The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
Miller92

Its not about a pickup but I could use some opinions

Ok I'm 19 and its time I do something with myself cause these crap jobs around here aint doing nothing for me. I've thought bout it for over a year and have decided to quit thinking bout it and join the military. My only problem is I'm not quite sure what I wanna do just yet. I've always wanted to be a firefighter since I was a kid and the Navy has that so I thought bout the Navy, but no matter what I'm doing I've always loved helping people and the Coast Guard is more of helping people than the Navy like when there's a tornado or hurricane.

Anybody got any opinions on what to do? Any info would be great.

Thanks
Miller92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
Sillyoldman

Re: Its not about a pickup but I could use some opinions

Moving to General Discussion.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
b454rat

I was in the Navy, not as a fire fighter, but sat in front of a computer for 12 hours a day. Whatever you do, which ever branch you go with, make sure you have in writing that you have an "A" school. What this means, once you graduate boot camp, you go to a school to learn a job. In your case fireman. If you don't, you go undesignated, say hello to the USS Neverport. 9 out of 10 times they will send you where they need you, a ship. You will do all the dirty work on the ship, basically the lowest job in the military. I hope I didn't offend anybody!!!

I was in for 8 years. It was real, it was fun, but not real fun. I didn't particularly care for my job, so just did what I had to and got out. I have no clue what I'd be doing now if I didn't go in, tho what I'm doing now has absolutely nothing to do with what I did.....
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:26 PM   #4
cdowns

i went in the navy cause i figured they didnt dig too many foxholes or go on very long marches in the jungle. i loved being on a ship traveling around the world and not being in the same place for long periods of time
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
Miller92

Sorry Silly, I didn't even think bout that. I normally just get on that forum so thats where I posted it.

Rat, do you do that before you sign on or what? I don't know the slightest thing bout how things work so I'm tryin to learn everything I can.

I love to go out on boats and everything but if imma do that for a living I'd much rather be on a shrimp boat having funn than watching people take off and land planes all day.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
domeier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller92 View Post
Rat, do you do that before you sign on or what?
It works like this:

In the recruiter's office:
You: "I want a guarantee for (x) job."

Recruiter: "You got it, pal. I personally guarantee it. You have my word, buddy."

At completion of basic training:
Guy with list: "Johnson, Dale and Lopez, fall out for the bus that goes to GOOD JOB TRAINING SCHOOL. All the rest of yooz guys, take these putty knives and start scraping rust off this ship."

Yeah man, you need a signed document that states exactly what you and the recruiter agreed to, or that conversation never happened.

Oh, and I say Coast Guard. I wish I'd done that instead of AF.
domeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #7
Miller92

My uncle is an Army Ranger and he said since I graduated from an accredited scool I should be alright as far as the "A" school thing. He's only got 18 months before he retires from the Army and he told me if he could do it all over again he'd do the Guard as well so I'm leaning more towards that at the moment.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:01 PM   #8
CG
BlahBlahBlah

One of my brothers did ten years in the Air Force as a fire fighter. Been at Boeing as a fire fighter now for 20 years.

One of my other brothers is real close to getting his 20 in as an Air Force fire fighter, fire fighter trainer and now counselor for the unit. He is stationed in San Angelo.

I dont know anything about the other branches, I just know the Air Force has been great for these two.

Mark
Old 11-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

talk to a recruiter. Ask what jobs are open, and ask what jobs have a sign on bonus.
Whatever you do.... make sure that the job you pick, translates into a job in the real world. You may not like the life, and get out after 3 years or whtever they get you to sign up for. The betterr it translates, the better off you'll be after getting out.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:09 AM   #10
DREAMER1

Personally I never went into the military. I have a wife and kids and can't travel very much. You have a great advantage, join the military, learn a craft, travel to Germany, Australia, Hawaii. See beautiful women, taste exotic foods, hear funny music. 4-8-10 years from now you can settle down as a firefighter and be able to tell the new recruits of the weird guy with all the tattoos you talked to in Tibet. Instead of telling them you were born, raised and will die without seeing what the world around you is all about. Just an old guy's 2 cents.
Posted via Mobile Device
DREAMER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:53 AM   #11
big_al_71

I never went in the military but running a big business one thing I learned early in my careeer was WHATEVER you do get it on WRITING and make sure that you READ what you are signing....As already mentioned make sure that you get a job that will translate to the civilian world good luck to you!!!!

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:20 PM   #12
Miller92

Thanks everybody. So far I'm still leaning towards the Coast Guard and am going to talk to a recruiter and see what they have to offer either tomorrow or Wednesday. Right now the job I'm looking at is called Maritime Security and its like the SWAT of the Coast Guard. They handle all the Anti-Terrorism over the waters, Drug Trafficking, Port Security, and regular Law Enforcement. I figure do that til either my contract is up or I retire, then when I get out I can go be a police officer or Border Patrol or whatever.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:28 PM   #13
leddzepp

My brother has been in the Coast Guard for almost 20 years. He loves it and wouldn't do anything else.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:44 PM   #14
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

THAT sounds like a job that will translate! Depeinding on exactly what you do, you could be open to more jobs... like FBI.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:57 AM   #15
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

check out my thread lol

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=480136

im 19 too lol joined the air force i leave march 6th

How smart are ya lol, coast guard needs a 70 asvab score, i scored a 67 (could've probably taken it again). coast guard was my first thought too

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:12 AM   #16
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Spent 6 years in the Navy, a long time ago (Vietnam Vet). It did help me get a great paying job later in my life. I now work at a nuclear power plant and my income is well into the six figures. However, take time to learn what each branch offers. For instance, the words "FIREMAN" in the Navy may not mean "Fire FIghter". Fireman also means that you are working in the engine rooms or boiler rooms. I was Machinist Mate/Fireman until I started making rate and moving up.

Sit down with the recruiter and talk to him, listen to what he says---get a second opinion (No Joke here). Remember this guy gets points for signing people up, so make sure you have it in writing as to what you are going to do when you get out of Boot Camp. I would hope tha you have decent grades from school, that helps set your goals while in the service. Personally, I would not trade some of the time in the service for a college degree, but there are days that you just hate the military.

Note: Out of my graduating class, I make more than most of the college degreed people that I went to school with. You can make something of a military period.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:02 PM   #17
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Police training sounds like a great deal.Shoot for enough training and experience to get out and become a Hiway Patrolman.Or XBI agent.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:52 PM   #18
Squareforceone

I don't know a whole lot about the military but i did frequent firehouse fourms for a long time, i really want to be a firefighter but getting hired sounds almost impossible.. anyways in terms of being a firefighter in the military MAKE SURE you have it in WRITING that that's what you want to do in the military talk to the recruiter about it before siging anything
Squareforceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:01 PM   #19
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareforceone View Post
i really want to be a firefighter but getting hired sounds almost impossible..
It IS....cause everybody and their cousin wants to do it. I had friends that volunteered for years and never got hired. Most finally gave up and went on to something else.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #20
Miller92

Thanks everybody yall have all been a huge help!

OldBlue, I damn sure aint the brightest bulb on the shelf so we'll see how mine goes.

Panel, if I do get the job I'm wanting I was actually thinking bout Highway Patrol went I get out. I used to want to be one but everybody has told me its real hard to become one.

I'm filling out some stuff for the recruiter to do my background check and everything right now, hopefully I'll get to go to the office sometime tomorrow and actually sit down and talk bout everything. Thanks again for all the opinions everybody!