The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #1
Atommik

Lengthing a tilt column?

I just got a used GM tilt column(column shift) for almost nothing. It seems to be too short for my 51 pickup. I think it's from a caprice. It needs to be about 4-5 inches longer...Is there any way to safely lengthen it or am I better off looking for something else??
Atommik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:41 PM   #2
daverod
SSN 706

Re: Lengthing a tilt column?

would it help if you just hung it alittle lower on the dash. I know you can get brackets or just make somthing that would do that.
daverod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:51 PM   #3
mr48chev

I actually had to shorten the tilt column (74 Cutlass I think) that I put in the 48 when I had the rear steering Nova Subframe in it. It's pretty simple to collapse them to shorten them but I have never tried to make one longer. I've got a couple of junk tilts out in the shed and I'll play with one tomorrow if I get time. I don't think you could get more than an inch or two though.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:33 AM   #4
OrrieG

Usually people are having to make them shorter to avoid interference on the engine side of the firewall. I got an Eldorado column because they are 4" shorter than the "standard" rear wheel drive columns of the 80's.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:54 AM   #5
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atommik View Post
I just got a used GM tilt column(column shift) for almost nothing. It seems to be too short for my 51 pickup. I think it's from a caprice. It needs to be about 4-5 inches longer...Is there any way to safely lengthen it or am I better off looking for something else??
Where is the end of the column in relation to the firewall? A Caprice column should be plenty long.

I moved the seats back (built brackets) in my S-10 and needed a longer column. I used one (tilt telescopic) from a 77 Cadillac and locked the telescopic feature in the longest position. By discarding the telescopic feature I was able to use an aftermarket steering wheel. Just another option.

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:34 AM   #6
Atommik

I don't have a hole cut in the firewall yet, (new floor, new firewall) but when I mock up the column where I think it should sit on the dash, the very end of the column barely reaches the floor. It needs to pass thru, so the column shift arm will be in the correct spot.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #7
mknittle

I have shortened 3 for jeeps and built one for my 52, but i have never heard of one being too short.unless it was shortened for a model a or something. the caprice one that I used for parts for my 25 Gmc needed to be shortened 6"

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=474288

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #8
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atommik View Post
I don't have a hole cut in the firewall yet, (new floor, new firewall) but when I mock up the column where I think it should sit on the dash, the very end of the column barely reaches the floor. It needs to pass thru, so the column shift arm will be in the correct spot.
Please post a photo of your mock up. Do you have your seats in place? Usually later model steering wheels tend to crowd the seats (reason so many bigger guys move the gas tanks).
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #9
Atommik

I don't know for sure what it's out of, the guy I got it from found it in the trunk of a project car he bought. By the looks of it I'd say early 80 to early 90's...
Just got in from the garage...How close to the dash could the shift lever be?

Half inch...one inch...if that's the case it may work. I was looking at the mount holes on the column compared to the mount holes on the dash and I think that caused my miscalculation on the length.

Live and learn. Thanks for all of the input. I plan on starting a build thread soon...I wanted to get a little farther along though...
Old 11-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #10
mr48chev

Unless you are running a perfectly flat wheel the depth of the wheel moves the rim of the wheel out several inches from stock.
I measured both of my trucks and the stock wheel "rim" and horn button sit 32 inches from the floor so that is the absolute furthest you want the wheel rim from toe board where the column goes through the firewall.

If you have the wheel you are going to use put it on the column and set it on the table with the column sticking up and measure up 32 inches and that is pretty close to where the column "should" go through the floor. Some guys like the wheel a bit closer to the dash but you assuredly don't want it further from the dash and closer to you.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:55 PM   #11
Atommik

Just measured, 31" ! Looks like all is well with the column I have. Thanks again for everyone's help!!
Old 11-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #12
mr48chev

If you are using the column shifter you will need at least three or four inches sticking out on the engine side of the firewall.