taken off in dad's car for a joy ride) will never see you tap the brake pedal as you turn the key, but when they try to start it, it'll have a dead battery as far as they can tell. Even if they try to jump it, it'll still be dead. (won't stop a push start if you have a manual trans)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:46 PM   #10
NobleSix

i also read about the cellphone gps tracking method! i think i still have the thread open somewhere, ill try to link it.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=464964

basically you get a cheap prepaid cellphone that has gps capabilities and java, and download an app, then you can track the cellphone through its own gps through the app's website for free. i am defianatly considering this, because i could wire the phone charger into the trucks 12v system and never have to worry about the phone going dead.

ton of good ideas here. thanks folks!

Old 11-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #11
chev3600

There are many places to wire a toggle switch in but if money isnt an issue, there are some cool high-techy options.....http://www.autoloc.com/catalog/Ultra...e-Start-System

I like the idea of a completely hidden switch maybe inside the cluster surround?

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/i...0/AD%20trucks/jumbled mess of unorganized photos
chev3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #12
Pop's C-10

They use to sell a fuel shut off that used a key years ago..that would be a better move cause a coil..cause if they hot wired it & get no spark..then it not hard to know what's up..with no fuel..she'll jus spin..`
Pop's C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:58 PM   #13
screamin_c10
I dun gradjiated collij!!!

Without getting into too much detail on an open web forum..... if they want my ride(s) they had better bring a tow truck.... multiple kills for multiple systems, all remote coded.
screamin_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:00 PM   #14
profe56

I hope the car stealers don't read this thread jejejejejejje
profe56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:07 PM   #15
profe56

I also have a killer switch that only works if I push a button and turn the switch to start at the same time at my truck.
Also at others cars my electric mechanic friend did install an alarm that works only if the doors are open and doesnt work with remote control but it had a hidden switch that I turned of before I open the door.
profe56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:10 PM   #16
stich626
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
I plan on installing a ford type solenoid hidden in the frame rail inturupting the main battery power. To activate it, I have considered a small switch hooked to the brake pedal. Pedal down, solenoid activated, turn the key like normal. If you don't hit the brake, then the starter will just click like a dead battery.
The beauty of this is no one will notice it. Your friends or even teenage kids (like no teen has ever taken off in dad's car for a joy ride) will never see you tap the brake pedal as you turn the key, but when they try to start it, it'll have a dead battery as far as they can tell. Even if they try to jump it, it'll still be dead. (won't stop a push start if you have a manual trans)
nice idea, sadly it won't help.. today it's almost 2nd nature to hold the brake to start/shift so.. a lowlife might hit the brake out of doing it daily..
I'm gonna use the extra remote turn on of my radio. you know the one that powers up the amps or power antenna.. and as seen as I'll have the radios face.. no power to the starter.. yes easy to bypass , but there will also be an ign kill.. a ford tank switch works good too.. front tank on, it start, rear on , dead
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:55 PM   #17
NobleSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirel View Post
Check out the link below from Bosch it has many ways to add kill switches using relays. For example having to push the cigarette lighter before truck will start. The kill switches start on pages 13.

http://sonolithics.com/files/bosch.pdf

thats what im talkin bout willis! ive had more than a few discussions about wiring in a few relays here and there, but nobody ever had it on paper... or e-paper lol.
so i think the one i like best is the one that utilizes the cigarette lighter, and still allows me to use it, together with also having a hidden switch somewhere.

my biggest concern is, if our would be thief did his homework and had his lil remote starter setup like BMERDOC had mentioned, would he still be able to bypass the entire setup? i ask cause i havnt been able to find an accurate wiring diagram and do some sketching of my own.

anyone know where an accurate wiring diagram for a 69' c10 without A/c can be found? the best i got is a haynes book of lies.

im also very interested in getting either a chain for my hood or some such locking mechanism to keep my battery in, and would-be thieves out.

anyone have a link to a thread that goes over this?

my house is in the not-so-great part of town. im even afraid to leave it in the parking lot of wally world during the daytime. so i figure removing the cig lighter is alot easier and alot less conspicuous than removing a rotor or a plug wire.

thanks again for the great ideas folks!

Old 11-07-2011, 12:49 AM   #18
71gmcburb

what i did i use a ford starter sylonoid (sp) and wired it to my headlight dimmer switch and also use marine termanals for the batt to allow ease of disconnect for winter storage. had a lowlife brake into my 66 and tryed to start it and they did alot of damage to the switch but the van stayed home

1 - Don't sweat the small stuff

2 - Everything is small stuff
71gmcburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:03 AM   #19
stich626
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobleSix View Post

my biggest concern is, if our would be thief did his homework and had his lil remote starter setup like BMERDOC had mentioned, would he still be able to bypass the entire setup? i ask cause i havnt been able to find an accurate wiring diagram and do some sketching of my own.

anyone know where an accurate wiring diagram for a 69' c10 without A/c can be found? the best i got is a haynes book of lies.

im also very interested in getting either a chain for my hood or some such locking mechanism to keep my battery in, and would-be thieves out.

anyone have a link to a thread that goes over this?

!
the chain is easy, one piece bolted to the hood at the latch and another to the other half of the latch and a small padlock..

and as far as the "getting around the starter kill" with a cheap remote switch a low life might carry, if you kill the ign it not start they are not gonna spend all night try'n to get it going, cause if they do.. nothing short of chaining it to the ground is gonna stop them.
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:22 AM   #20
a_barth

Kill switch to the ignition, battery disconnect, and a hidden fuel diconnect are about as safe as your gonna get. Add in an alarm and a set of flowmasters, glasspacks, or whatever your choice and even if they do get the truck started you'll know it and if they don't find the fuel disconnect they won't make it far. Then they have to deal with me chasing after them and nobody likes a pissed off redneck in his underwear wielding a gun at 2:00a.m.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:38 AM   #21
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I dont think anyone can really prevent theft of their vehicle, but if you make it more difficult the lowlifes will move on to something easier.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #22
Bert W

A lot of great ideas here. I have been a cop for 25 years and have never arrested a car thief with a BS or Masters degree. What ever you decide to do, make sure it is well hidden or camoflaged. It doesn't have to be elctronically complicated. The thief is not going to, or not for very long, try and decode the issue of it not starting. When I get mine back together, I'll use some of these ideas. If Memphis Raines lives in your area the GPS is your best bet. Great thread!
Bert W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #23
no moa

I'm going to buy a rabid put bull named killa, that will sleep
In the truck at night. Let's see those puckers faces when they wing that door open! Lol

I am paranoid about this, I've had scrap guys sneaking around the house, I live in the back 40, so most of my stuff is garaged or way out back. But those buggers are persistent as I have a crapload of junk cars. I put in 2 bullet cameras, alarm in the garage, and I block the entrance of my garage and storage area with either the wrecker or big betha (John Deere 410 4c4 backhoe) if the get by those to, let them have it, I don't want to see the loader that dragged that backhoe around. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451950

1971 c10 step 250 3 OTT

1969 c30 TOW-MATER. 307 4 speed, holmes 440 body.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451082

2006 CTS-V LS2 6spd.
no moa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:34 AM   #24
domeier

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_barth View Post
nobody likes a pissed off redneck in his underwear wielding a gun at 2:00a.m.
I sleep nekkid. I'll probably be the one who gets arrested instead of the car thief.
domeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #25
a_barth

Yeh may wanna be careful, with the way things are today you'll not only get arrested but probably get sued by the thief for exposing your self and have to sell the truck to pay for a settlement.